Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Celticgirlcruiser, I have a question to ask you since you are so knowledgable about nails and the polish. I have acrylics on my nails because theya re so soft and nasty(I'm a nailbiter real bad). About 3 weeks ago I jammed my little finger nail into a concrete wall, our house is solid concrete, pushing a crate back into its place. Well to make a long story short I broke the real nail off at the cuticle and ripped both the acrylic and real nail off my finger. It has started to grow back but I am getting ready to go on a cruise in 20 days and I want all my nails to look the same if posible. The other 9 are getting a new set of nails on them (french Tip), is there a way I can do the pinky so that it will match the rest of my nails? Can an acrylic go on it or what else can I do? Thanks for your help. I have wore acrylics since 1999 so you would think I would know what to do but this is the very first time that I have done this much damage to a nail, and hopefull it will be the very last time. It hurt like crazy to put it mildly.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I will be getting thenew set on the 13th of this month if tht helps.

Gerry

Gerry, the nail tech should be able to build you a "new" pinky nail with what little real nail you have by the time you get them redone. Leave it til as near as possible if you can. If experienced this wont throw the tech at all and it is more common than you would think.

We have a client who has had a toenail removed surgically and it didn't grow back more than a couple of mm, so when she goes away, mainly cruising, we "build" her the large toe nail with gel (we use Brisa which is the CND but any decent brand will work) and just Shellac it as normal. Acrylic will work too we just don't use that at the spa which is why we use Gel. Our client raved and raved about it and you couldn't tell it was "fake"

I wouldn't recommend keeping any form of acrylic/gel substitute nail on for a long time if it is touching a lot of the exposed on the nail area skin but for your vacation it should be fine.

Good luck!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Never would I have dared to hope for 60 degrees on December 2!! And yet, that's what the thermometer is telling me:cool:! The warm weather should continue through SailAway tomorrow:cool:! I am beyond ecstatic!!

The To Do List is complete except for turning off the computers. We return December 13 but I won't be checking in before Friday the 14th with a review of cruising clothes and possibly a few photos:).

Keep the thread going CCFs!

Edited by indiana71

Yes it is Axxium. The down side is what you say it had to be soaked for for a while in Acetone. You were probably able to match the toenail color with an OPI matching regular polish colour, which is good.

For me personally, Shellac is much kinder as the removal process is better taking just 6 minutes to get it off against sometimes 25 minutes or so for the gel polishes like Axxium. There is also no buffing/filing of the nail required with shellac removal.

I can get 3 weeks out of my own Shellac, the clients anything from 14 days to 28 depending on the colour they choose as the darker colours show more regrowth.

The pale colours and French are the best for longer lasting past the recommend 14 day no chip manicure.

All these gel polishes like Axxium, Gelac, Gelish and the 400 other versions from China came out as Shellac was dominating the market and had been for a while before the others realised, but the difference in removal process (because it is not gel) put Shellac ahead. Saying that though, if someone is used to gel polish and wants it, that is what we do:), got to keep the clients happy.

Re the cost, some places charge for removal then new manicure as the tech is tied up waiting on the removal process and it is 25 minutes where she can't always do another client as it isn't long enough really. As a guide depending on where you are of course,) a Shellac or any of the gel manicures should be double what a regular manicure costs if they are using the correct products and not mixing systems. Anyone cutting corners will be able to do it cheaper of course but it does not guarantee it will last.

Thanks for the info!

If I wanted to use Shellac on my next manicure - is there any kind of "brand name" or anything that I should ask for?

Thanks for the info!

If I wanted to use Shellac on my next manicure - is there any kind of "brand name" or anything that I should ask for?

Shellac is the actual product, the brand is CND, but most places will know what you are wanting.

You can use the CND salon locator and find a location near you that does it properly, as there are so many cowboys out there using all sorts and calling it Shellac. I posted a few links in a couple of previous threads, so if you use the search facility with the word shellac it should come up. It shows you what to look for.

I hear people saying Shellac ruined my nails or it didn't last and when I investigate further they never had Shellac in the first place!

If you get stuck, you could send me your zip and I will have a look for you.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I just got a (new for me) sewing table to put my machine on in our tiny condo in Fl. Back home we have more room. But down here it was hard to sew my cruise outfits, because of a lack of space for my machines. I did not want to sew down stairs where it would make the table look like a mess. I could not find a small sewing table for a while here. But I thought of what would my FCC friends do to find one. Well, I look in a second hand store,, and there it was. A sewing maching in an 1940's table for $10. I ask them to take the machine out so they could keep it and sell it. They did, and I brought the table for the ten dollars. It is a great fit and it does open up if I want to make it larger.. Now I can start sewing, and I will learn how to post a picture here to show all of you my homemade cruise wear.

Welcome back Nancy!! Hope you had a great cruise. We really enjoyed our after Thanksgiving cruise. Not as warm on sail away in Baltimore, but still enjoyed:) Looking forward to February now:-) Just found out today that we have a new granddaughter coming the end of April and we are very excited!!! Our grandson is all about his new baby sister:)

We are blessed!

Welcome back Nancy! I have been thinking of you these past 10 plus days...hope you had a wonderful time. You were probably close to too hot in your pink cashmere sweater on sailaway day!

Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures!

Wow! Mother Nature was certainly looking out for December cruisers:cool:. The pink cashmere was all I needed at SailAway- no jacket. So nice!

footballbabe3: You have probably packed jewelry by now - but here's my 2 cents worth: I use one of those free make-up bags with a zipper top that is offered as a promo at dept store cosmetic counters. All jewelry items for each outfit is placed in a little plastic zip-loc bag. I write the day and occasion on a Post-It (i.e., Formal Night #1, St. Thomas daytime) and place that in the bag w/ jewlery. The zip-locs are arranged in order by day in the make-up bag. So when I get an outfit out, the jewelry is easy to access.

plank: Congratulations on the baby news! I hope we can meet on a cruise again (and share grandchild photos!)

geocruiser: Looking forward to seeing your photos. I admire anyone who can sew and now that you have the table you want, you can make whatever suits your fancy!

MY THOUGHTS ON STYLE OF DRESS FOR THE LAST CRUISE:

The age group was predominately senior citizen. Clothes were casual, and for the most part, very acceptable for tropical cruising. Formal night brought out cocktail dresses, even a few long gowns. Gentlemen wore suits/sports coats more than tuxes. (I still think a guy in a tux is as good as it gets;)).

I am SO over t-shirts with silly sayings, words that could be offensive, etc. One young lady had a t-shirt from Hooters with wording that would be offensive to any female (IMHO).

It's a pleasure to see people of all ages and sizes on the beaches of St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Labadee. Everyone has a good time and was wearing age and size-appropriate swimwear.

Temperatures never dipped below 80 during the day. Shorts, Capris and summery tops were the perfect choice.

The day we were docked at San Juan, arrival time was 2 pm so DH & I decided to eat dinner before returning to the ship. That was the only evening outfit that didn't get worn.

Laundry has been an ongoing chore and a pile of clothes is ready to go to the dry cleaners - then back to the Cruise Closet.

The Cruise Room won't be abuzz until January 7 since it will be The Guest Room early in the month.

Photos will be uploaded and some posted here. This weekend is all about finishing Christmas prep and Monday we're hosting our dinner group. Yikes! December (and the end of 2012) are rapidly approaching:eek:!

Edited by indiana71

Nancy...sounded like a good time. I am with you. I can't get in my spare room until after the holidays , but I am anxious to get started. We had a great time on our cruise, especially loved the diamond nightly fun up in the lounge. A bit different...much more casual than others we have done overall. Don't worry we still stuck to our guns and enjoyed wearing CCF clothes. Looking forward to 11 days in Feb.:) with the wild and crazy older folk!!!

For me, a manicure for a 10-day cruise isn't worth it. Perhaps the shellac would last longer, but by Day 7, new growth was noticeable. If I had nail polish with me, I could have touched up.

The pedicure still looks really nice.

It's okay to have a couple extra outfits (perferably a few neutral pieces that can be matched with planned clothes).

One swimsuit cover-up for the pool and one for the beach is plenty. Don't take 3 or 4.

Anyone else have post-cruise suggestions?

BTW - There was some discussion RE wearing black pantyhose. I wore them for one formal night (photo tomorrow) and not the second. No one else wearing black had them on.

It's been a whirlwind since we returned. Tonight, DH & I are hosting a Cocktail Party...but tomorrow - nothing much on the schedule. I'll post a couple photos.

Love the Notes to Self....always a good idea :)

When I did an 11 day cruise in June, I had a mani/pedi. Brought nail polish remover pads and nail polish and did my own again later in the cruise.

Not surprised about the black pantyhose. Think you'd see it here in Boston but not in the Caribbean.

And kudos for you for even THINKING of having a cocktail party just days after returning home from a cruise!!! Of course, I am planning on hosting Christmas dinner for 12 when I return home from my cruise on Christmas Eve.....but I have done this quick turnaround before and can make it work.

We leave on Wednesday for a 4 night cruise out of Miami (in lieu of Christmas presents to each other). Daughter and I are wearing the same formal outfits that we wore in the Eastern Med in June (short cocktail dresses). Hubby and son are planning to wear their tuxes. But now I'm starting to wonder if they will stick out like sore thumbs and be sorry they brought the tuxes. Do you think a short cruise means less formality?

Stick with the tuxes! As long as it's called Formal Night, the guys will NOT stick out like sore thumbs!!

A very wise lady once said to me, "There's nothing wrong with being best dressed." I love that philosophy:cool::).

Next Post - a couple photos...

This is what I wore on Day 2 - to the Meet & Mingle. The loose-weave pullover and cami were purchased in Rehoboth at a shop that had lots of cruise-worthy attire! Temps were in the high 60s.

232323232%7Ffp%3B99%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C458%3A6335nu0mrj

...and this is Formal Night #1 - I wore the black pantyhose, but frankly, was not comfortable. Thank goodness my bottom half was hidden under the table and I changed clothes after dinner!

What do you think? Was this a CCF Faux Pas:eek:??

232323232%7Ffp%3B53%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C458%3B9335nu0mrj

Stick with the tuxes! As long as it's called Formal Night, the guys will NOT stick out like sore thumbs!!

A very wise lady once said to me, "There's nothing wrong with being best dressed." I love that philosophy:cool::).

Next Post - a couple photos...

Thanks for the encouragement! I am packing them now except that my son cannot find the bow tie and cummerbund and we leave at 7 a.m. tomorrow! Guess we can borrow from our FL...though they are going on the Norwegian Epic on Saturday but I doubt they do 'formal' on that.

This is what I wore on Day 2 - to the Meet & Mingle. The loose-weave pullover and cami were purchased in Rehoboth at a shop that had lots of cruise-worthy attire! Temps were in the high 60s.

232323232%7Ffp%3B99%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C458%3A6335nu0mrj

...and this is Formal Night #1 - I wore the black pantyhose, but frankly, was not comfortable. Thank goodness my bottom half was hidden under the table and I changed clothes after dinner!

What do you think? Was this a CCF Faux Pas:eek:??

232323232%7Ffp%3B53%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C458%3B9335nu0mrj

The Meet and Mingle outfit is really fun. Young at heart and on trend without being too young.

And you could never make a CCF faux pas! I'm not loving the black pantyhose, especially with an open toe shoe, but it's not horrible.

(I started this post once and it disappeared...hope there's no double post....)

This is one of my favorite outfits. The colors and print in the top make me happy and it's lightweight, too. Black Capris are basic and a no-brainer. The silver Naot sandals are so comfortable! I have them in black and also white. The black clutch was a consignment store find and it got lots of use (perfect size for lipstick, comb and glasses).

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C48488335nu0mrj

BTW - We had just signed up for a February 2014 cruise before DH took this photo:cool:.

More Notes to Self: Don't wear something if it doesn't feel right, i.e. black pantyhose!!!icon13.gif

Resign yourself to the fact that you WILL eat more while onboard. Don't obsess over clothes being tight on the last couple of cruise days. Those couple pounds can be worked off in a few weeks...

It isn't necessary to take 6 lipsticks! Two are plenty.

And here is an outfit I wear when disembarking in the winter in Baltimore or Bayonne. The Bagalini red bag is the best for traveling - lots of pockets and zippers.

Another pair of black pants. The pants and top are both Ralph Lauren. They aren't Caribbean-worthy...but the outfit works on the last day. I'm always a little sad to be leaving. But this time I have a new Coach handbag to help get rid of the post-cruise blues. Thanks DH!!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C484%3A7335nu0mrj

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is the week that cruising is NOT the first thing on our minds...but being a true CCF, I must take advantage of a short lull to start my preliminary Outfits List. A short one this time since the cruise is 7 nights. That equals 13 outfits.

I'm giving myself a week to undecorate and get back to "normal". Then outfit try-ons can begin. Some outfits are iffy...so I'm going to post photos and ask your opinion.

Happy New Year! May it be healthy, happy and fashionable!!:cool:

Yes, this is the week that cruising is NOT the first thing on our minds...but being a true CCF, I must take advantage of a short lull to start my preliminary Outfits List. A short one this time since the cruise is 7 nights. That equals 13 outfits.

I'm giving myself a week to undecorate and get back to "normal". Then outfit try-ons can begin. Some outfits are iffy...so I'm going to post photos and ask your opinion.

Happy New Year! May it be healthy, happy and fashionable!!:cool:

Looking forward to seeing your outfits.