Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Hi, I found this thread last night and all my waking time has been spent reading it. I am only on page 28 and might have to give it a rest to eat.

Tom and I have only been on one cruise and our next is not for 647 days. Tom was in the military and we traveled for 26 years for that. I wanted to share a travel tip that I have used for many years.

When we change out of dirty clothes I lay the pants out fold the shirt and lay it on top add the underwear and socks and roll them tightly. This roll then fits in an empty suitcase. This way I make it home with all of our socks and nobody see our dirty underwear.

Indiana, thank you for starting this thread! I have enjoyed going on your trips with you and love your photos!

ChrisRoo: Thank you for the kind words. Keep reading, there's lots of good info here:).

I had to read twice to be sure your next cruise isn't for 647 days:eek:! Oh my, such a long time to wait!!!!

Thank you for the packing tip! We always leave one suitcase partially unzipped to use as a hamper. But when it's time to pack for the return trip - all the dirty clothes are one big jumble.

From now on we will follow your lead:cool:.

One Thing I Will Change on the Next Cruise: After trying several shades of lipstick, I settled on two bright pinks. They looked fine in my bathroom mirror that is surrounded by lights...but onboard the color was hardly noticeable. Next time I'm taking a brighter, more red color.

And Also - I resolve to take more photos! And to ask a fellow cruiser to take our photo, and return the favor:cool:! It's so easy to delete, there's no reason to NOT take lots.

QUESTION: Approximately how many photos do you take on a cruise? Are you (or your travel mates) in most of them?

WHEW! Just finished and loved it!

Tom and I went on an Alaskan cruise last September, and LOVED it. We took about 375 photos. I would do it again.

We are planning and booked for a 30th anniversery trip by land 8 days in Hawaii boarding Celebrity Solstice on the 28th of April for a 10 day cruise and ending with 3 days in San Diego. It is very hard for me to get the husband to take vacations so I have to plan ahead and make it as long as I can.

I thought I was an over planner but at least I am not the only one.

Geocruiser - Love the nails! Did you do them yourself? I have been looking into different designs and would love to try something like that for our next cruise. There are a lot of designs on pinterest that I thought would be neat. I love yours though, very pretty.

Chrisroo - I'm cruising in 182 days, but have a 2nd cruise planned for 665 days so I am right there with you. My husband wanted to go to Alaska, but I have been longing to go to the southern caribbean, and of course I won, but I had to plan an alaskan cruise as well :) so that's what the 665 day wait is for.

As far as pictures, on one cruise I took about 850, on another I dropped my camera on the beach and ruined it so lost a day of picture taking so ended up with much less. The funny thing is out of all those pictures I only ended up with about 100 that I liked. Thank goodness for digital cameras right!! I used to get 24 out of a roll and took maybe 2 or 3 rolls and never knew what I was getting! Now I can snap away with no worries! Love it!

Geocruiser - Love the nails! Did you do them yourself? I have been looking into different designs and would love to try something like that for our next cruise. There are a lot of designs on pinterest that I thought would be neat. I love yours though, very pretty.

Chrisroo - I'm cruising in 182 days, but have a 2nd cruise planned for 665 days so I am right there with you. My husband wanted to go to Alaska, but I have been longing to go to the southern caribbean, and of course I won, but I had to plan an alaskan cruise as well :) so that's what the 665 day wait is for.

As far as pictures, on one cruise I took about 850, on another I dropped my camera on the beach and ruined it so lost a day of picture taking so ended up with much less. The funny thing is out of all those pictures I only ended up with about 100 that I liked. Thank goodness for digital cameras right!! I used to get 24 out of a roll and took maybe 2 or 3 rolls and never knew what I was getting! Now I can snap away with no worries! Love it!

Sorry, they are not my toe nails. They belong to indiana71. I quoted her post and that posted the toe pic under my name.

smariba: Creative toenail art is not my strong point! I go to the Nail Salon at the local mall where the Oriental ladies are truly artistic:). I will check out pinterest for ideas for next time!

Talking about cameras - on our first cruise (11 cruises ago) we were the ONLY ones onboard with an Instamatic camera...or at least it seemed that way! I remember taking several rolls of film, too; and having no idea if the photos would be worth keeping.

As soon as we returned I bought my Canon digital. Even though it's several years old, it still takes good pix:cool:

Edited by indiana71

I take about 1000 - 1200 with my D70, and a couple of hundred with my coolpix.

Depending on the vacation, I might also use my underwater camera.

My husband takes about half as many as I do with his camera.

People, including H and I are probably in about a third of them.

I now realize that we simply don't take enough pictures! My 150 doesn't come close to what some of you take:eek:.

Next Cruise...more photos (keeping in mind that unsatisfactory shots can be quickly deleted!)

We didn't know (didn't see/read the sign) that photos can't be taken in the area where ship photos are displayed...oops!!

After the nice lady told us "No photos, please!" DH put the camera away.

I'm almost always chilly after dinner so the nice sun dresses, etc. come off and clothing with more coverage goes on. These are the Ralph Lauren knit pants I wore on our first cruise. The top was purchased several cruise ago on RCI Explorer. And the clutch (same one in a previous photo) is from my honeymoon.

232323232%7Ffp%3B47%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3565%3B59674335nu0mrj

:)[quote name='ChrisRoo']Hi, I found this thread last night and all my waking time has been spent reading it. I am only on page 28 and might have to give it a rest to eat.
Tom and I have only been on one cruise and our next is not for 647 days. Tom was in the military and we traveled for 26 years for that. I wanted to share a travel tip that I have used for many years.
When we change out of dirty clothes I lay the pants out fold the shirt and lay it on top add the underwear and socks and roll them tightly. This roll then fits in an empty suitcase. This way I make it home with all of our socks and nobody see our dirty underwear.
Indiana, thank you for starting this thread! I have enjoyed going on your trips with you and love your photos![/QUOTE]

ChrisRoo, you are so right, I found this thread last week and am catching up as fast as I can. Love fashion, one of the most important parts of any vacation is the fashion, if I do say so myself. You girls have made this extra exciting for me. I've been on many of cruise's never found a good fashion thread like this!!! This will be first time on NCL's Gem 1/9/13. Our first cruise was on Norwegian Sea in, after that mostly on Carnival!!!! They all had formal nights. I'm not sure about this cruise but I love dressing up. Does anyone know the protocol ???? And is anyone going on my next cruise??? Thank you for this starting this thread, can't wait to read more!!!:)

[quote name='BeCruzin']:)

ChrisRoo, you are so right, I found this thread last week and am catching up as fast as I can. Love fashion, one of the most important parts of any vacation is the fashion, if I do say so myself. You girls have made this extra exciting for me. I've been on many of cruise's never found a good fashion thread like this!!! This will be first time on NCL's Gem 1/9/13. Our first cruise was on Norwegian Sea in, after that mostly on Carnival!!!! They all had formal nights. I'm not sure about this cruise but I love dressing up. Does anyone know the protocol ???? And is anyone going on my next cruise??? Thank you for this starting this thread, can't wait to read more!!!:)[/QUOTE]

This thread is so very good. Lots ot tips on fashion and how to plan. Good planning for me means less packing. Having each day planned out saves time while dressing each day on board.

I don't go on my next cruise until February. I have each night's dinner dress purchased and accessorized. I have my daytime outfits partially planned. We are suffering from heat and lack of rain here in Central New York, but winter will be here before you know it. Right around the end of August, I won't be able to find anything summery so if I need to purchase something, now is the time. I absolutely love the process of planning!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]BeCruzin[/U]: Welcome to CCF! Thank you for the positive comments:). I have only sailed on Royal Caribbean, so don't know the protocol for formal nights on other lines.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Keep in mind this quote from a friend, "There's nothing wrong with being the best dressed!" If you want to dress up (whatever your definition is), go for it! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]laurspag[/U]: You are so right:eek:. End-of-Season sales have been going on since July 4...so if you want cruise-worthy clothes and/or accessories, this is the time.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Back-to-school and fall clothes are now filling the stores, catalogs and on-line shopping:confused:. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Our Next Cruise is in February and when I start packing (first week in January), there won't be any sandals, swimsuits or summer dresses available.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Fall clothes out already!!!? Oh no!
This just occured to me over the weekend. We are cruising the 12th of January so I'm going to have to get shopping now! I'm away on business this week, but as soon as I get back it's off to soak up the summer sales! I was going to wait until august, but you ladies are right, it will be all long sleeves and parkas :eek: Yuck!
Though I"m not complaining to have to go shopping now. Haha. 6 months is a long wait, so a little shopping will help ease the wait a bit. It's my husband who needs most of the clothes, but that can be fun too. He is a jeans, t-shirt and baseball cap kindof guy so this will be a bit of a challenge!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]smariba[/U]: Many of the posters here say their DH likes to dress in a VERY casual way...and we would prefer they wear a [I]little more[/I] cruise-appropriate attire.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]My DH is comfortable wearing the same 4 pairs of shorts and the same 3 pairs of Docker pants that he wears All Summer. Nothing wrong with that I suppose...but...going on vacation is special and IMHO, deserves a couple additions to the wardrobe.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I buy him a few new things, wrap them in brightly colored paper and give them as gifts a few weeks before a Cruise. He's been pleased because I don't vary much from his favorite style or color.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]For example, he wanted to wear his navy sport jacket and khaki Dockers for one of the formal nights, so I gave him a pink dress shirt, a pink and navy patterned tie and a pink pocket square. He really liked them and will be able to wear the combination again. We were both happy![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]QUESTION: Has your DH changed out some of his t-shirts, etc. for clothes that you have suggested? Do you help him pack/completely pack for him? Does DH pack for himself without any imput/help from you?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by indiana71

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]smariba[/U]: Many of the posters here say their DH likes to dress in a VERY casual way...and we would prefer they wear a [I]little more[/I] cruise-appropriate attire.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]My DH is comfortable wearing the same 4 pairs of shorts and the same 3 pairs of Docker pants that he wears All Summer. Nothing wrong with that I suppose...but...going on vacation is special and IMHO, deserves a couple additions to the wardrobe.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I buy him a few new things, wrap them in brightly colored paper and give them as gifts a few weeks before a Cruise. He's been pleased because I don't vary much from his favorite style or color.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]For example, he wanted to wear his navy sport jacket and khaki Dockers for one of the formal nights, so I gave him a pink dress shirt, a pink and navy patterned tie and a pink pocket square. He really liked them and will be able to wear the combination again. We were both happy![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]QUESTION: Has your DH changed out some of his t-shirts, etc. for clothes that you have suggested? Do you help him pack/completely pack for him? Does DH pack for himself without any imput/help from you?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I guess I have it easy when it comes to my husband picking out his clothes. He does not do it. I shop and pick out all his clothes (except suits, he has to try them on). During the day onboard he will wear nice shorts or dockers and a printed golf type shirt. Most of his shirts hav a floral pattern. At night he will wear pants and a botton down Hawaiian style shirt. On formal night it is a tux. Last spring he even had me buy his sandles! Therefore, I am the chief of the packing.

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]smariba[/U]: Many of the posters here say their DH likes to dress in a VERY casual way...and we would prefer they wear a [I]little more[/I] cruise-appropriate attire.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]QUESTION: Has your DH changed out some of his t-shirts, etc. for clothes that you have suggested? Do you help him pack/completely pack for him? Does DH pack for himself without any imput/help from you?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I do all of the shopping and packing. He does have certain things that he loves to wear and I try to stick to his style. He has done well transitioning to what I want him to wear. Haha. He does come with me and give me his opinions, and he also is letting me get him some sandals so I'm pretty excited about that. We've only been married a year, so it's a process i guess! So far so good! I'm not sure I'll ever see him in a tux though.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I'm making a bold statement here: The vast majority of CCF's DH's look quite presentable, if not downright cruise-appropriate, when onboard:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Next year, on our Family Cruise, DH and our 2 DS's will be wearing tuxes on formal night. The 2 grandsons (ages 6 & 7) will be looking good, too. DDL's and granddaughters (ages 8 & 9) are already excited about formal night:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]What a perfect opportunity for a Family Photo![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]And that brings up another QUESTION: Do you usually have the cruise photographer take your photo on formal night? Do you buy it?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by indiana71

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I'm making a bold statement here: The vast majority of CCF's DH's look quite presentable, if not downright cruise-appropriate, when onboard:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Next year, on our Family Cruise, DH and our 2 DS's will be wearing tuxes on formal night. The 2 grandsons (ages 6 & 7) will be looking good, too. DDL's and granddaughters (ages 8 & 9) are already excited about formal night:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]What a perfect opportunity for a Family Photo![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]And that brings up another QUESTION: Do you usually have the cruise photographer take your photo on formal night? Do you buy it?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
We usually take formal night photos, don't always buy them. It kind of depends on the cruise, whether I have a super cute new dress :) or if we are traveling with others. When our daughter has been on staff they get a really good discount on photos so we are more likely to buy them.

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I'm making a bold statement here: The vast majority of CCF's DH's look quite presentable, if not downright cruise-appropriate, when onboard:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]And that brings up another QUESTION: Do you usually have the cruise photographer take your photo on formal night? Do you buy it?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Once in a blue moon do we have our picture taken and /or buy it.

We almost always get our pics taken but don't always buy them.
Sometimes it is really hard for the photographer to get both of us in good form.
I enjoy watching the family groups getting their pictures taken. They always
look like they are having such a great time and the photographers seemed to enjoy it too.

My husband takes almost as many clothes as me but not as many shoes LOL!! He has clean shorts/t shirts every day, he also takes a suit and a tuxedo, several shirts and ties, and at least three other pairs of trousers. He also has some nice short sleeve shirts and khakis.

We usually buy a selection of photos, but only is we like them, we bought 10 from the last cruise.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]And that brings up another QUESTION: Do you usually have the cruise photographer take your photo on formal night? Do you buy it?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I always get my picture taken by the photographer! It's one of the perks of cruising I think. I don't always buy, but on one cruise, there was a photographer in particular that was amazing. He took a lot of time posing us and obviously spent a lot of time edited. The pictures were airbrushed and looked flawless. I bought 3 of his and ended up looking for him the rest of the cruise. I'm not sure about the other cruises. But carnival has photogs every night not just formal nights. I'm setting aside $150 for pics this cruise. I know its a lot but its rare my husband and I have pics together, its usually i take his pic, he takes mine. I do occasionally photoshop the 2 together but its not the same!!

Am enjoying all the posts! My issue is the opposite of most of you, my husband is the clothes horse in the family. 3 outfits per day minimum, plus a "just in case" backup:D We just got back from a 12 day Italy vacation, I had my carry on and l check in, he had carry on and 2 check ins. Went shopping in Italy and he shipped back 4 boxes. LOL

Debbi

[quote name='smariba']I always get my picture taken by the photographer! It's one of the perks of cruising I think. I don't always buy, but on one cruise, there was a photographer in particular that was amazing. He took a lot of time posing us and obviously spent a lot of time edited. The pictures were airbrushed and looked flawless. I bought 3 of his and ended up looking for him the rest of the cruise. I'm not sure about the other cruises. But carnival has photogs every night not just formal nights. I'm setting aside $150 for pics this cruise. I know its a lot but its rare my husband and I have pics together, its usually i take his pic, he takes mine. I do occasionally photoshop the 2 together but its not the same!![/QUOTE]

What cruise line are you going on? I just read on John Healds Facebook that on Carnival you can get all your pics in a USB for $50! If you want to buy alot anyway, that's a great deal.