Epic - places to "connect with the sea"

K&M2009

One of my favorite things to do on cruises is going to the furthest point possible forward on the ship at night and just feel the fresh air whipping by and watch the front of the ship as it cruises through the ocean. Is there a spot or hopefully multiple spots on the Epic where you can be on the front of the ship and see completely forward with just a railing, no tall plexiglass blocking the wind?

Also, it seems like the lifeboats pretty much obstruct most of the view from the promenade deck. Are there plenty of other areas where you can see the ocean? When you're inside, are there a lot of big windows to see the ocean as well?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions but just trying to get a feel for the ship. The good thing is that I know I'll at least have my private balcony :)

One of my favorite things to do on cruises is going to the furthest point possible forward on the ship at night and just feel the fresh air whipping by and watch the front of the ship as it cruises through the ocean. Is there a spot or hopefully multiple spots on the Epic where you can be on the front of the ship and see completely forward with just a railing, no tall plexiglass blocking the wind?

No such place exists on the Epic, unfortunately. That's one of the few issues I had with the ship. It's good that you have a balcony stateroom.

I just figured out, I think, that the very top area on the front is the restricted posh beach club. That would be a nice area on the top of the ship to see forward, but I'm just a wee little peasant that cannot afford to access it.

So in the picture below, there are about 4 levels on the front between the bridge and the helipad area (that is a helipad right?). Can you not access those areas?

1024x768-hero-front.jpg

Also, it seems like the lifeboats pretty much obstruct most of the view from the promenade deck. Are there plenty of other areas where you can see the ocean? When you're inside, are there a lot of big windows to see the ocean as well?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions but just trying to get a feel for the ship. The good thing is that I know I'll at least have my private balcony :)

Nope. No such place. Lucky for you, EPIC is the only ship out there without this.

Lucky for me, EPIC is out there. :)

Ah, okay. I thought they might be crew only but wasn't sure. I could've sworn I saw a helipad on pictures of the Epic a while ago but I guess not. It did seem small to be a helipad and did look more like a pool that didn't make sense in my head to be a pool there :). Thanks for the clarification Chris.

That does tick me off that I can't even access the front of the ship at all. Can I even get in any part of that top hat - just an outside deck, since I'm staying in a balcony stateroom? I'm really confused now after seeing that "posh moved' thread. I just would like to know (since apparently being able to stand on the front of the ship is too much to ask) if I can even access any part of the top hat without paying extra for a pass or being a villa room occupant.

what about the quiet sundeck on deck 18?

Someone that just got off the Epic actually just mentioned this on the "posh moved" thread. It seems like I would have access to that. I am having a hard time visualizing how everything is laid out on the different levels of the top hat though now. Information overload has just confused me...wish I could walk through it in person now.

Well as far as the furthest point forward go's, La Cucina may be the place. While there is no "fresh air whipping by", it does provide a very nice view (and meal), provided you are seated at the window.

I did not like the layout of the Epic at all.

2010EpicCruise036.jpg

Someone that just got off the Epic actually just mentioned this on the "posh moved" thread. It seems like I would have access to that. I am having a hard time visualizing how everything is laid out on the different levels of the top hat though now. Information overload has just confused me...wish I could walk through it in person now.

I totally understand information overload. LOL! I was in a suite (thanks upsell fairy!) but when we were pulling into the Bahamas I went to the very top deck which on that layout on the "posh moved" thread is called "public sundeck". it was public - lots of people taking pictures. I don't know how to get to it because I came from Posh up the stairs. But it's wide open and does have chairs to lay on.

La Cucina is a beautiful place to be when you're pulling out of port. We pulled out of St. Maarten as we sat to dine there. It was lovely.

K&M2009--'connect with the sea' --I love that as I share your desires!!! You're one up on me with that balcony though! :) I do hope you will come back to report your favorite 'connections at sea'. And, I don't mean the romantic kind!! :p ;)

Enjoy your countdown and your cruise! :cool:

what about the quiet sundeck on deck 18?

The quiet sundeck on deck 18 has tall plexi-glass panels that inhibit your view of the sea. On the top deck of the pool area there are none of those panels but unless you have a chair you wont be able to get to the rail while at sea during peak hours. The pool deck has those tall plexi-glass panels also. Moving further back to Spice H2O at the back of the ship which is a nice adults only area the view aft is blocked by the giant, under utilized big screen TV. There are also plexi-glass panels all around that area.

Bottom line: Very few OUTDOOR places on the Epic other than your balcony to enjoy the ocean. Having one of the Studio rooms and being a semi-new cruiser that somewhat limited my shipboard experience.

It did not, however, stop me from going on a second trip on a very fun ship.

Thanks Colin. That seems like a very reasonable overview. I have no doubt the Epic will be a blast, and I'll find some nice spots to just enjoy the view I'm sure even if there are a few hindrances. I don't mind waterslides and big TVs blocking some of the view for entertainment sake ;)...just wish cruise ships weren't so obsessed with the plexiglass these days!

Colin, just out of curiosity since I see that you've sailed the Epic twice, how did your second sailing compare to the first? One, from your point of view and what you learned from your first trip that you took advantage of on your second trip, and two - what the ship improved on from when it was just starting out.

Colin, just out of curiosity since I see that you've sailed the Epic twice, how did your second sailing compare to the first? One, from your point of view and what you learned from your first trip that you took advantage of on your second trip, and two - what the ship improved on from when it was just starting out.

One thing that the Epic improved upon greatly for me as a solo traveler was having a crew member in the Studio Lounge to coordinate dinners, entertainment, games, etc for any solo travelers who wanted to participate. On my first cruise the lounge was barely even used. This past cruise it was busy with a great happy hour.

My first trip was excellent so I didn't particularly see any big changes that affected my enjoyment the second time. What the second time did allow me to do was enjoy more things by planning my time better. There is so much to do on board the Epic that I think some of us, especially cruising newbees, to be a bit overwhelmed. I do wish though that I had taken more advantage of the specialty restaurants.

Now that I've done the Epic experience twice with much satisfaction I will move along to another ship like the Pearl to Alaska.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

C.

Yeah, I don't want to feel like I didn't take advantage of everything the ship has to offer when my vacation is done. I know I'm not going to be able to do every restaurant and every single thing, but I want to make sure I'm really doing everything I can. I didn't know if you had any tips on specific areas to take advantage of that it took you one or two cruises on the Epic to really figure out.

It did not, however, stop me from going on a second trip on a very fun ship.

this is my favorite line Colin! We enjoyed the ship a lot, even with some of its quirks. So much that we booked again. It's a hell of a wait, but it will be worth it :)

K&M - you'll find a spot aboard her to enjoy!! There were times (before I left) that I felt completely overwhelmed about what there was to do, and what I would miss and what I HAD to see. But I just did the whole "go with the flow" and besides really going to a couple restaurants i wanted, I tried to relax and let the days happen. Have FUN!!!

I totally understand information overload. LOL! I was in a suite (thanks upsell fairy!) but when we were pulling into the Bahamas I went to the very top deck which on that layout on the "posh moved" thread is called "public sundeck". it was public - lots of people taking pictures. I don't know how to get to it because I came from Posh up the stairs. But it's wide open and does have chairs to lay on.

La Cucina is a beautiful place to be when you're pulling out of port. We pulled out of St. Maarten as we sat to dine there. It was lovely.

Do you mean that the forward sundeck on deck 18 is public or are you talking about the sundecks on the sides on deck 18? If the forward part is public, one more suiteperk is gone!

Do you mean that the forward sundeck on deck 18 is public or are you talking about the sundecks on the sides on deck 18? If the forward part is public, one more suiteperk is gone!

No changes. Deck 18 forward is exclusive to suites/villas.

The poster is referring to the deck 18 public sundeck open to all. Very nice views. They have plexiglass for buffering the wind. You access this area either via a special glass elevator on deck 15 just outside the Garden Cafe or go to deck 17 and walk up the stairs to deck 18. You can freely enter to the left. To the right is the private keycard access to POSH Beach Club.

No such place exists on the Epic, unfortunately. That's one of the few issues I had with the ship. It's good that you have a balcony stateroom.

Lack of promenade deck to walk around, and forward facing public areas add to the reasons we canceled our Epic cruises. I do not want to back those that love the Epic, but some of the decisions made for that ship have kept us from sailing her.

I am GLAD that others are happy with her though.

Archived