Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I just found this thread last night and read thru the entire thing!!! WOW you ladies have this fashionista thing down to a science!:)

I always thought that I was organized and all but I learned a lot of new tricks from ya'll.

We cruise the middle of December and I have been puttting things in the "cruise closet" for about 2 months now, and it is getting pretty full so now I have to go thru and set the sets up and get the jewlery and thing with each outfit. At least as much as I can for now.

We don't have too many places here in Yuma to shop except at our mall. It is limited to Marshalls, Kohls, Pennys, Dillards, Ross, Old Navy (just opened up not too long ago). We usually plan a weekend and either go to San Diego or Phoenix to do alot of shopping.

Over Labor day weekend we went to Phoenix to the Dillards Clearance center and I found 3 fabulous gowns for the cruise. and they were all 70% off the price marked. 2 of them were $50 something each and 1 was 19.99.

I was really shocked that the DH even got into shopping there. He got 10 new pairs of shorts ($45.00 a pr oringinally but we paid $2.99 each), 3 nice long sleeved dress shirts, a nice pair of dress slacks, and several nice polo type t-shirts. All together for all of it his clothes and my dresses and oh yeah my new straw handbag with shells on the front we spent $300.00.

Can I say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that store!!!!

The funny thing was that we had gone to the Dillards in El Centro California the Sat. before and I had found 2 gowns there on clearance and then they had an additional 40% off. The 2 gowns came out to be $60 for both!!! I also got a pair of Vince Camuto dress sandals for $18. I also picked up 2 little shrugs ( $10 each) for the cool walks on deck and a really cute swimsuit. The swimsuit was steal at $20 for a slimming 1 piece.

I walked away both times saying "SCORE!!!!!"

I thought the sandals needed something so when I got home I added some "bling" to them.

When I get some pictures of the dresses today I will post them.

My friends all laugh at me because when I am shopping I don't shop for what to wear now I shop with the mindset "That will be cute in this or that port and that would be great for Formal night or Casual night.":)

Indiana You are my Hero!!!!!!

Now I need to start my lists and set the outfits up and get pictures for ya'll to see.

Happy planning everyone.

I hope this works. These are the dresses that I am taking on the cruise in December.

I haven't started worrying about the everyday clothes yet just the dress clothes and shoes. The picture with the single pair of shoes are my go to shoes. They have been on every cruise and worn at once or twice when I have walked too much in port and my feet hurt.

The little white bag in front of the shoes I made to take this time. I only needed something to keep my glasses in and my room key and lip gloss.

The long black beaded dress and the mauve gown were from a fabulous fashionista on another thread. She is an angel sent to many of us ladies on that thread. She has very kindly donated all of the fabulous dresses and shoes to each of us. The black patent leather sandals also came from her. There really aren't enough kind words to say about her except that she is the greatest fashionista I know. :-)

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3962294023/a=1648152023_1648152023/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Edited by TNGALOHA

cardamom: Bermuda in November should be very pleasant...but as you know, Baltimore will be chilly, maybe even cold. Pants and sweaters are my suggestion until you reach the warmer climate. You can always layer a knit top or T-top under a sweater.

When I'm in the Caribbean, it's summer-fun clothes, no matter what month:cool:! Capris and short sleeve tops would work in Bermuda. There will probably be tourists on the beaches, so take a swimsuit. It doesn't take up much room, even if you don't wear it.

Everything you bought at Chico's will be totally appropriate! Their clothes are made for cruising!

I bet you get a lot of wear out of your animal-print skirt! And with the black top, it's a perfect outfit.

SAN415: Okay, now I understand!! You PACK the hangers with outfits in your suitcase...not in garment bags. What a GREAT idea! I spend time unpacking and putting each part of an outfit on one hanger on Day One of a cruise - just when I want to be on deck soaking up the fun atmosphere:mad:! I will DEFINITELY follow your lead and pack outfits ON the hanger:)!

There's always been room in the stateroom closet, but not always space for laying tops and shorts in drawers or on shelves. By putting an entire outfit on one hanger, I will save scads of time!!

Thank you!

TNGALOHA: Welcome!! I love that you read all 22 pages and picked up a couple suggestions. Your hints and ideas are welcome, too.

The stores you have sound good to me. All my small town has is a Penney's, Old Navy and TJ Maxx (just opened). We also have a boutique and a popular consignment shop. Don't you just love to get a great bargain:)!

Maybe "cruise closets" will become part of every fashionistas house!

I went to snapfish to look at your dresses. That's where my photos are, too; so I didn't have any problems. Very nice outfits!

Fashionista minds must think alike - I plan dinner and evening outfits before daytime casual...no reason...you have to start somewhere...

Now that I've tried on outfits, packing can soon get underway for a trip to Las Vegas. Not much different from cruise outfits...

This is a dress I got on sale at Macy's - Jones New York, on sale for 50% off + a coupon!

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D349952%3A%3B34335nu0mrj

This is the outfit I will travel in - have had the off-white pants for at least a year and never wore them! I LOVE the Laura Ashley wedges, and the top was half off at Coldwater Creek. Can you spot my OOPS??! (I tried on a couple different pairs of earrings and decided on these, but didn't put on the other one!).

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3499528397335nu0mrj

I'll show you a couple casual outfits on the next post.

Edited by indiana71

This is one of my go-to outfits (and might have posted it before). I'll wear this to dinner and a show...and I just noticed - once again, only one earring! YIKES!!

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C2%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3499528388335nu0mrj

As you can tell, I love bright, happy colors. This will be for a casual day of shopping and walking the strip. The wedges are La Plume and are super comfortable! The top is from Victoria's Secret and the shorts are from a thrift store (label cut out).

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D349952%3A%3A%3C9335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

This is one of my go-to outfits (and might have posted it before). I'll wear this to dinner and a show.

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C2%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3499528388335nu0mrj

As you can tell, I love bright, happy colors. This will be for a casual day of shopping and walking the strip. The wedges are La Plume and are super comfortable! The top is from Victoria's Secret and the shorts are from a thrift store (label cut out).

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D349952%3A%3A%3C9335nu0mrj

Cute Cute Cute!!!!

Indiana- You look great in your outfits! thanks for the Bermuda advise. I will take capris (or crop pants) with tanks and T's for Bermuda. We will be inside for most evenings, plan on eating in the MDR, and will have fun "dressing up". Nice thing about going with the girls- we can dress for fun. I have a Jones NY black cocktail dress for formal night. I have the same dress (it fit so well!) in Red- not sure which one to take? I love red, but will not have much of a tan in Nov.

Chicos makes it so easy to coordinate (I find bargains in stores all over and then don't know what to wear them with!) I may not shop anywhere else! with their discounts and Passport, and no tax on clothing in Delaware, I think I can save. Of course, there is the occasional trip to Filene's Basement in Baltimore before the cruise.

Have fun in Vegas- one of my cruise partners is here now, and took a lotof what we bough in Chicos.

TNGALOHA: Thank you for the compliment RE being computer savvy! My sons (and soon my grandchildren) would beg to disagree:eek:!

BUT - I do know how to post photos...

1. All my photos are uploaded to snapfish dot com. Once they're there, I go to View Album.

1A. ( I have both snapfish and cruise critic open)

2. Each photo is shown in a row at the top and I click on the one I want to copy.

3. Right click on the photo to "Copy".

4. Go to this thread in the reply box and "Paste" at the cursor.

Hope this helps! Other photo websites probably work in a similar way. If I try to copy from my computer, the pasted photo is tiny.

cardamom: How much fun it would be to cruise w/ girlfriends:)! I love that you bought the same dress in 2 different colors. When something fits perfectly and you love it, why not!! Take pictures on formal night (or any time) and post them here. We would love to see them!

Don't worry about the tan - you will glow just being on a ship and having fun:cool:!

I was in Chico's recently. The lady in front of me at the register had a HUGE pile of clothes - most were on sale, a few were not. Her bill was over $500!! BUT she had a huge armful.

I agree about having a Chico's passport - anyone can get one and it's a nice perq!

This is the dress I am wearing the first formal night on the first the cruise. We are going to have 4 of them and then Christmas also.

232323232%7Ffp53997%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E85%3A%3E249768494%3B255wp1lsi

this is the back of the dress.

232323232%7Ffp63259%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E856%3E2497684947255wp1lsi

This will be for the second formal night

232323232%7Ffp53689%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E866%3E2497684957255wp1lsi

Here is the front

232323232%7Ffp536%3A5%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E864%3E2497684955255wp1lsi

The third formal night

232323232%7Ffp73272%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E872%3E2497684963255wp1lsi

The fourth formal night

232323232%7Ffp53447%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E848%3E2497684939255wp1lsi

Edited by TNGALOHA

The back. I used a hanger so that it would spread the dress out enough so that you could see all of the gorgeus detail. This is the dress that a very gracious fashionista gave to me from another thread on here.

232323232%7Ffp539%3A7%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E846%3E2497684937255wp1lsi

Here is one that I will be wearing on the 21st of Dec. It is the anniversary of our vow renewal and we always get dressed up for that.

232323232%7Ffp533%3A8%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E876%3E2497684967255wp1lsi

and the back

232323232%7Ffp5337%3B%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E87%3A%3E249768496%3B255wp1lsi

The rest are for casual nights except the Burgandy dress and it is for Christmas night.

232323232%7Ffp63252%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E842%3E2497684933255wp1lsi

232323232%7Ffp53439%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E882%3E2497684973255wp1lsi

232323232%7Ffp5363%3A%3Evq%3D33%3A6%3E684%3E84%3A%3E249768493%3B255wp1lsi

Hello Indiana and all you other Fashionistas!!!

We are leaving on our FIRST cruise on Serenade of the Seas on March 31, 2012 to the Carribbean and I thought, wow, 7 months to wait :(. BUT, then I found this thread last night, read the entire thing, and then proceeded to do some on line shopping at Chico's and Coldwater Creek to try and snag some end of season items on sale. SCORE :p!!! In reading all the posts it's clear that I need to get it in gear selling stuff on e-bay so I can pay for my new purchases and then use my e-bay room as my cruise room :D. So much to do in so little time, lolololo! Can't wait to read and see more on this thread. Will post pictures of outfits when we get closer to cruise time!!

Mamacruiser2012

TNGALOHA: So happy to see your photos posted! Your dresses are gorgeous! I especially like the dress w/ the strappy back. Lucky you - a gift from another fashionista:)! The vow renewal dress will be perfect for the occasion.

You should make and sell the clutch on etsy dot com! It's the perfect size for an evening bag.

And I love that you have shoes that are stylish AND comfortable as your "Go To" pair.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures:):)!

mamacruiser2012: Welcome to the Caribbean Cruising Fashionista thread!!

Your taste is very similar to mine. The colors and styles are made for cruising:cool:! The raspberry top w/ flowers is one I would like to have in a bunch of colors! It looks light-weight and easy to pack.

Having a room to keep cruise clothes, etc. is a HUGE help, so good luck selling your ebay items. Then you will have space + $$:cool:!

Keep us posted. Everyone here loves to watch the progress others make. It helps keep the enthusiasm as we countdown days (like we need to boost our enthusiasm!!)

Great!! I just tracked my dress I ordered for formal night. It will be at ups on the 21st. and since I work there I will get it as soon as I get to work. Ummmm no I wont be trying it on at wok, but I will take a look at it.

Okay..I think I will go look for some purple jewelery online now.

SAN415: Before retiring as a school secretary, I had all orders sent to my office. How nice it was to not wait till after work to see what's in the package! Lucky you -working at UPS and getting an order so quickly.

A picture is worth a thousand words (someone once said). Thank you for asking for more. I encourage all posters to include photos. Because of suggestions or info here, I purchased a Bagalini (that's going to Vegas) and have gone to websites for cruise clothes.

Being able to track a package has been very helpful, too.

Now that the packing for Vegas is almost complete, there won't be any more posed photos until we return.

...oh yeah...while going on an errand downtown, I walked in to the boutique...just to see what summer items might be on sale...

I DID buy a nice knit top (by Tribal - a brand that fits me w/o alterations) at half price...and then the nice owner showed me a dress that just came in...What harm could it be to try it on????

Yes, I bought it. Another brand I like (Joseph Ribhoff). The fabric is perfect for packing and the mock-wrap style with sleeves will work great in air-conditioned dining rooms. It's going to Vegas and DH will take a photo.

BTW to cardamom: We don't own a place in Rehoboth, but have gone there for a few days when our son & his family spend a week at DDL's parents rented condo.

We stay in a hotel just off the boardwalk. Rehoboth is a fabulous place to go...if it wasn't such a long drive for us, we would go more often.

Edited by indiana71

Indiana: Thank's for the welcome :p Hope your Vegas trip is going well!! Will be looking forward to your re-cap as well as additional packing hints and outfit photos. You were right when you said we had similar tastes. There were several piece of clothing that you posted that I would definately wear!! I had to chuckle at your comment about having the pink flower shirt in a bunch of colors cuz I also ordered it in white AND black:D

TNGALOHA: That pink flower shirt seems to be a favorite so far :) I also like the tiered one as those types of shirts work well in hiding muffin tops ;) but we shall see which one I prefer. Since I also ordered the flower one in white and black I might be able to mix and match. I really like your bright pink formal. Can you tell that I am partial to that color, lol. I also like your rich blue sleeveless formal. You will be will be rockin' in the fashion department for your trip with all your beautiful choices!!

Hi Indiana: hope you had a great time in Las Vegas! Never been there, but hope to in the future. Maybe they need to put it on the cruise route?

To all: thanks for the suggestions for our girlfriends" crise in Nov. to Bermuda from Baltimore. I do plan in lots of layers. Buying a few basics on a new color (aquamarine) for me lets me add a few new things while incorporating the old standards- black, tan, old jewelry. I will take one bathing suit- for the solarium, with a coverup. What to wear sailing out of B-more is a problem- I'd not like to take a heavy coat, but I love to be on deck for the sail under the bridge! any suggestions?

Also, what do you wear ith your formal clothes on cool nights on the ship?