Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

What a gorgeous family! I hope your trip continues to be awesome! I too have a great girlfriend that I get together with for lunch and shopping and talking about our cruises...isn't it fun to have someone like that in our lives!?:D

Thank you! We had such a great time! And yes, it is fun! We're like sisters, in a real way. Our two kids married each other after dating since 8th grade. She's my roomie on my August cruise! She told me she ordered sleeveless polls from Lands End and is now good to go. I told her what fun is that!!! I'm sure there will be some small purchases before August!😀

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

When we returned to the main house - no internet:(:eek:! DH was on the phone going through all the "If you want.....push...." and a verizon guy came to the house. He doesn't know what he did - but internet is BACK (except printers and kindle.....oy!)

ANYWAY - without a computer, might as well start packing! 90% of my "stuff" is in the suitcase. Just starting DH's (who hasn't chosen all his "stuff" yet...no surprise there:rolleyes:!)

DIL & I went to Label $hopper last weekend. I bought nothing - tried on some things that just didn't work. But DIL found a couple tops and a pair of shoes. Will definitely go back!

With the talk RE websites - what's your favorite cruise clothes site? Etsy has several areas: tropical jewelry, evening bags, etc. I mentioned Boston Proper many pages ago. The website has a dropdown for Cruising. Too bad their clothes don't come in petite sizes....

Cruise Clothes for Husbands: My DH won't shop for himself so that's one of the reasons we have a Pre-Cruise Dinner to review the itinerary...and I give him gifts. He's happy to have some new clothes without going to a store.

When we returned to the main house - no internet:(:eek:! DH was on the phone going through all the "If you want.....push...." and a verizon guy came to the house. He doesn't know what he did - but internet is BACK (except printers and kindle.....oy!)

ANYWAY - without a computer, might as well start packing! 90% of my "stuff" is in the suitcase. Just starting DH's (who hasn't chosen all his "stuff" yet...no surprise there:rolleyes:!)

DIL & I went to Label $hopper last weekend. I bought nothing - tried on some things that just didn't work. But DIL found a couple tops and a pair of shoes. Will definitely go back!

With the talk RE websites - what's your favorite cruise clothes site? Etsy has several areas: tropical jewelry, evening bags, etc. I mentioned Boston Proper many pages ago. The website has a dropdown for Cruising. Too bad their clothes don't come in petite sizes....

Cruise Clothes for Husbands: My DH won't shop for himself so that's one of the reasons we have a Pre-Cruise Dinner to review the itinerary...and I give him gifts. He's happy to have some new clothes without going to a store.

No internet, it had its good side, you got most of your packing done. Glad that you got it fixed. My DH does not shop for himself either. I do all of that for him. I am glad that he and I like the same colors and style. That make shopping easy for me, having the same tastes.

LOL! That's what we do!:D I usually buy a few new things for the DH and DS. The DS loves to shop...wonder where he got it!;)

This morning I took a couple bags of donation items to Goodwill...and went inside...to just look. 3 Ann Taylor tops called my name. And TJ Maxx is in the same area...brown sandals, lime sandals and shapewear (for that not-so-attractive muffin top). Not bad for (the desire for shoes never ends...)under $50:).

I'm a fan of Spanx and love the Power Panties (gotta love the name;))...but the new shapewear is by Maidenform, called Hi-Waist Boyshort. The "Hi-Waist" part is almost to the bottom of my bra. If it doesn't roll down, I'm sold! (and for $12.99 will consider that a good deal!)

I also found a lipstick that is close to perfection (IMHO) - by Estee Lauder. The label reads "Pure Color - Envy - 320 - Defiant Coral". Ironically, coral is not a color I would choose, but the dept store cosmetics person suggested it. Wow! The color is rich. Not slick & shiny. Stays on (at least through a Cappuccino at Starbucks). Applying it with a lip brush and then blotting helps, too.

While at Starbucks, I was reading Redbook magazine (while everyone else was on an electronic device). Here's a quote from the editor: "Getting dressed should make you feel self-assured and happy, not vulnerable or judged." That about sums it up for CCFs:cool::)!

Indiana71, congratulations on your $50 shopping trip!

I agree, one never has too many shoes!:D

I went shopping myself yesterday (rewarded myself for getting through my first week after oral surgery...ugh and ouch). I found the perfect white shirt. It is tunic-length, made of a very light silky fabric. It has roll up sleeves that are held up with a button tab and it has a high/lo hem. I loved it so much that I got two of them!;) It buttons up the front and has an inverted pleat in the back. Love it!

I also got yet another pair of sunglasses (I wore glasses for 45 years until I had cataract surgery and don't need glasses or contacts anymore...yea!). I also got a red/white/blue Lucky Brand scarf at a steal to wear for the 4th of July. I spent $60!

I love fashion!!!!:D The charities that I donate my castoffs to...love me!:D

Edited by mousey

Indiana71, congratulations on your $50 shopping trip!

I agree, one never has too many shoes!:D

I went shopping myself yesterday (rewarded myself for getting through my first week after oral surgery...ugh and ouch). I found the perfect white shirt. It is tunic-length, made of a very light silky fabric. It has roll up sleeves that are held up with a button tab and it has a high/lo hem. I loved it so much that I got two of them!;) It buttons up the front and has an inverted pleat in the back. Love it!

I also got yet another pair of sunglasses (I wore glasses for 45 years until I had cataract surgery and don't need glasses or contacts anymore...yea!). I also got a red/white/blue Lucky Brand scarf at a steal to wear for the 4th of July. I spent $60!

I love fashion!!!!:D The charities that I donate my castoffs to...love me!:D

Your white shirt sounds great! I just had cataract surgery too!!! So happy to throw the reading glasses and mono contact away!! I lose a pair of sunglasses on just about every trip!! So I'm always looking for a great pair. My temple piece fell off on the plane ride down so off to Ross I went, found a great Steve Madden pair for $9.99. Now I wear those and my $3 pair from the label store!! My DH is an eye Doc so I lucked out there!!

A Perfect White Shirt - what a great find:). One of the basic pieces in a CCFs wardrobe - it will go with everything:cool:.

How I envy all of you who can wear nonperscription sunglasses! There are so many great designs at reasonable prices! I'm pleased with my Transition Glasses...but would be nice to have a couple pair:cool:.

Update on ShapeWear: The Maidenform shapewear (for muffin top) is working so far. Have it on under a knit top and the love handles are nonexistent. The top hasn't rolled down and the entire thing is reasonably comfortable...

A Perfect White Shirt - what a great find:). One of the basic pieces in a CCFs wardrobe - it will go with everything:cool:.

How I envy all of you who can wear nonperscription sunglasses! There are so many great designs at reasonable prices! I'm pleased with my Transition Glasses...but would be nice to have a couple pair:cool:.

Update on ShapeWear: The Maidenform shapewear (for muffin top) is working so far. Have it on under a knit top and the love handles are nonexistent. The top hasn't rolled down and the entire thing is reasonably comfortable...

Glad to hear this! The shapewear I wore today just kept rolling down and it was just annoying. I'll have to get over to TJMaxx and check out the Maidenform shapewear. Thanks for the tip!:D

Sorry ladies, I just have to vent. Just sat down at the computer to check this thread. I started to smell the neighborhood skunk! I ran into the kitchen and the window was open. The smell was coming in. I shut the window real fast. Boy, what a smell! It happens every once in a while. In the pass month I saw it walk through our back yard twice. From a distance they are beautiful animals. Butt why can't they smell like tropical sea breeze?

Nancy, you are always so put together and organized. I want to know how you decide how many outfits you take on a cruise and what outfits go and what stay home. I am having trouble because I love all my clothes and I always buy with everyday and cruising in mind.

I am finding it easy for daytime. But, we always change before dinner and that is where I am finding it difficult.

Help!?

Sorry ladies, I just have to vent. Just sat down at the computer to check this thread. I started to smell the neighborhood skunk! I ran into the kitchen and the window was open. The smell was coming in. I shut the window real fast. Boy, what a smell! It happens every once in a while. In the pass month I saw it walk through our back yard twice. From a distance they are beautiful animals. Butt why can't they smell like tropical sea breeze?

I've always been a Pepe Lapew fan...not so much of real skunks though! LOL!

Nancy, you are always so put together and organized. I want to know how you decide how many outfits you take on a cruise and what outfits go and what stay home. I am having trouble because I love all my clothes and I always buy with everyday and cruising in mind.

I am finding it easy for daytime. But, we always change before dinner and that is where I am finding it difficult.

Help!?

I always make a chart and put together outfits for each day/night depending on what I'll be doing during the day. I'm not a light packer though. I always fill up a large suitcase. But that's how I roll!

I didn't go back to reread posts. Are you looking to pack light? If so, I wouldn't be much help...sorry. What exactly is your problem otherwise regarding you evening outfits?

I always make a chart and put together outfits for each day/night depending on what I'll be doing during the day. I'm not a light packer though. I always fill up a large suitcase. But that's how I roll!

I didn't go back to reread posts. Are you looking to pack light? If so, I wouldn't be much help...sorry. What exactly is your problem otherwise regarding you evening outfits?

We are on a 9 night cruise. Because we drive to the port, I don't need to pack light. I had originally planned to wear a different dress to dinner each night. Now, I am rethinking that plan.

I have 3 skirts I will be packing, and I think I will just pack 2 tops for each one. Then 4 dresses, 2 for formal nights, 1 for Portofino's and 1 just because.

A girl needs options.:)

I just thought that because Indiana is so organized she could give me suggestions on adding or eliminating outfits. We only have 1 hanging, rolling, garment bag so I was trying to think about space.

We are on a 9 night cruise. Because we drive to the port, I don't need to pack light. I had originally planned to wear a different dress to dinner each night. Now, I am rethinking that plan.

I have 3 skirts I will be packing, and I think I will just pack 2 tops for each one. Then 4 dresses, 2 for formal nights, 1 for Portofino's and 1 just because.

A girl needs options.:)

I just thought that because Indiana is so organized she could give me suggestions on adding or eliminating outfits. We only have 1 hanging, rolling, garment bag so I was trying to think about space.

We leave on Friday for Venice and then a 12 night Eastern Mediterranean cruise. We will each have a carryon and a 26 inch suitcase even though it will be a pain to cart them around Venice and to Civitavecchia to get on our ship. But we like changing for dinner and dressing for formal nights. I am, however, planning on re-wearing several dresses I am packing to cut down on some of the space. We found two years ago on a similar cruise that we really need a lot of casual tops for touring as it is HOT in the Med in June. And there's no self service laundry on Celebrity.

Can't wait!

We leave on Friday for Venice and then a 12 night Eastern Mediterranean cruise. We will each have a carryon and a 26 inch suitcase even though it will be a pain to cart them around Venice and to Civitavecchia to get on our ship. But we like changing for dinner and dressing for formal nights. I am, however, planning on re-wearing several dresses I am packing to cut down on some of the space. We found two years ago on a similar cruise that we really need a lot of casual tops for touring as it is HOT in the Med in June. And there's no self service laundry on Celebrity.

Can't wait!

Your itinerary is one DH and I hope to book within next two years. Kind of a bucket list thing. His thing is travel mine is more cruise specific. He's taken me to South America twice and Australia twice. Finally made good on Alaska cruise promise! So this is all that's left. Although I did salivate over 58 day cruise RCCL just posted for new ship(broken down into 9 smaller trips)...

Caribbean is where we usually cruise and he doesn't do that often, tho I think that's changing. It's so easy since we're now in Florida more often. I cruise more often with girlfriends:).

I hope you have an amazing time. Taking a couple of tops for each bottom is a definite, and I try to stay with black, white and neutral colored pants. Then throw in some color. Have fun!

Thanks for the nice wishes. We are VERY excited!

I started the packing yesterday and am finding that I will probably have extra room in my larger suitcase. Not a bad thing so I may throw an extra skirt or pair of flats in. I'm doing a bit of color mix and matching but, honestly, I know that many of the tops won't be worn more than once because of the heat.

Sunnydaygirl, glad you have this type of cruise on your bucket list as it is quite an amazing journey. And one of the reasons we enjoyed it so much the first time is that you do get some time on Sea Days and some port days to spend time at the pool. We often returned to the ship around 3 p.m. on port days and enjoyed some time just lounging around.

geogcruiser: You can't see, but I'm holding my nose at the thought of your neighborhood skunk! We have had the same issue, but (fingers crossed) not this year. I laughed out loud when reading your comment, "Why can't they smell like a tropical sea breeze.";) If that were the case, all CCFs would be hoping for a skunk invasion:rolleyes:!

luvscruising: The Packing Process for me, begins with sheets of copy paper cut into fourths. At the top I write the day and an activity that needs an outfit, i,e., Sea Day or San Juan excursion, etc.

I do the same for every evening, and any other activity.

Now I know how many outfits are needed. Almost always, it's two outfits per day: one daytime, one evening. If it's a Sea Day and we're wearing swimsuits, there's still an outfit listed. (What if it's too cold or something else is planned???_

Next, I lay out all accessories so they can be seen (jewelry, shoes, etc.). Often a particular piece of jewelry inspires an entire outfit.

Formal nights are easiest for me, since I generally wear a cocktail dress, heels and jewelry.

After all outfits are on paper, the Try Ons begin. That way if something needs cleaned, altered, whatever, it won't be a surprise onboard.

All chosen outfits go on the spreadsheet. I don't wear the same thing twice (except shoes).

The Process might seem too detailed for some CCFs, but it works for me. Each night on the cruise, I lay out the next day's outfit. Much time is saved since every item had been chosen & tried on weeks before.

Hope this helps!

Women are lucky (some might say UNlucky) - we can wear dresses, skirts, various lengths of pants to dinner. That either makes choosing fun or way too complicated!

If luggage weight isn't an issue, I encourage CCFs to pack as much as you can fit in the stateroom storage areas. Yes, it takes a little time to put it all away, but there's no shortage of choices:cool:!

Edited by indiana71

indiana71,

You made me laugh thinking of you holding your nose. A few year ago we had one skunk that did not mine us being out in the back yard early AM when he would pass by. At times about 6 feet from us, it would just walk on by. Then one time a different one came and he go too close to us and we both got sprayed. Had to remove our cloths outside and run to the shower. Thank God it was fall and we were mostly covered, we had pants and long sleeves on.

We have a cruise on Explorer of the Seas and I believe that you have been on her. It is a five night out of Port C. Fl. Did you like the ship and food. What about dress, is it like other RCCL ships?

Indiana- I am basically doing the same thing as you describe. I need to add shoes and jewelry. After reading your comments I may not rewear anything. I won't rewear tops, but skirts don't seem a problem.

Geocruiser, we were on Explorer to the Caribbean, actually Indiana was on that cruise too. Most people dressed for formal nights, tuxes and dark suits for the men. Women mostly in cocktail dresses, some in long gowns. I didn't really notice on other nights but it seemed that most made an effort to dress appropriately. Food was fine. I always found something good to eat. We ate in MDR every night. We had planned on a night at Portofinos but loved our table mates so much we cancelled.

The crew was fantastic.

Indiana 71,

I do the same as you except that I don't do in individual sheets of paper. I use a legal pad and make a chart. I too plan for 2 outfits a day. I don't re-wear tops, except as I've mentioned before...I use tunic cover-ups over capri pants for casual nights in the MDR and then will wear them again as cover-ups for my swimsuits. I don't re-wear skirts or dresses but I do sometimes re-wear my denim capri pants, for example, if I don't get them dirty or wet on an excursion...I'll wear them on another excursion. I just love putting outfits together and matching jewelry and shoes to each of them. I have a pair of cage/gladiator-style sandals that have a very small wedge that are black patent and zip in the back. They can either look dressed up with a skirt or nice slacks or casual with my denim capris. I get compliments on them all the time. I've had them for several years now and though I wear them often...they still look brand new!

It's not for sure yet...because the DS just got a job as a Karate instructor at an upscale, local camp about 5 min. from our house...Yea!...but we might be going to a 4-day Mexican cruise out of Long Beach in the middle of August before the DS goes back to the U of A. I'm so excited! Even though it's only a 4-dayer...I'm still hyped to go.:D

Indiana- I am basically doing the same thing as you describe. I need to add shoes and jewelry. After reading your comments I may not rewear anything. I won't rewear tops, but skirts don't seem a problem.

Geocruiser, we were on Explorer to the Caribbean, actually Indiana was on that cruise too. Most people dressed for formal nights, tuxes and dark suits for the men. Women mostly in cocktail dresses, some in long gowns. I didn't really notice on other nights but it seemed that most made an effort to dress appropriately. Food was fine. I always found something good to eat. We ate in MDR every night. We had planned on a night at Portofinos but loved our table mates so much we cancelled.

The crew was fantastic.

Thanks, this is a five night cruise and I was not sure if people still get dressed on a cruise less than a week. In the pass (about 5 years ago) we did a four night RCCl cruise and there was a formal night. We will bring the fancy stuff to wear.

Indiana, I thought of you in the Ross dressing room. I thought as I looked at the metal rack. Wouldn't this be perfect in your cruise room to hang clothes and match outfits! I bought this white tank top. I love the bottom detail, it made me feel happy! I also bought a dress for my august cruise. I'll share once I get back to Indiana and I see if my daughter can help alter under the arms. Why such deep arm pits?? Leaving Florida Friday. I had started the process of cleaning g a closet to make my "cruise space" happy to get back and start organizing. I have two sizes. I wish I could say I'm in the smaller now, but too much travel eating hasn't kept me there:(. Will get on that too!! Nite.

PS. Love RCCL. Check to see if they have formal night on their 4 day. Some lines have cut that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our last and rare 5-night cruise (we mostly do 7-dayers), I dressed up every night. What I consider dressing up for casual nights is a pretty top and either a nice pair of capri pants or maxi skirt, or sometimes, I'll wear a dress. I'll accent whatever I'm wearing with pretty jewelry, a really nice pair of sandals, and a cute clutch. On "elegant" night, I'll usually wear a fancier maxi skirt and really pretty top or a cocktail dress, instead of capri pants, a casual maxi skirt, or dress. I don't know if the Carnival ship (the name of which escapes me just now) we would be sailing on has a formal night as it's only a 4-day cruise. I'll have to check into that. It doesn't really matter to me because if it doesn't, I'll still pick one night and dress up anyway.:o:D

Edited by mousey