Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

LifeIsButADream - we are on the same cruise. I have an overwhelming desire to pack already. :D Of course, everything would be a wrinkled mess if I did that.

I have some dresses that are hanging in the closet with a wrinkle or two. I plan to freshen those up and hang them back up. I like to pack them by using drycleaner bags, and just doing a soft accordion fold with them. I put them in last so that there isn't a lot of weight on them.

My concern right now is my my shorts. My husband's shorts are cargo shorts and they wash and wear well. Even his button down shirts fold and travel well. My shorts are looking rather wrinkled, so I am going to iron them before I pack them. I am hoping they will still look good when we get on Freedom and unpack.

I hate wrinkles! Does anyone have any tips to offer and really getting the wrinkles out good when ironing, and keeping them looking good through the packing process?

JediMom, I will bet you and your family will have a great time. Don't worry if you all don't coordinate. I just try not to clash too much, if you know what I mean.

I hate wrinkles! Does anyone have any tips to offer and really getting the wrinkles out good when ironing, and keeping them looking good through the packing process?

Laurie -

what I do when some of my capris and other items are so wrinkly that I can't get them out when I iron them is I take them to the dry cleaner to "press only" - it cost anywhere from $1.50 to $2 for each piece where I go, but I find that if I do that, I can wash them and hang them up to dry, tumble them to get out the stiffness, and a quick iron makes them look great! It lasts for several washings, and to me, is worth the little added expense!

-Cindy

232323232%7Ffp54346%3Evq%3D3275%3E8%3A4%3E697%3EWSNRCG%3D38856%3B%3C%3B3432%3Cvq0mrj

This is my first attempt to post a picture, so please let me know if this works or not! This is a bathing suit cover-up that I bought at Goodwill today for $5 bucks!! So excited....the sun is both silver/gold mixed and I just bought some sparkly silver flip flops to wear to the pool/beach...yay! :)

Woo Hoo! Congrats on the deal at Goodwill! Thats really cute! It will look great with the sparkly flip flops too!

DH is doing a lot of :rolleyes:, but he's paying attention as he's planning on coordinating quite a few outfits as well. Goes to show the influence this fashionista has in this house of boys ;)

I've got a husband that is like yours - he rolls his eyes and thinks I'm being crazy when I'm packing - but then on picture night, when we coordinate and don't look like we just met on the boat, he is thankful!!

How old is your son? Mine is 20 now, and is the best dressed, best clearance shopper in the house!! lol

Laurie....I knew we were on the same cruise...as I have seen your postings on the Meet and Mingle page....it is getting close now!! Can't wait....we have had an unusually cold, wet winter here in Texas....ready for some sunshine, warm temperatures and some turquoise water!! Not to mention being TOTALLY WAITED ON!! Haha!!

232323232%7Ffp54346%3Evq%3D3275%3E8%3A4%3E697%3EWSNRCG%3D38856%3B%3C%3B3432%3Cvq0mrj

This is my first attempt to post a picture, so please let me know if this works or not! This is a bathing suit cover-up that I bought at Goodwill today for $5 bucks!! So excited....the sun is both silver/gold mixed and I just bought some sparkly silver flip flops to wear to the pool/beach...yay! :)

So cute!!! Now that you've put the idea in my head, I will be on a mission to find sparkly flip flops

LifeIsButADream: The swimsuit coverup is such a versatile top! Sparkly flipflops will add a nice touch of sass.

...could the coverup work as a top for leggings - with a cami underneath and a sparkly belt???

RE Snapfish: Open your "album". You will see all the photos and they're small. Click on the one you want to post. That should make the snapfish picture larger. Then right click on the large one to Copy. (I've clicked to Copy the smaller photo and that's when the pasted photo is small.) Hope that helps...

laurspag: My alterations lady (aka Miracle Worker) gave me a tip RE ironing: After a garment is ironed, don't fold it right away. If it's folded while still warm, the crease(s) will stay.

So now for pre-packing ironing, I hang DHs shirts, my Capris, etc. until all ironing is complete before folding.

AND I place a sheet of tissue paper at the fold to help keep creases/wrinkles to a minimum.

Your suggestion of taking items to the dry cleaners is spot on (pun intended;)). That's why I take most of my clothes there after a cruise. Besides, ironing is not my favorite household chore and the professionals do such a good job!

MY DH makes faces and teases me about the Packing Ritual...but, like yours, he's pleased to see how it all works out once onboard:cool:.

cruzinhuskers: Sparkly shoes make us feel happy! We CCFs LOVE our footwear:):cool:!

Speaking of DHs and their clothing choices: Mine has laid out neutral colored shorts, neutral colored golf shirts...but his Hawaiian-style shirts that he wears to dinner are very colorful and mostly fun prints...and he likes wearing them!

Since we will be cruising on Valentine's Day, he's getting a gift next week (I always have a pre-cruise dinner where we go over the itinerary and give him a couple gifts). A red shirt that he can wear for the formal night closest to V Day. He has a couple ties that will coordinate and also a red pocket square.

I think guys look so classy when they have a pocket square. They're so hard to find (at least in my part of the country).

Anyway, he will be pleased with his new shirts.

The other formal night he will wear a purple shirt with a great tie and pocket square.

Now if he would only start to select more colorful daytime outfits...

JediMom: Yay! The big photos show lots of detail - nice:).

Your wedge flip-flops were a good find. They will go with lots of outfits.

LifeIsButADream: And your coverup sun shows so-o-o much better! I love it - a true Caribbean style:cool:!

DH was getting a tiny bit irritated with me last night...I wanted to see Michelle Obama's gown and he could not have cared less...but she made a grand entrance and looked stunning in red!

I would love that for myself as a cocktail dress - maybe Jason Wu will take me on as a pro bono client....:rolleyes:

I love to see that a lot of people do at least some of their shopping at the goodwill or similar stores! I do as well. This was a goodwill find from my last cruise- 20923057_475.jpg?1336333946

I didn't even have to have any alterations done! This time, I haven't done quite as well. Both my formal gowns are from second hand shops but they both need to be altered. One simply needs a hem but the other needs not just a hem but also to be brought in a little bit in the hips and a few minor repairs on a seam here or there. All in all, though, I got them super cheap so putting a few dollars worth of alterations into them is not a huge deal. I'm more concerned about finding a pair of shoes to go with the champagne and chocolate colored gown!

I love to see that a lot of people do at least some of their shopping at the goodwill or similar stores! I do as well. This was a goodwill find from my last cruise- 20923057_475.jpg?1336333946

I didn't even have to have any alterations done! This time, I haven't done quite as well. Both my formal gowns are from second hand shops but they both need to be altered. One simply needs a hem but the other needs not just a hem but also to be brought in a little bit in the hips and a few minor repairs on a seam here or there. All in all, though, I got them super cheap so putting a few dollars worth of alterations into them is not a huge deal. I'm more concerned about finding a pair of shoes to go with the champagne and chocolate colored gown!

Beautiful gown! Ya'll both look great! How bout either "nude" color shoes, or that metallic pewter color? I think either of those would look nice with your champagne & chocolate gown?

So - ya'll inspired me to go check out my Goodwill store today. I didn't find anything for me today, but I did find my husband a pair of Nike golf shorts, still had the $55 tag on them - and I paid $2.10, including tax! woo hoo!!

May I just say first of all that is probably my FAVORITE forum on Cruise Critics..:D Everyone on here is just so super sweet and supportive of each other!! Love it!! Everyone seems to be finding some good deals at Goodwill...I usually check out two or three stores in my area. I am thinking that January is a GREAT time to shop there because they seem to have an abundance of merchandise....maybe people are cleaning out closets after Christmas?? We leave two weeks from Friday to begin driving to Florida for our cruise....woo hoo!! :) Know some of you are suffering from extreme cold and snow/ice right now, but here in Texas it is sunny and a warm 72 degrees! We are blessed! Happy shopping, everyone!

So - ya'll inspired me to go check out my Goodwill store today. I didn't find anything for me today, but I did find my husband a pair of Nike golf shorts, still had the $55 tag on them - and I paid $2.10, including tax! woo hoo!!

Those are the kind of deals that keep me coming back for more! Great shopping trip report!

I have to say that what reminded me to go to a local thrift store was heading to Ross last weekend and finding a nearly-empty store. I was amazed that they were closing that store down. (But there is a TJMaxx/Home Store next to it that I think was stiff competition.) So, trying to think where else to go with a lot of variety in clothes I remembered the thrift store. So glad I did!

I have a nail question for Celticgirlcruiser, you are very knowledgable about nails.

I have wore acrylic nails for about 14 years and I always said that if I ever got a nail fungus that that would be the end of acrylics. To make a long story short my nail tech moved so I went to a new one 3 times and I got a fungus, so I removed the acrylics.

My question now is what can I use on my nails to get rid of the fungus and to get these nasty looking and paper thin nails back into shape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great CCF day.

Gerry

Checking back in to share a couple pictures!

This is the shirt I bought to wear when we board, except mine is white with blue stripes with a red anchor:

cn5773213.jpg

This is my daughter and her outfit. I blurred it since these posts are public. :D

TM_414blur_zps0ed63206.jpg

Unfortunately she no longer allows bows or headbands, so she'll have ponytails to girl-her-up a little bit more. I promise, she's adorable!

Edited by arom729