Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I like your thinking gymbomb! The more photos, the better my chances of a good one;)!

When a photographer is in the dining room, it never fails that he/she wants a picture just as our hot entree is placed! DH & I usually clink wine glasses and try to say "Cheese" (why cheese??) as quickly as possible.

The posed photos for formal night are usually the best. This time we might do a couple casual poses...and maybe even agree to stand with a pirate or "dolphin" when we step off the gangplank at a port:cool:.

I will admit I bought the dolphin picture this summer.... But only because it had my 5 year old niece in it and she was sooo excited about meeting the dolphin :)

We returned last night w/ lots of great Thanksgiving memories and a little extra on the scale:eek:! Weather has gone from 60 and sunny on Turkey Day to a dusting of snow this morning:eek:.

That makes the Next Cruise that much better.

Only a little packing left. DH has yet to choose his formal night attire...but tags are attached and we're in a single-digit countdown:cool:.

Here's how the Cruise Room looks today:

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B6%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3595396794335nu0mrj

The shirt w/ palm trees in DH's suitcase came from a thrift store for $3.99. The brand is Cabana Banana and I was super happy to find it...AND DH likes it, too:).

The orange & white dress was a thrift store find several cruises ago.

Packing for a cruise can be compared to pulling out family Christmas tree ornaments: Many of them bring back memories of good times pasticon14.gif.

Edited by indiana71

We returned last night w/ lots of great Thanksgiving memories and a little extra on the scale:eek:! Weather has gone from 60 and sunny on Turkey Day to a dusting of snow this morning:eek:.

That makes the Next Cruise that much better.

Only a little packing left. DH has yet to choose his formal night attire...but tags are attached and we're in a single-digit countdown:cool:.

Here's how the Cruise Room looks today:

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B6%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3595396794335nu0mrj

The shirt w/ palm trees in DH's suitcase came from a thrift store for $3.99. The brand is Cabana Banana and I was super happy to find it...AND DH likes it, too:).

The orange & white dress was a thrift store find several cruises ago.

Packing for a cruise can be compared to pulling out family Christmas tree ornaments: Many of them bring back memories of good times pasticon14.gif.

My husband has the same palm tree shirt. He loves his shirt too!

Packing day is finally here! :D I am so excited!

I spent most of yesterday running around - bank, waxing, Target, Walmart, REI (dangerous! - bought new travel underclothing wallets and adorable mini pack towels for excursions and too much more), $ Store, Sprouts (crystallized ginger - no idea if I get seasick or not :( ).

I had my fashionista-est friend come over one night and help me make some final decisions on what to pack. This was either great or crazy, as she kept encouraging me to take it all! I will not be as organized as Indiana during packing as SO and I are crosspacking for the first time. He travels a lot for business and has that routine down pat, but extra days and shoes (not to mention travel hats) are throwing him off, as well as the crosspacking concept. We think right now we will each have a carry on bag (mine is not wheeled :() as well as 2 shared checked bags. My plan is to have what I would NEED (for the whole cruise) in my carry on in case our luggage is lost. Our clothing for Miami and Embarking and swimming and dinner will be in his carry on.

The problem of the cap strap is finally solved. I found one at REI! It is, however so ugly that I am improvising instead. I bought eyeglass straps at the $ store and am using either a tiny binder clip or safety pin on either end. One will attach to my clothing (behind neck) and the other to the brim of my hat. I will report back on how it functions.

So today I will be doing: my pedicure; power of attorney; instructions for care and emergencies - home, children and pets; shooing my son back to school - hopefully not driving him, but delegating that to another son; squaring away the Thanksgiving leftovers and quick cleaning the refrigerators; deciding between Nook, or books; spray tan appointment (probably never again); figuring out the camera on my new phone (may leave that for the airport) and then FINALLY - PACKING!! :D

I have purchased so many doodads based on advice from the Cruise Critic message boards- towel clips, drawer organizers, underwater disposable cameras, bugstick with DEET, ginger, seabands, dramamine, anti-chafing gel (must find!), collapsible water bottles, tons of ziploc bags, waterproof boxes, antibacterial gel - that it's hard to believe it will all fit. Since it is my first cruise, I'm erring on the side of overpacking instead of my lighter packing. The spreadsheet is crazy!

If I get a chance I will take some pictures of my clothing selections. If not, I will share from the cruise.

Ciao!

I've been taking pictures a lot lately, of both me wearing outfits (especially dinner outfits, since I wear dresses every night) and casual clothing on hangers. I find it helps me immensely. I can figure out what I want to wear with what, and pare down the items I don't really need to take along. With my dinner outfits, I have them completely figured out - shoes, jewelry, etc. With the daytime outfits that are shorts and so forth, I leave myself room to change things around. I love to be organized and well planned, but I like to know that I can change my mind if I want.

I am an earth, so the process is so much easier than before I learned all this. I know that my outfits can be changed around, and things will match. What a difference this makes!

MorganiCat: There is NO SUCH THING as overpacking in the world of CCFs:). Take it all and if you don't need everything, no harm done!

Crosspacking is a good idea, too. It makes sense to divide the clothes in case a suitcase is lost or late arriving.

laurspag: Taking photos of Cruise Outfits has been a big help to me. Any picture is good, but best is when you pose in the outfit. I've said, "Those pants aren't flattering AT ALL:eek:," or "Hey, that outfit is a keeper!" DH is often kind enough to take the photo or I set my camera on a tripod and use a timer.

Edited by indiana71

While walking around WalMart yesterday, I happened to stroll through the accessories dept...I love cuff watches and have silver, white and pink. They were inexpensive and fun to wear...so in front of me at WalMart was a display of cuff watches...$5.00 each:). Even if they only last one cruise, my new acquisitions will be worn a couple times - red, brown and orange:cool:! No photo because the camera is charged and card is cleared. You will see them on photos post-cruise.

QUESTION: Back in "the old days" I had one Good watch - dainty gold with a stretchy band that was my mother's and a dainty silver one from DH. I didn't consider a watch to be a fashion accessory.

Fast Forward to 2012: 10 watches are in the jewelry box.

Do you own multiple watches?

CCF---just wanted to wish you a wonderful trip! We will all be thinking of you and wondering how all of your fashion worked for your trip. If you get a chance, remind us of your ports :)

And I don't own any watches. Use my phone for a clock and am not enough of an accessorizer to both putting a watch on and off each day. Much more low maintenance for me. I just wear my two favorite bracelets each day: Cape Cod and St. Croix hook. Shows my two favorite places to be in the whole world!

Yes, I have multiple watches, 3 "good" ones which are all Gucci - one is the traditional G face, the other has diamonds around a long black face and the last one is a tear drop shaped face on the bangle design. The all have lovely backgrounds under the hands too.

I have 2 normal/everyday DKNY ones and about 12 fashion watches from Betsey Johnson and such like.

Currently I have a cheapy on that I bought in that watch shop on the main street near Senor Frogs in Nassau, as I am at the gym/physio 6 times a week so the big chunky works well. It is baby pink with a rose gold bezel with "diamonds" and I am surprised the amount of people that comment, I don't tell them it cost me $15..lol

For years, hubby wanted to buy me a Rolex but although I have expensive jewellery I didn't want to risk losing it, he said that is what insurance is for so I picked my absolute favourite which was 40,000 Euros ($52,000).............. needless to say I didn't get it.:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Sunday we'll drive 4 hours to Tannersville, PA (in the Poconos) and since temps are predicted to be in the 50s, no winter coat:). Jeans & a sweater. We put all the worn clothes in a bag and toss it in the car.

Monday: Cruise out of Bayonne, weather again to be in the 50s. I'm wearing cream-colored cords and a pink cashmere sweater (with fun pastel jewelry).

Tuesday & Weds: Cruising Will gradually be wearing lighter weight clothes - Capris to shorts:cool:

Thursday: Labadee! Yay!!! Swimsuit and coverup. Returning to the ship after lunch and will wear shorts.

Friday: San Juan Shorts, shoes for walking

Saturday: St. Thomas We're taking a short boat ride/excursion to St. John (never been there) and will wear shorts

Sunday: St. Maarten Spending the afternoon in Marigot - shorts again

Monday, Tuesday, Weds: Cruising Will start out in shorts and be in Capris, long sleeves by Weds

Thursday: Off the ship by 10 AM and hoping weatherman is still cooperative! Will have winter coat in the car...

Tomorrow is house cleaning day. Friday is Pampering Day: wax, mani/pedi

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: You could buy MANY nice watches for the cost of that Rolex!/COLOR]

Edited by indiana71

There's no question that a professional pedicure is the way to go...but my fingernails are not pretty - they're short and prone to splitting. I do my own manicures, starting with a base coat, 2 coats of polish and a top coat. In a couple of days, nails are splitting and polish is chipping.

So what to do for a 10-Night Cruise? No question that the nail artists do a MUCH better job than me...so here's my solution: I'm taking my Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure polish in So Much Fawn (a happy not-really-pale pink). That way if it chips, I can touch up myself:).

QUESTION: Anyone else ever take your nail polish to the salon?

Yes some people do bring their own polish to my spa but I am not keen on the techs using them if they are not professional polishes as they are not the same quality sometimes and don't give the same finish and longevity. If it is a real cheapy or really thin we explain this nicely to the client and then it is their choice but we won't be putting it right if it is chipped more or less straight away as we only use high end polish.

This is more manicure than pedicure I am talking about here as obviously the finger nails see more "action". Polishes like Venique, OPI, Essie, Jessica, CND, Spa Ritual, Orly, China Glaze are just some of the better, more well known polishes. You also have the likes of Chanel and higher end products which tend to be of quality too.

I do understand why some folks might want to bring their own, as they can touch up a day or two later when it's chipped. All I would say is when you buy your own polishes invest in decent brands it's worth the extra few dollars.

Re splits, weak nails, a great product for strengthening nails is OPI nail envy or similar prodcut by NFU Oh. Shellac is also good for those sort of nails once you have had a couple of manicures to condition the nail beforehand.

OP

CELTICGIRLCRUISER; I took my own polish but chose an OPI from the salon (following your suggestion).

Brows & lip waxing went well (what is Mother Nature thinking?? Giving us middle-age females a sort-of moustache:eek:??!!).

Pedi looks good (felt good, too). Mani is good...hope I can keep it looking nice...no heavy cleaning before cruising:cool:!

CELTICGIRLCRUISER; I took my own polish but chose an OPI from the salon (following your suggestion).

Brows & lip waxing went well (what is Mother Nature thinking?? Giving us middle-age females a sort-of moustache:eek:??!!).

Pedi looks good (felt good, too). Mani is good...hope I can keep it looking nice...no heavy cleaning before cruising:cool:!

Good, glad it went well and you are pleased with results and now you are all pampered ready for your trip.:cool:

lovestx: Thanks for asking! We're cruising on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne, NJ; Monday, December 3 to Thursday, December 13.:cool:

I love 10-night cruises, IMHO, the ideal length. It's nice to have good neighbors (one of whom is a police officer) who takes care of our house while we're away:).

Luggage Weigh-In: Since we aren't flying, suitcase weight is a non-issue...but we have a nifty luggage scale so we weigh them for our own amusement. NEVER had we had one over 50 pounds...until now:eek:. DH's is 43.9 - perfectly acceptable. Mine, however, is 51.3! My only excuse is: This IS a 10-night cruise after all...and, oh yeah, I'm a CCF (the CCF thing doesn't buy much sympathy but it's all I've got;)).

I use the OPI nail envy as well - it works wonders! I have also had the OPI gel color applied - and it lasted 2 weeks with no chipping or fading - it's nice for a cruise!! I think my nail tech called it "axxium"? It was in a small round container, then after she applied the color and like a topcoat or something, she put my nails under a light to "cure" it - You do have to soak it off in acetone though - but it didn't cause any damage for me? It costs a little more than the manicure, but I thought it was worth the price. I did this on my fingernails, and just a regular pedicure for my toes! This reminds me, I need to make my pre cruise appointment!!

I use the OPI nail envy as well - it works wonders! I have also had the OPI gel color applied - and it lasted 2 weeks with no chipping or fading - it's nice for a cruise!! I think my nail tech called it "axxium"? It was in a small round container, then after she applied the color and like a topcoat or something, she put my nails under a light to "cure" it - You do have to soak it off in acetone though - but it didn't cause any damage for me? It costs a little more than the manicure, but I thought it was worth the price. I did this on my fingernails, and just a regular pedicure for my toes! This reminds me, I need to make my pre cruise appointment!!

Yes it is Axxium. The down side is what you say it had to be soaked for for a while in Acetone. You were probably able to match the toenail color with an OPI matching regular polish colour, which is good.

For me personally, Shellac is much kinder as the removal process is better taking just 6 minutes to get it off against sometimes 25 minutes or so for the gel polishes like Axxium. There is also no buffing/filing of the nail required with shellac removal.

I can get 3 weeks out of my own Shellac, the clients anything from 14 days to 28 depending on the colour they choose as the darker colours show more regrowth.

The pale colours and French are the best for longer lasting past the recommend 14 day no chip manicure.

All these gel polishes like Axxium, Gelac, Gelish and the 400 other versions from China came out as Shellac was dominating the market and had been for a while before the others realised, but the difference in removal process (because it is not gel) put Shellac ahead. Saying that though, if someone is used to gel polish and wants it, that is what we do:), got to keep the clients happy.

Re the cost, some places charge for removal then new manicure as the tech is tied up waiting on the removal process and it is 25 minutes where she can't always do another client as it isn't long enough really. As a guide depending on where you are of course,) a Shellac or any of the gel manicures should be double what a regular manicure costs if they are using the correct products and not mixing systems. Anyone cutting corners will be able to do it cheaper of course but it does not guarantee it will last.

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: Thank you for the truly valuable professional information you give us:). All these new mani/pedi procedures are much easier to understand now. The pros and cons of each make a decision less of a dilemma.

We're about 48 hours away from arriving at the port. It's a relief to know that what I'm wearing each day has been carefully thought out, listed on a spreadsheet and carefully packed...and there are a couple grab bag extra outfits just in case this CCF changes her mind;)!

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: Thank you for the truly valuable professional information you give us:). All these new mani/pedi procedures are much easier to understand now. The pros and cons of each make a decision less of a dilemma.

We're about 48 hours away from arriving at the port. It's a relief to know that what I'm wearing each day has been carefully thought out, listed on a spreadsheet and carefully packed...and there are a couple grab bag extra outfits just in case this CCF changes her mind;)!

You are very welcome, it's a pleasure.

I sometimes think oh I hope I am not coming across as a Shellac or beauty/massage treatment bore or know it all, but if it helps just one or two folks that makes me happy.

I worked in management in IT Security and Cryptography for over 20 years but my current field and business makes me far happier so I get a bit carried away by the passion of it all sometimes, but I am always happy to help anyone who has questions, worries or concerns about anything I know about beauty related issues, so I am your girl!