Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I have had pretty good luck with BP!

I have purchased sweaters and pants mostly (often from the clearance selection) and have been pleased. I am on the tall side and wear a size 10. Their dress pants tend to have 33 inch inseams which is nice.

I have had to return one item - it was relatively painless, but I do not believe it was free...

The new catalog has some very cute things and if you go to the website they have a "Getaways" section that puts together a whole wardrobe collection for cruise, beach, resort, etc. Be careful...you may get hooked!!

Boston Proper catalog: great cruising clothes! No petite sizes BUT under Little Black Dresses, there is a one-shoulder dress that would probably only need hemmed...Thanks 5326jan, for sharing:)!

Even though I might not order something, it's fun to look at how a company puts outfits together - always something to learn or give me an idea.

Question: How do you feel about self-tanners? Having never used one, I'd like to hear opinions. My first concern is: how do they wear off? Some articles say they look blotchy. Do they stain your clothes?

No question that warm-weather outfits look better against tanned skin, but I haven't sunbathed in years and a tanning salon isn't for me. With 42 days to go, should I consider a "fake" tan? icon5.gif If so, what brand?

I have never had luck with any of the self-tanners for my medium, olive skin....they all turn my skin orange. The self-tanners come off after a couple days if I spend any time in the water...and it was just as well b/c I didn't like the color.....I have had luck, however, with a leg spray by Sally Hanson. I use the medium. I spray on well lotioned legs and rub it in with my hands. It hides the smaller spider veins but not the larger ones. If put on too heavy, it can rub off on your clothes.

I will definitely go to the BP website to check out "Getaways". Who knew??

The one fashion trend that isn't appealing to me right now - gladiator and/or high platform shoes/heels. I'm 5'1" and big shoes mess up proportion, making my legs look even shorter. BUT I did find a fun pair or Laura Ashley wedges w/ a small platform. They're "lizard" w/ a couple "gems" on the front. I'm planning to wear them when we sail from Baltimore.

Sally Hanson Leg Tanning Spray - Thanks for the info! I will buy it now and experiment. If the color doesn't work - it's still long-pants season so no one will notice;)!

Does anyone else have trouble with strapless bras not staying in place? Even though I've had fittings at Nordstrom & Victoria's Secret, inevitably the darn thing would start to slide down (not a very attractive look:eek:). From Victoria's Secret website I recently ordered a bustier (a strapless bra with a fitted bodice that goes to my waist). Hesitantly I tried it on - would it be uncomfortable? Too hot? Be noticeable under clothing? I wore it under a cami for several hours and it worked beautifully:)! Bonus: that little roll above my waist disappeared!

Bholling: I AM hooked:eek: and couldn't wait to post!! Thank you Bholling for letting us know about the Boston Proper website - I clicked on "Getaways" then "Cruise". Oh my! Each item I looked at appears on the left side as "Recently Viewed". An entire cruise wardrobe can be selected & you don't have to remember what every item was - it's right there!

The dresses (though not sized as Petite) looked short so they would probably be the right length for me - a couple inches either way of my knees.

I just might be tempted to order a thing or 2...

I have ordered quite a few things from Boston Proper and I also am 5'1" and have had to have everything shortened. You have to remember that most models are 5'10" and size nothing :p(well, actually, probably a 4:)) and everything they model is either clothes-pinned behind them or taken in so they look great.

Now having said that, I do love BP but I do think some of the items are a bit pricey for what they are. Yet, every once in a while I see something that I absolutely must have!

What a fun thread to read! I don't have a cruise planned at the moment (we are driving to Myrtle Beach next week for the first time!) but now I have lots of ideas about how to pack for anything - AND our next cruise. I'm favouring the Russian River...

Yay on the BP success!

I am eyeing a couple of swimsuits on that site right now. If you need help paring your purchases down to a reasonable level, we are all here to support you!! :)

Even though I fully plan to be bikini-ready by my Easter cruise I still wanted a 1-piece for more active times. This is the suit I ordered:

http://www.bostonproper.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=833384&parentCategoryId=0&categoryId=49&subCategoryId=2421

Edited by Bholling
to add link

Bholling: Nice swimsuit:cool: - which color did you order?

I'm always looking for a swimsuit with a matching cover-up - haven't found one that I love yet.

I just returned from Minneapolis - didn't get to Mall of America...but that's just as well because I don't need anything else for the next cruise. I did, however, buy a light-weight white jacket at Rodeo Road at the airport:). It will be an alternative to the sweater that gets worn on deck when the wind kicks up (which is every night at sea!)

At the airport in Minneapolis I went through the body scan and then had a pat down. Seems that "something" showed up around my waist. I didn't even have a belt on! No big deal - I was done almost as fast as DH who went through the regular screening.

I do it for every single vacation too....and when going to Europe and flying anywhere within Europe it can get rather costly...I found that out the hard way the Itialian Riveria and then Venice for Carnival.....went to fly to Prague 487 Euro!! OUCH!! lol (it was a 15 week vacation)

Teri

I ordered the Diva Coral as that ends up being a good color for me once I get some color. I already have a cute multi colored wrap that will match.

I also ordered these cute board shorts in the melonade color that should go well for a sportier look...

http://www.columbia.com/Women%E2%80%99s-Ravina-Gardens%E2%84%A2-Boardshort/FL4547,default,pd.html

Really, I'm done shopping now...except for the 3 dresses I am waiting for...

Love this thread! We are leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow for a back to back on the Celebrity Century. I have done a ton of shopping for this cruise because I recently lost 30 pounds and it's just so much fun to finally wear cute stuff.

We are flying this time so I am concerned about luggage weight. Our master bedroom is a complete mess right now since I started "staging" for packing. I have a canopy bed and it's great to hang clothes on between ironing and packing. Of course, my DH is threatening to sleep elsewhere if I don't move the stuff!

So far I have bought 2 bikinis from Venus that I am thrilled with. Boston Proper is great for shorts and capris. I am 5'0 and didn't have to hem them. I bought 1 strappless formal gown, 1 cocktail dress with rhinestone straps, and several sundresses and cover-ups. I'll try to post pics later this week

Love this thread! We are leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow for a back to back on the Celebrity Century. I have done a ton of shopping for this cruise because I recently lost 30 pounds and it's just so much fun to finally wear cute stuff.

We are flying this time so I am concerned about luggage weight. Our master bedroom is a complete mess right now since I started "staging" for packing. I have a canopy bed and it's great to hang clothes on between ironing and packing. Of course, my DH is threatening to sleep elsewhere if I don't move the stuff!

So far I have bought 2 bikinis from Venus that I am thrilled with. Boston Proper is great for shorts and capris. I am 5'0 and didn't have to hem them. I bought 1 strappless formal gown, 1 cocktail dress with rhinestone straps, and several sundresses and cover-ups. I'll try to post pics later this week

Can't wait to see pics! I need some inspiration!:rolleyes:

our turn: You Go Girl!! Losing 30 pounds is an awesome feat and you deserve a new wardrobe for sure!:)

20 years ago I lost 35 pounds and know exactly how you feel - like a new person knowing you look good and actually enjoying shopping.

I loved that you said you have "started staging for packing"! What a great description:cool:. I do that, too; but with the luxury of having a spare bedroom. Every potential cruise item gets hauled there and I can pick & choose, put outfits together and try them on without disturbing the rest of the house.

Tell DH to be patient, the wait will be worth it when he sees you in all those gorgeous clothes:cool:!

Boston Proper: What a great site for cruise clothes, especially with the "Get Away" dropdown menu featuring cruisewear. I've never ordered from them but since you are petite and say the Capris fit well, Boston Proper could be my next web stop! Capris are my favorite summer leisure attire.

Everyone on this thread can give inspiration and share ideas and posting photos of outfits is a good way to do that.

I asked my DDL about posting photos. She's an artist, photography was her minor. She told me to use my tripod and delay feature - having the outfit on gives a better idea of how it looks. I can set it up w/o assistance...but DH might take a couple pix, too. I'll be doing the final Try-On Before Packing next week and will post some pictures.

Indiana71, thanks, it does feel great. I know it shouldn't matter, but I just didn't feel good about myself when I was heavy and just shopped out of necessity.

I snuck in a little more shopping yesterday after picking up DS some basketball shoes. I found an adorable dress at Cache. Oh, and some earrings and a clutch. That called for a strapless bra at Victoria's Secret and then I lost all control!

Our cruise is 2 weeks from today and I still have so much to do. Our DS plays travel AAU basketball. We had 3 games today and have to be back in Durham at 7:30 in the morning. We will be in Charlotte next weekend so I don't know when I will get everything done.

Kim

Indiana71, thanks, it does feel great. I know it shouldn't matter, but I just didn't feel good about myself when I was heavy and just shopped out of necessity.

I snuck in a little more shopping yesterday after picking up DS some basketball shoes. I found an adorable dress at Cache. Oh, and some earrings and a clutch. That called for a strapless bra at Victoria's Secret and then I lost all control!

Our cruise is 2 weeks from today and I still have so much to do. Our DS plays travel AAU basketball. We had 3 games today and have to be back in Durham at 7:30 in the morning. We will be in Charlotte next weekend so I don't know when I will get everything done.

Kim

Hi Kim, congrats on the weight loss:) I see you said you are going on CENTURY:D. I have sailed her 5 times and will be sailing her again in May.

I hope you have a wonderful time:)

Thanks, Lois. We are really excited to sail on the Century. We were supposed to have sailed on the Mercury a while back but had to cancel because of a serious car accident. I haven't figured out how to change my info at the bottom.

I always enjoy your posts on the Celebrity board. We did cruise on the Millennium in '07 and it was my favorite so far.

I feel guilty accepting congrats on the weight loss because most of it was due to the accident I was in. It was a long, hard road back but I am finally able to do most everything now. My husband was also hurt and my MIL was killed. Our world was upside down for a very long time and I know I will savor and appreciate this cruise more.

ourturn: You have come through some heart wrenching, very sad times. Don't feel guilty about losing weight - you did it and now know how much better you feel. Enjoy every moment of your cruise!

I'm not very techno inclined...but really want to post some photos of my Cruise Outfits. Yesterday and today I tried on every outfit and set up my camera to take photos that I am happy to share, if you want to see them.

I have copied photos from my photo processing website. Those pix are small and details aren't easy to see...but when I copy from my computer, I can't paste here.?? Details aren't as noticeable but the 1st photo is my Travel to the Ship/SailAway/First Night Dinner outfit.

232323232%7Ffp%3A99%3Evq%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D344734%3B646335vq0mrj

Next is the same outfit but w/ a lightweight pullover. Since we're cruising from Baltimore, it's likely to be cool.

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3A%3B%3Evq%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D344734%3B7%3C3335vq0mrj

If these pix are okay, I will post more. Let me know what you think. And if there's something you don't like or would change in an outfit (or part of an outfit), I would love to hear that too!

Everyone is welcome to post photos.

Edited by indiana71

Indiana71 - thanks for your kind words. Life is so good, I cheered like a mad woman at my ds ballgames all weekend and just kept smiling because in a little over a week, we will be cruising!

What a fun idea to post these modeling shots. I can't enlarge them on my computer - bummer. Hope to get some of my pics up next week.

Kim

I found directions on how to Upload a Photo to Cruise Critic. I'll give it a try...

attachment.php?attachmentid=187662&stc=1&d=1299510885

Oh boy...I figured out how to copy & paste...but not how to turn it:confused:.

All my "modeling" pix are like this. I don't want anyone to get a sore neck so probably no more pictures (at least for now...)

Now that packing is underway - here's another question:

Do you take more cosmetics, lotions, hair products, etc., than you will use??

That's the one area where I overdo. With all good intentions, of course. Sure there will be time for a 15-minute hair conditioning treatment, or an extra minute to use a lipstick brush every time the color fades; maybe even a cleansing mask before preparing for Formal Night. BUT IT NEVER HAPPENS! Hair gets washed & conditioned in the shower because there's only 20 minutes before the next activity; lipstick goes from tube to lips since DH is waiting patiently outside the Ladies Room. And the cleansing mask? Usually we are enjoying a beverage by the pool in the late afternoon & with early dinner seating, I would rather bask in the ship's atmosphere than lay on the bed in my stateroom waiting for a mask to dry!

The upside is - cosmetics don't take up much room in the luggage. Airport security isn't an issue when we don't fly. I don't feel guilty about taking extra "pretty-fying" stuff. You never know, I might use it this time;).

BTW - Taking the suction-cupped wire toiletries holder from the shower is a good idea. Ship showers don't have any shelf space so I stick it on the wall and keep shampoo, razors, whatever within easy reach (not on the floor of the shower where they used to end up).

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3A4%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D344734%3B7%3C3335nu0mrj

YAY! I did it - not sure how:confused:. Sorry about dominating this thread for the last 3 posts...

Anyway, this is the same outfit as the sidewise shot above, but with a light loose-weave sweater for an anticipated cool Baltimore SailAway...that must be why I'm not looking very happy here...

Edited by indiana71

Indiana71 - Love the outfit also. Shoes are so cute. Try to remember how you posted so you can tell me how!

Going crazy trying to eliminate some outfits, weighed my bag this morning and it is over. Usually drive to port so this is new to me.

With night before in hotel, I am packing for 10 days.

This is what I have so far:

4 bathing suits

1 terry halter cover-up

1 terry mini skirt & tube top cover up

1 sarong cover up

1 white dressy capris

1 white casual capris

1 black dressy capris

1 black silky city shorts

2 pair white shorts

1 pair khaki shorts

1 pair gold shorts

1 denim mini skirt

2 polo shirts

4 v-neck t shirts

1 round neck t shirt

1 white & black geometric pattern top

1 white, black & hot pink floral silk halter

1 black & brown silk strapless top

1 leopard print halter

1 gold metallic halter

1 black, teal & purple spaghetti strap silk top

1 green paisley sundress

1 blue, rust & gold "aztec" pattern wrap skirt & top

1 green, rust & gold halter dress

1 blue sheath dress

1 blue & green halter dress

1 blue & white floral sundress

1 black & white sleeveless geometric print dress

1 navy, white & gold "chain" pattern dress

1 saphire blue long silk gown with rhinestone straps

1 gold cocktail dress with rhinestone straps

1 pale silver strapless gown (for vow renewal)

various underwear & lingerie

1 pair black flip flops

1 pair white flip flops

1 pair gold flip flops

1 pair silver heels

1 pair gold heels

1 pair black heels

1 pair black patent leather flats

1 pair white low heels

1 black casual clutch

1 silver sparkle clutch

1 gold sparkle clutch

I don't see anywhere I can cut much farther. Looks like I will start tossing DH's stuff. LOL:)

ourturn: I love your list! Just by reading "4 swimsuits" and a dress for renewing vows, it's going to be a great cruise with lots of happy memories AND you will look good every minute:).

Your silver shoes inspired me to post another photo. I looked for silver heels for 2 years and found them, finally, in our local mall for under $30!

This is the outfit I'll wear to the specialty restaurant - not formal, but also not casual. Again - no smile...hmmmm...must be because the timer was only 20 seconds & I was thinking more about the timing than smiling. Trust me, I had lots of fun trying on all these outfits! The top is from Black Market White House.

232323232%7Ffp%3A9%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D344734%3B7%3C8335nu0mrj

How I did the upload: It was easy! I went to snapfish (where our photos are processed), clicked on the photo to enlarge it. (That's what I missed earlier). Clicked on the enlargement to Copy and then pasted it here. Nothin' to it;)!

Edited by indiana71