Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I love seeing pictures posted. I try to post quite a few myself on different threads.

I took a bunch of pictures not too long ago of potential outfits. When I'm ready to pack for my February cruise, I already have a lot of outfits on the "yes" list. Right now, I'm choosing accessories for them. I'm going to do my best to pack extra without going overboard. I am a firm believer in packing more than what is needed, because we took a very warm cruise once in August, and I actually ran out of clean clothes for the last day and re-wore some things I would have rather washed first. I don't need a pile of outfits for day though.

One thing I often do is bring capris or light weight pants for after dinner, as I often get a bit cool whether inside or outside. I find that these don't get sweaty, and can be re-worn, especially because they aren't worn a long time. I can change out the shirts, and rotate them a bit so that it doesn't appear I'm wearing the same thing all the time.

I wear dresses for dinner, so I will bring one dress for each night. For daytime casual, I plan to bring an outfit for each day of the cruise, plus 2 extra tops and 2 extra shorts. I will then pack two pairs of capris or lightweight pants, with about 4 shirts to wear with them.

I have a jewelry hanger, with all those little zipper compartments. It rolls up nice and tight. For my dinner dresses, my gold sandals are going to be worn with many of the outfits. My other attire is color coordinated to make it easier to only bring a few pairs of sandals.

Do you have other suggestions, CC friends? I don't believe in packing too light simply for flying reasons, yet I want to avoid extra charges. We use Jet Blue, so we have each have a carry on that meets the size requirements, plus a larger suitcase to bring for each of us. Your first bag flies free.

Also, we have to lug those up and down the ship for embarkment and so forth, so we want to be reasonable.

Laurie...lol....I also hate wearing the same thing twice and won't. Getting ready for 15 day cruise to Hawaii (with post days and prior days of cruise) in California. We will be gone nearly 1 month. We also travel Jet Blue all of the time and the first free piece of luggage cannot exceed 50lbs. OMG.....

Basically stay in shorts or bathing suit during the day, but I need all 15 dresses somehow squeezed in my suitcase..lol..panicking. I do not wear gowns...I wear cocktail dresses. (which would be less weight and room). I have a feeling I am going to need a second piece of luggage checked and just pay the fee. My carry-on always has all of my shoes, make-up, hairdryer..etc....

Bringing a roll of quarters for lingerie however. Thirty sets of this would take up unnecessary room. Same for bathing suits. I think I will just bring 7 instead of a different one for each day. Problems, problems, problems...:o:o:o

It's funny how we think, isn't it? I will re-wear shorts if they are clean and neat. It's just that on a cruise, they often aren't by the end of the day! Shirts almost never are, and you never know when you might get something on your clothes.

I don't bring extra dresses though, and I only bring two swimsuits. I'm not a huge pool person, but I love the hot tubs. On explorere, we used the one in the spa because it was quiet and adults only. The ones near the pools are usually filled with a lot of kids. We hope to utilize Cococay beach a bit this year. I hear though that February is iffy, the seas get rough and the tenders can't always get over there in choppy waters.

I will do my best to pack enough, with a little extra...but not enough clothing for a second cruise!

I like your thinking gymbomb! The more photos, the better my chances of a good one;)!

When a photographer is in the dining room, it never fails that he/she wants a picture just as our hot entree is placed! DH & I usually clink wine glasses and try to say "Cheese" (why cheese??) as quickly as possible.

The posed photos for formal night are usually the best. This time we might do a couple casual poses...and maybe even agree to stand with a pirate or "dolphin" when we step off the gangplank at a port:cool:.

Hi Nancy, Our best pics have been casual pics on the white background. Last 2 cruises we got down on the floor and acted silly, but we got so many good pics! Love them!!!

I have been neglecting my fellow CCFs:eek:! We were away for New Year's Eve and this weekend DS (the one who lives nearest) and his family are coming. He and I have January birthdays and since I love to cook, it's an excuse to have a fancy dinner.

BUT - next week, it's back to Cruise-mindedness:cool:.

laurspag: Changing to Capris or other casual clothes after dinner is getting more popular, it seems to me; especially on Formal Nights. At one time we stayed in our finery until the wee hours of the morning...but times have changed!

I've been packing long lightweight pants and a long sleeve top for evenings, so style isn't jeopardized AND it keeps me warm and comfortable.

plank: I love the idea of acting silly for a Family Photo. We will probably have a couple different poses - one, I'm sure, will be silly:rolleyes:!

Here's a photo of a Casual Day outfit. The Capris are from the local Goodwill store, the top is Banana Republic, sandals are Naots, and that's my favorite cruise shoulder bag, from Anne Klein.

232323232%7Ffp%3B89%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C47777335nu0mrj

I've never done black and white until this cruise. The shorts and top are both Ralph Lauren. There's that shoulder bag again...

232323232%7Ffp%3B73%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C48457335nu0mrj

I have been neglecting my fellow CCFs:eek:! We were away for New Year's Eve and this weekend DS (the one who lives nearest) and his family are coming. He and I have January birthdays and since I love to cook, it's an excuse to have a fancy dinner.

laurspag: Changing to Capris or other casual clothes after dinner is getting more popular, it seems to me; especially on Formal Nights. At one time we stayed in our finery until the wee hours of the morning...but times have changed!

I've been packing long lightweight pants and a long sleeve top for evenings, so style isn't jeopardized AND it keeps me warm and comfortable.

plank: I love the idea of acting silly for a Family Photo. We will probably have a couple different poses - one, I'm sure, will be silly:rolleyes:!

Here's a photo of a Casual Day outfit. The Capris are from the local Goodwill store, the top is Banana Republic, sandals are Naots, and that's my favorite cruise shoulder bag, from Anne Klein.

232323232%7Ffp%3B89%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C47777335nu0mrj

I've never done black and white until this cruise. The shorts and top are both Ralph Lauren. There's that shoulder bag again...

232323232%7Ffp%3B73%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C48457335nu0mrj

I really like the black and white..the black shorts makes the outfit look almost f

Dressy casual!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE you in the black & white outfit!!

What cruise line & ship were you on? It looks really pretty! Love the pic of you in the meet & greet outfit too!

wrcjr98: We cruised on Explorer of the Seas (that was our 4th time and we're booked for February 2014...and will probably sign up for this December - same itinerary as December 2012).

The boat in the black and white photo is in St Maarten. We took a Sea and See excursion and it was delightful:cool:. First part was on a bus through the island that took us to this boat (a double-decker with all the FREE rum punch you care to drink...at 9:30 AM:eek: plus a very entertaining singer/tour guide.)

Last part of the excursion was back on the same bus. We stopped for an hour in Marigot. It was a Sunday so shops were closed. Other days, this part of the tour would be longer.

boopsahoy: The black shorts really are kind of dressy. The fabric is smooth and shiny. I plan to take that outfit on The Next Cruise.

Photo Alert in the Next Couple Weeks: There are several outfits in the Cruise Closet that I consider questionable: Age appropriate? Too blah? Not flattering? Etc....

I'm going to put on those outfits and then post photos for all of you to critique. This is the best place to get truthful and constructive comments...hope to start next week...

Edited by indiana71

wrcjr98: We cruised on Explorer of the Seas (that was our 4th time and we're booked for February 2014...and will probably sign up for this December - same itinerary as December 2012).

I've never sailed Royal Carribean - only Carnival & Norwegian - it looks really nice! I want to try them next!! Keep the outfit photos coming!!

I love both of your outfits. But I really like the black and white. It looks so nice.

The boat in the black and white photo is in St Maarten. We took a Sea and See excursion and it was delightful:cool:. First part was on a bus through the island that took us to this boat (a double-decker with all the FREE rum punch you care to drink...at 9:30 AM:eek: plus a very entertaining singer/tour guide.)

Last part of the excursion was back on the same bus. We stopped for an hour in Marigot. It was a Sunday so shops were closed. Other days, this part of the tour would be longer.

boopsahoy: The black shorts really are kind of dressy. The fabric is smooth and shiny. I plan to take that outfit on The Next Cruise.

Photo Alert in the Next Couple Weeks: There are several outfits in the Cruise Closet that I consider questionable: Age appropriate? Too blah? Not flattering? Etc....

I'm going to put on those outfits and then post photos for all of you to critique. This is the best place to get truthful and constructive comments...hope to start next week...

Looking forward to it...may attempt to do the same...always say I will but just don't:)

Saturday night at dinner, the question was asked, "How do you pack and not have wrinkled clothing?" That made me realize that there is an art to packing and many of us have a method that works. These are 4 steps I follow:

1. Fold items as little as possible

2. Smooth each item out before placing another on top

3. Use tissue paper/dry cleaner plastic between layers

4. Pack so the suitcase is completely full, enough so that it needs a little squishing to close. That keeps everything from shifting and becoming wrinkled.

My luggage isn't out yet. It will be next week before the Packing Process begins. Photos will be posted to show how I do it.

Meanwhile, you're invited to add your tips/suggestions. We don't want to send out clothes to be pressed:eek:, especially after taking the time to put the best possible outfits together:cool:!

Edited by indiana71

TNGALOHA: You look so elegant in your formalwear! Not promlike or mother-of-the-bride; but totally appropriate for an evening in an elegant setting. Thanks for sharing:).

fyree39: WOW!! The YouTube Packing video is THE BEST!! EVERYONE WHO PACKS A SUITCASE SHOULD WATCH!!

I will watch Part 1 & 2 several times - just because the organization is so inspiring:). (and who doesn't like the English accent). It takes a little time but well worth your full attention.

Thank You for posting the link:cool::)!

Tissue paper is used in all my luggage...but the leftover sheets from gift boxes...all wrinkled, some even with tape attached...but I can still flatten and use it...and most of it gets thrown away onboard.

Here's a quote from a book I'm currently reading: "Preparation is like ice in a glass of summer tea, far more obvious when there isn't enough than when there is too much." Very relavent to what CCFs believe!

Edited by indiana71

I've put outfits together and have my detailed listing: 17 outfits....and ONLY 6 (yes, SIX) pairs of shoes:eek:!!!:eek:

None of the clothes have been tried on for the FINAL CUT yet. I always believe the choices are really good...and then TryOns happen and at least a couple changes are made. But - the number of shoes will NOT go up...(this is practice for the June Oasis Family Cruise when flying is in the mix.)

Same with jewelry - not nearly as much as the December 10-Night cruise. BTW - we signed up for the same December cruise this year:cool:. There are so-o-o many more choices to make for longer cruises...

I've put outfits together and have my detailed listing: 17 outfits....and ONLY 6 (yes, SIX) pairs of shoes:eek:!!!:eek:

None of the clothes have been tried on for the FINAL CUT yet. I always believe the choices are really good...and then TryOns happen and at least a couple changes are made. But - the number of shoes will NOT go up...(this is practice for the June Oasis Family Cruise when flying is in the mix.)

Same with jewelry - not nearly as much as the December 10-Night cruise. BTW - we signed up for the same December cruise this year:cool:. There are so-o-o many more choices to make for longer cruises...

CCF--When is this next cruise? You don't have a counter for it....

That sounds about right to me. Day outfit/evening outfit-plus bathing suits. You are going to have an amazing time on the Oasis. Nothing like it (well, the Allure/sister ship is the exception). :o

These were 3 of the dresses I wore on or last cruise.

The picture of the young boy with me is my 15 year old grandson, the other is my husband and I and then the one with the 2 guys with was my grandson and his dad.

You look great - not like you have a 15 year old grandson at all! The dresses look elegant and young, without looking "too young."

Thanks for sharing :)

Planning outfits is my FAVORITE thing to do!

Now I'm taking my kids for the first time, I have 5 people to dress (ok, my 19 yo DD most likely will pick for herself, but I'm sure I get to help!)

I was at Coldwater Creek, and they have several cute cruising clothes. Some more obvious ones - nautical themed, and other just cute, bright, sparkly shirts. Much younger looking than I remember them being.

I bought this - and love it:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/63623/70474/paint-stripe-top.aspx?colorid=051&refLink=knit-tops-and-tees.aspx

(Striped - I got the blue/green one)

And this:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/63626/70447/ship-in-the-night-tee.aspx?colorid=H62&refLink=apparel/knit-tops-and-tees/long-sleeve-tees.aspx

(Navy blue with a sequined sail boat.)

Mind if I join this forum? I am excited about my outfit planning!

This is what I wore on Day 2 - to the Meet & Mingle. The loose-weave pullover and cami were purchased in Rehoboth at a shop that had lots of cruise-worthy attire! Temps were in the high 60s.

232323232%7Ffp%3B99%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C458%3A6335nu0mrj

[/img]

I really like this - the color is great and perfect for cruising. I like the light weave pullovers that you can wear a color underneath!

I love your posts - great job!

I can't find a good example of the dress I tried on today - and I should have taken a photo. Looks like I will be heading back to Ross.

The closest I could find is this - and it's NOT like this. Shape. Yes. "Baroque print." Yes. Colors and patterns. No. The stripes and pattern are more symmetrical, stripes are vertical. I think it's what you'd call a Versace print? Something I've seen before, but not really sure what to call it.

0305_60730_mm.jpg

My question - is this tacky? (And the one in that photo is a little, I think. Mine was in black, brown, turquoise etc. It has the stripes, baroque style leaves, greek key border, chains etc.) I'm wondering if this "knockoff" print is fashionable or not. Also the print it's based on is known to be a little flashy. Like this:

D1816_184.jpg

I guess it's a moot point if I don't show you what the one I tried on looks like - but I was just wanting to know if it's a "fashion don't."

You look great - not like you have a 15 year old grandson at all! The dresses look elegant and young, without looking "too young."

Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you so much for the compliment.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to add things anytime. We are a friendly bunch here.

Gerry

I can't find a good example of the dress I tried on today - and I should have taken a photo. Looks like I will be heading back to Ross.

The closest I could find is this - and it's NOT like this. Shape. Yes. "Baroque print." Yes. Colors and patterns. No. The stripes and pattern are more symmetrical, stripes are vertical. I think it's what you'd call a Versace print? Something I've seen before, but not really sure what to call it.

0305_60730_mm.jpg

My question - is this tacky? (And the one in that photo is a little, I think. Mine was in black, brown, turquoise etc. It has the stripes, baroque style leaves, greek key border, chains etc.) I'm wondering if this "knockoff" print is fashionable or not. Also the print it's based on is known to be a little flashy. Like this:

D1816_184.jpg

I guess it's a moot point if I don't show you what the one I tried on looks like - but I was just wanting to know if it's a "fashion don't."

I like the print in the more colorful dress better than the print in the long dress - but I do like the style of the longer dress! Hurry Back to Ross! If yours is anything like the one where I live - you have to buy it when you see it, or it'll be gone! Go get it! You can always take it back if you change your mind!!

lovestx: I never got around to adding a counter for our February 10 cruise...only 30 days to go:cool:!

murfturf: Welcome, welcome - please join in with comments, suggestions, etc. whenever the Caribbean Cruising Fashionista part of you wants to post:).

IMHO, the prints are not tacky at all. The quality of the fabric and the way a dress fits is most important.

I'm so-o-o envious of CCFs who have a Ross available. I've only heard about it, never had the opportunity to shop there.

We would love to see photos of the dress you choose!

Edited by indiana71