Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

On another thread in Fashion and Beauty, a poster asked what she should do to prepare for a cruise in 6 months.

We can change alot about ourselves in that amount of time. I, for one, am making a list: 1. Grow into a hair style that I LOVE and is easy to care for. 2. Be able to climb all the stairs onboard without feeling winded.

Both should be easily achieved...I'm going to a new stylist in a week and will make every effort to be clear on what I want for color and style. (I have taken pictures with me, but so far haven't had good luck getting what I want). A few inches longer, shaggy bangs shouldn't be unattainable.

Working out is NOT my favorite thing, but I like dancing. DH is putting together 30 minutes of oldies that will get me up and moving - enough to firm up some flab and give me more stamina.

What about you? Do you have goals set before cruising?

On another thread in Fashion and Beauty, a poster asked what she should do to prepare for a cruise in 6 months.

We can change alot about ourselves in that amount of time. I, for one, am making a list: 1. Grow into a hair style that I LOVE and is easy to care for. 2. Be able to climb all the stairs onboard without feeling winded.

Both should be easily achieved...I'm going to a new stylist in a week and will make every effort to be clear on what I want for color and style. (I have taken pictures with me, but so far haven't had good luck getting what I want). A few inches longer, shaggy bangs shouldn't be unattainable.

Working out is NOT my favorite thing, but I like dancing. DH is putting together 30 minutes of oldies that will get me up and moving - enough to firm up some flab and give me more stamina.

moets sister: Screen names are fascinating! Most have a perfectly sensible reason for their existence. I like yours (even though it has nothing to do with champagne)!

Love this thread. We are sailing in about 7 months and 3 of us are trying to loose 1 pound a week. We are going to try and encourage each other. I too are looking for a new hair style. Have gotten 3 pairs of shoes and 2 new dresses, all on sale. As for exercise, I like "Just Dance" on the Wii. I'm a awful dancer, but it's fun.

Linda

Yes, I plan my wardrobe from the travel outfit to the returning to Dallas, Texas wardrobe. I already did a trial packing 3 weeks prior to our cruise in September on the Princess Cruise Line: Carribean Princess. I also have things folded in tissue paper, planned outfits, planned shoes, stoles, sweaters, jogging suits, tops etc. I take pictures out of magazines for the hairstylist to follow to do my hair on board , am bringing book markers so I can help my sister market her new book (she's a writer). I even wrote standard packing lists so that we do not forget anything. We bring a nightlight because I hate walking around a strange room at night, an umbrella, room spray, our very own laundary bag from the dollar store, rain gear from the dollar store, purses which long straps so I can hold onto my personal stuff in various sizes for various events, hats to match each outfit, stoles to match each dress. Yup, I bring all that stuff. Course, my husband and I had to go all the way home from the airport one time because he left his carry on bag in our house. He had all the essentials in it. That's what we get for planning a 7 am flight and talking to the driver all the way to the airport about some football game or something....

Back to the detailed planning. I was shooting for fitting everything in one medium size suitcase and 1 rolling carry on and then after doing the 2nd trial packing I realized that I will need a bigger suitcase. Not to worry. We have a stack of suitcases in the garage. My favorite one had a broken zipper so my husband took it to a baggage repair and guess what? The shoemaker fixed it for no charge. We have a lot of very nice people in Dallas, Texas. My friend Lynn is coming on Tuesday to help me figure out what I need to delete and what to include....I need another opinion and she just got back from Canada a week ago.

We are going to New England & Canada on the Carribean Princess. We are platinum on Carnival so we are going to miss a lot of perks, however, we liked the Carribean Princess' itinerary to New England & Canada better. Have fun on your cruises! I'm sure we'll look and feel fantastic. as long as there isn't another hurricane.

Edited by Fiftiesareus
typos

What about you? Do you have goals set before cruising?[/color]

Lurker here...joining in!

After having my next cruise planned 20 months in advance...I can honestly say YES! I set MAJOR goals before cruising! Mine were all related to health and fitness...and without hi-jacking the thread to talk about THAT...I can say that with only 7 months to go until cruise time...I have made tremendous progress toward my goals. Because of end of the season sales...I am trying to purchase some cruise-worthy/appropriate clothing as I have literally shrunk out of the majority of my wardrobe.

My current goals...

1. To continue to lose weight and inches as I creep toward what I hope will be a total weight loss of 60-70 pounds...

2. To plan my cruise wardrobe NOW, trying to find clothing items that will still work through more weight loss...

3. To have the wardrobe planned so that, in the event that certain clothing items need tailoring or replacing, I will be prepared to do so.

My wardrobe planning could be best described as "minimalist" because I have had to learn to function with as few items as possible because I have been on a losing trend for about one year now. And I have a limited budget. I was turned onto this blog and have found serious inspiration there. I have come up with the basis for a whole formula of what I will need clothing-wise for my cruise...based on a mix-and-match philosophy, which is very easy for me because I also subscribe to CJW's color analysis and have been dressing in "my colors" now for about 18 months.

I guess I could add the following goal...

4. ACCESSORIZE!!! ;)

This thread has been inspirational in that way for me...I know that once I figure out my basic wardrobe...I will have so much FUN figuring out the accessories that will add interest to each outfit I create...and planning my outfits will help me to not repeat an exact outfit while on board. And I will have the next several months to collect these accessorizes...

Lurker here...joining in!

After having my next cruise planned 20 months in advance...I can honestly say YES! I set MAJOR goals before cruising! Mine were all related to health and fitness...and without hi-jacking the thread to talk about THAT...I can say that with only 7 months to go until cruise time...I have made tremendous progress toward my goals. Because of end of the season sales...I am trying to purchase some cruise-worthy/appropriate clothing as I have literally shrunk out of the majority of my wardrobe.

My current goals...

1. To continue to lose weight and inches as I creep toward what I hope will be a total weight loss of 60-70 pounds...

2. To plan my cruise wardrobe NOW, trying to find clothing items that will still work through more weight loss...

3. To have the wardrobe planned so that, in the event that certain clothing items need tailoring or replacing, I will be prepared to do so.

My wardrobe planning could be best described as "minimalist" because I have had to learn to function with as few items as possible because I have been on a losing trend for about one year now. And I have a limited budget. I was turned onto this blog and have found serious inspiration there. I have come up with the basis for a whole formula of what I will need clothing-wise for my cruise...based on a mix-and-match philosophy, which is very easy for me because I also subscribe to CJW's color analysis and have been dressing in "my colors" now for about 18 months.

I guess I could add the following goal...

4. ACCESSORIZE!!! ;)

This thread has been inspirational in that way for me...I know that once I figure out my basic wardrobe...I will have so much FUN figuring out the accessories that will add interest to each outfit I create...and planning my outfits will help me to not repeat an exact outfit while on board. And I will have the next several months to collect these accessorizes...

Hi Anita...

I've been lurking on your Earth thread, and even though I'm sure I don't fall into that color category it's been interesting to see how all clothes and accessories come together since they fall into the same palette. Thanks for the blog, I saw that on your thread and it's great! I'll be using the color scheme to pack for a 16 day cruise next year.

Congrats on the weight loss! So very hard but worth it in every way.

Everyone who comes to this thread gives inspiration for cruising wardrobe suggestions, packing suggestions and a myriad of other helpful ideas!

Pennyscandy: Setting a weight loss goal of 1 pound per week is very smart and attainable. I can tell you from personal experience that feeling good and being healthy is the best reward for all the effort. Keep us posted.

Fiftiesareus: Another Fashionista checks in! I smiled at every word in your post:). And what a great idea to invite a friend to give you an opinion on what you are packing.

Another Good Idea: taking a piece of luggage to a shoemaker for zipper repair! I've taken purses with too long a strap but will keep in mind that luggage might be fixable, too.

Anita Latte: First of all - I LOVE your screen name;)!

Kudos to you for taking care of yourself by diligently working on a weight loss goal. Come back to keep us posted as you continue.

One of the (many) reasons I love cruising is to keep my weight where all my Cruise Clothes fit perfectly:cool:.

You are the Fashionista! I have saile with you, and you are "put together" every day. Besides, you love talking about it until the day you sailed, Nancy! I loved reading your advice. I am sailing on the Enchantment with 3 girlfriends 11/12- cannot get a single person to respond to my thread. I enjoyed your company- and your fashion sense!

Linda

yes i do but its not as Awe-Inspiring or a Fantastic Feat as loosing weight...CONGRATS & APPLAUSE to all of YOU that achieve this goal!!!

mine is to NOT buy any more dresses for my cruises because i have so many to choose from already--but alas i dont achieve that goal and i keep buying ones that i think i NEED...just purchased another--i really am gonna try harder next year...i HOPE!!

@Jen...Thank you! Dressing based on a color palette has been remarkably helpful. The weight loss has been a great excuse for shopping and knowing my colors has been beyond helpful for building a wardrobe. I just posted my first run at putting together my cruise wardrobe on the EARTH thread. 15 articles of clothing, not including swim suits and coverups. I may still make changes, but otherwise, it's time for planning outfits with shoes and other accessories. I'll continue to post there as I figure it all out.

@Indiana71...I wish I could take creative credit for my screen name, but I saw it on a character that someone created on an online game I used to play with my DS and I swore that if ever I needed a name, I would use it. :p

So, like I just stated, I have figured out my cruise wardrobe and posted it on the EARTH thread. Especially if people read both, I don't want to repeat myself here, so if you are interested go here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1370827&page=5

The most recent discussion on there is talking about a capsule wardrobe. I have figured out 15 items of clothing:

Dresses (3)...formal, smart casual, casual

Bottoms (4)...travel/casual, casual MDR worthy (2), casual

Shirts (6)...casual MDR worthy (4), casual (2)

Overlayer (1)

Underlayer (1)...necessary with my sundress

DH was laughing that it's a good thing that I have myself figured out because now I have to figure out HIS and DS's cruise clothes. LOL.

Edited by Anita Latte

mine is to NOT buy any more dresses for my cruises because i have so many to choose from already--but alas i dont achieve that goal and i keep buying ones that i think i NEED...just purchased another--i really am gonna try harder next year...i HOPE!!

This what my goal should be. I have dresses with tags on them, and only seem to wear them once...really not good!:o Of course I'm going to a charity event to buy donated dresses....ok, goal will start next Monday.:p

I have all of my clothes in my spare bedroom sorted by outfit. I also love shoes, so it is very hard for me to downsize that portion of my wardrobe. I usually end up bringing 2 flip flops (bronze and black), 3 sandals (brown, black, white), and 2 wedges (black and white).

These are just the outfits I've put together so far (no pics, sorry). We are going to be traveling for 10 days total including our 7-day cruise, so I have a few more outfits to pick out.

Black sateen cuffed shorts + silk sleeveless multi-color U-neck top + black wedges (or purple/black sequin sleeveless top)

White sateen cuffed shorts + red one-shoulder top + white wedges (or yellow lace tank)

Dark rinse denim shorts (dressier) + fuschia sleeveless top + black wedges (or draped teal sleeveless top)

Fuschia ruffle tiered skirt + strapless black top + black wedges or sandals

Purple twirly-style skirt + lilac tank + black or silver sandals

Blue twirly-style skirt + white lace tank + white sandals

You sound exactly like me...i have an excel spreadsheet which details every aspect of each day's outfit, from shoes to swimwear...

I think it both de-stresses vacationing and is fun to prepare!

cardamom: So pleased to see your post:)! It was fun cruising with you...sorry to hear there isn't much activity on your Enchantment thread. But I AM envious that you are cruising soon and w/ some girlfriends. Sounds like a good time!

starfish*4 and 3dogmom: I'm with you on the shopping thing...since weather wasn't good for boating today, I went shopping...got a halter dress (on sale at Macy's) and a top (on sale at Coldwater Creek) that will go with shorts/Capris and my gold sandals...didn't need either item but...:eek:

Anita Latte: Wow - only 15 items of clothing! I could NEVER pack with a limit of 15. I know for some cruisers, it's important to pack light.

One of the nice percs of not flying is there's no limit on luggage. I believe it's important to plan each outfit in advance and not overpack. Two outfits per day is my general rule and rarely is a garment worn twice. That's what works for me.

Anita Latte: Wow - only 15 items of clothing! I could NEVER pack with a limit of 15. I know for some cruisers, it's important to pack light.

One of the nice percs of not flying is there's no limit on luggage. I believe it's important to plan each outfit in advance and not overpack. Two outfits per day is my general rule and rarely is a garment worn twice. That's what works for me.

I am not flying either. Fortunately, it's a relatively short drive to the cruise terminal from my home. BUT, I have been in the process of learning to live with less, especially with all the weight loss. For instance, I currently have 3 pairs of shorts...they are all too big...BUT I can still make them work with belts and safety pins...these are my normal bottoms that I rotate through. When the weather was colder, which is hard for me to even REMEMBER, I rotated 3 pairs of jeans. So living with what some would think of as a limited wardrobe has become second nature to me now.

AND, between formal shoes, Zumba shoes, beach/poolside shoes, etc etc...I will probably be bringing at least 8-12 pairs of shoes...and some of those are space hogs (platform wedges).;) Not to mention all the accessories that I plan on bringing...:rolleyes:

rmbarber: I've never cruised on Princess and have never taken anything electrical on any cruise. Sorry I can't help with your question. BUT - that brings up another question to posters here - Do you take curling irons, hot rollers, etc.?

This is a big family weekend so my attention has been on planning, cooking, and getting ready. But next week...I'll be trying on outfits for Las Vegas and will post photos (Tues afternoon most likely). There's one item in particular that feedback would be appreciated...

Edited by indiana71

rmbarber: I've never cruised on Princess and have never taken anything electrical on any cruise. Sorry I can't help with your question. BUT - that brings up another question to posters here - Do you take curling irons, hot rollers, etc.?

I bring my hair dryer and flat iron. They are both travel size, and don't take up too much space. I don't usually fly to the cruise port, so I never worry about bringing too much of anything.:o However, next year will be a challenge flying to London for a TA back to Boston. I've already started a list and thought I was doing good until I came across Anita Latte's thread and discovered the 15 piece rule.:eek:

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that makes spreadsheets of my clothes for packing. I do it to make sure all days and events are covered and to see if I need to purchase anything else. My outfits sometimes change once on the ship but I know I have enough to make it through the cruise...

I don't pack until the night before but everything is staged long before that.

Spreadsheets! Wow, I am impressed. Are you, by any chance, an accountant?

You must be very organized.

15 items of clothing would be impossible for me. That's discipline!

Here's what I packed (with the help of my friend).

1. Dressy gown (My husband insisted on bringing his tux)

2. 3 pairs dress pants (if I could, I'd pull one out).

3. About 5 pairs shoes (1 dressy), mules in different heights. 1 is sort of waterproof)

4. Sleevelss jumpsuit for elegant night

5. Jeans & denim big shirt

6. Black juicy velour jog suit

7. Black Christine Alexander zip up front sweatshirt w/Svoroski crystals around hood

8. Black 1/4 sleeve Christine Alexander sweatshirt

9. Yoga Pants

10. 2 Bathing suits (they take forever to dry!)

11 I lightweight jacket

12. 1 thermal vest

13 3 sweaters (1 xtra warm, 1 lightweight)

14. At least 10 tops (we are spending 3 days in New Jersey/NewYork

15 1 hooded raincoat (black patent)

16 Warm scarf just in case we go on the whale wathing tour.

17 1 dress tea length (we are traveling with 2 other couples and they DRESS UP for 5 of the 7 dinners.

See you soon on the Carribean Princess 9/17/11 FIFTIESAREUS

Edited by Fiftiesareus

I love planning outfits and reading about all of your outfits. Going on first cruise in July to Med and already thinking about sensible shoes for excursions right through to dresses for formal nights. I just wondered how dressy people are for the formal nights. I have a few good evening dresses I have worn for balls in the past. Some beaded top, some sequins, is this the sort of thing that is acceptable? Appreciate the advice of seasoned cruisers. x

I believe that you can never go wrong with a cocktail dress or formal wear on formal night. On the formal night, if you are going to dine at a specific time (not the anytime dining), about 50 to 75% of the people dress up a litttle. I call it "elegantly casual". You will see glitz on ladies all over the ship anytime of the day on Carnival but I am not sure what you'll see on a Princess Cruise Line touring (conservative) New England & Canada. The first night and last night on a cruise is typically casual. The rest of the nights you'll see every thing from pants & tops to dresses. Bring something like a stole or jacket for the theatre and or the casino because they typically keep them freezing!

Fiftiesareus

I check this thread out to see your photos of outfits, Indiana71. So thank you for one of the more interesting threads.

I really dislike the unpacking, so I pack light. And all my outfits are on the hangers. This year we will be a week in Weston Florida, the 7 day cruise on HAL, and then a finale week in Davidson Florida. I will limit myself to my large suitcase, and only as many outfits fit in it on hangers.

I plan to make sure all clothes are clean and ready to rehang when I get back home to Michigan. We are driving to Florida, so I also will bring a plastic tote box with "condo" stuff. Mainly kitchen items, spices and some snacks. The plastic tote will stay in the car while on the cruise.

I put all the items needed for an outfit on the hanger, sometimes using a hanger that also has a skirt hanger attached to it. I even put little drawstring bags with the jewelery in it on the hanger.

While we were busy entertaining family over the weekend, y'all have been making interesting posts:)!

monn a: I'm pleased to welcome another Spreadsheet Fashionista! It's true that we might switch outfits to different days but KNOWING there's enough to make it through the cruise reduces any stress:cool:!

Fiftiesareus: Your term, "elegant casual" is the perfect definition for formal night (at least on RCI). And I agree that cocktail dresses are always right and who doesn't look good AND feel good in a great dress!!

Others who make spreadsheets might be accountants, but I'm the fartherest thing from "a numbers person":eek:. As a former secretary, I call them "charts", but most Fashionistas refer to all those little blocks filled with outfits as "spreadsheets".

SAN415: Wow! All your outfits on hangers...before you cruise. I pack hangers for skirts/Capris and special hangers to hold a top & bottom but only use a garment bag for a couple dresses and DH's sport coats.

Putting jewelry in little drawstring bags on the hanger is a great idea! I'll definitely think about that for the March cruise since we will be driving to the port.

TOMORROW: Trying on outfits for Las Vegas...hope to post a couple photos:cool:

Hi Indiana! and all other Fashionistas!

We are cruising on the Enchantment, from Baltimore, leaving 11/12, 5 nights, and I'm not sure what type of day wear we will need for Bermuda this time of year. Has anyone cruised during this time of year? Will I need a bathing suit for Bermuda or on board? Capris or shorts for touring in Bermuda? Lots of layers, sweaters, sweatshirts? Still OK to wear summer clothes even in Nov?

I have one cocktail dress packed for our one formal night, but plan to do "fun dressy casual" the other 4 nights. Just treated myself to a trip to Chicos- they make it so easy to buy clothes in coordinating colors! My friend picked the red-orange, which I normally love, so I went with the blue- and love the new "****take" color- kind of brown, goes with so much in the Chico pallet! I bought a blue silk shell- goes with the ****take and black pants, and multicolored sweaters, and a light weight blazer-wind breaker. The saleswoman did talk me into my first skirt I'd bought in a long time- animal print skirt with a dressy draped black shell (which I can wear with a lot!). I'm 64, but love dressing up, and looking good is still very important to me, even if I think women over 60 are invisible to most younger people.

Please give your suggestions for day wear on board and in Bermuda, and thanks for reading my little tirade on "invisible women who still like to look good without blue eye shadow".

Indiana,

I use a garment bag for my Husbands suit and will normally put a long gown in there with it. But for the rest of my clothes, they go on hangers.

What I do is put the whole outfit, undies, bra, a tank top, a sweater, a bottom, all on a hanger or two hangers hooked together. Then I will take a couple outfits and stack them on top of each other, then I sort of fold them in thirds, using the hangers as a guide. Then the bundle gets put in my suitcase. I do as many bundles as I need.

This year we will be in Florida for two weeks and a cruise for one week. I plan to bring 7 to 10 complete outfits. The condos will have washers and dryers. And when I have wore each outfit I reposition them in different groups and rehang them.

I even hang up my bathing suit and coverups along with a top and skirt that match them.

If I don't do it this way I bring to many pieces of clothes that I might need, and normally never wear.

My large samsonite suitcase has some inserts to use that makes it a garmet bag suitcase. But I took them out because I can get as much as I need in the suitcase on hangers the way I do it. And the clothes stay neater in bundles. Its the largest size that you can check on an airplane. I also have a smaller suitcase I use a lot bu can only fit 10 outfits in. The large bag lets me put all my photo equipment and photo bags in it. Even my tripod.