Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

After reading about swimsuit sales, I got to thinking about which style we prefer. Momtoabowhead stated that she likes takinis.

I agree that they are the most practical...but it's hard for me to find a bottom & top that I like. So 5 of mine are one-piece and I have a black bottom that can be worn w/ 2 different swim tops. Since many photos have been posted, you know my age and body type.

Cover-Ups: I have a Juicy Couture black long-sleeve, hooded, short cover-up and a Tommy Hilfiger light blue, short-sleeve, short cover-up. My favorite cover-up is a knit pull-on short dress that's black with a print of different kinds of cocktails that came from Target's sleepwear dept.

QUESTION: What's your preference: bikini, tankini, 1-piece?

Does age matter? Do you buy for your body type and/or what you like?

Do you always have a cover-up?

Edited by indiana71

Glad you are back. I am sure you were stlin' even while working on deck!!!

I like to wear two pieces even at 60,but like to wear tankinis too. Guess it is time to give up those two pieces, but just let me hold on at least one more year:) I have a light blue cover up I bought on RCL TransAtlantic for a good deal and a bright coral one I got Walmart last week when I went for cards(go figure). Going to Target today for some last minute things and may just have to look at suits.I also like the black bottom theory. BTW, suitcases are officially down!!!!

QUESTION: What's your preference: bikini, tankini, 1-piece?

Does age matter? Do you buy for your body type and/or what you like?

Do you always have a cover-up?

Age doesn't matter in my opinion. If you look great in a bikini, go for it! My preference is a 1-piece as I buy for my body type and always have a long-sleeve cover-up with me.

Age doesn't matter in my opinion. If you look great in a bikini, go for it! My preference is a 1-piece as I buy for my body type and always have a long-sleeve cover-up with me.

I agree! I'm 51 and still wear bikinis, although I don't think I look as good in them as I used to. I'm pretty tiny, but have noticed in the past few years my skin not being as taut as it used to be. Bugs the crap out of me because I know there really isn't anything I can do about it, it isn't a weight issue, it's just an age/skin issue. I've thought about going to a one-piece, but just can't seem to find one that is flattering on me. I'm kind of long bodied, so if I get one that fits my girth, it tends to not fit well at the waist, leaving me looking thicker and heavier than I am. Similar thing with a tankini, if the top fits me through the rib cage, then it seems like it is too short and I feel like I am being squished out the middle in between my bottoms and the bottom of the top. But if I get a bigger size, then it's loose and unflattering. I just feel better in a bikini. I say wear what makes YOU feel attractive!

Me in January 2012 on St. Thomas:

IMG_0741b.jpg

Sorry - I tried to re-size this but I guess I didn't do it right!

Edited by centralcalicruzer

centralcalicruzer and plank: Wow! You look great in your swimsuits! Thanks for posting the photos:).

Proves that if you feel good, you will look good:cool:. You are an inspiration to many women who are reluctant to show some skin.

My body issues are very similar to many 50-60 year olds. Weight isn't a problem...but skin is not as tight as it used to be:eek:.

If it's something we can't do anything about, a CCF accepts the aging process and moves onicon14.gif.

Edited by indiana71

Hey cruisers! Just thought I would share some of the outfits/dresses/shoes I will be taking on my first cruise this July! I have alot of clothes I am taking, but not too many. Here are some pics, let me know what you think!

236282329_cruiseclothes001.jpg.ea2cb9ea0088d5d35bae96987a532974.jpg

1764302322_cruiseclothes002.jpg.1c42321924d9e12b5e09a935bedf6567.jpg

339867486_cruiseclothes006.jpg.b0402d8ca3ec738a9538cfab1c08fd79.jpg

691384598_cruiseclothes003.jpg.b13c7dcdead130029067980cf86b59c3.jpg

270313870_cruiseclothes004.jpg.806b9f8519df585f7c8e871df8443789.jpg

2104763449_cruiseclothes007.jpg.79ed5ac44265a6541af6bbc380637c43.jpg

1007328462_cruiseclothes008.jpg.ab9fc087d9238b2db063697e9ebc9b16.jpg

474647482_cruiseclothes009.jpg.58b7ebc6ae69762b2edbcbce301fc1f5.jpg

21216147_cruiseclothes010.jpg.7057db62593ac4444be05cc1271c6bf1.jpg

214932416_cruiseclothes011.jpg.5695439898ae5a56df40da854d2e5004.jpg

Hey cruisers! Just thought I would share some of the outfits/dresses/shoes I will be taking on my first cruise this July! I have alot of clothes I am taking, but not too many. Here are some pics, let me know what you think!

I just love your outfits. They are all so pretty.

Thank you! I think I'm going a little over board on the amount of clothes though lol!

It is your first cruise, so enjoy taking what you want. There is nothing like your first cruise. Mine was 1976 or 77 on SS Oceanic. We wore lots of gowns back then. I brought three suitcases just for me!

While applying lipstick today, I realized that my summer make-up varies somewhat from winter.

We might all have a little (or a lot) of tan and change foundation color, but the lipstick I pulled out was more plum and it didn't feel right. Summer shades I like are dark pinks, Clinique Chubby Stick Watermelon, etc. And my blush is rosier.

Eye make-up doesn't change - a bit of Lancome plum eye shadow for contouring, Violet-Black Smashbox eyeliner and various brands of black mascara.

Even shower soap changes - mint and citrus in the summer; vanilla, spice in winter. Moisturizer never changes - always an SPF 20 EVERY day.

QUESTION: What about you? Do you switch out cosmetic colors with the seasons? Do you wear less makeup in summer?

Edited by indiana71

While applying lipstick today, I realized that my summer make-up varies somewhat from winter.

We might all have a little (or a lot) of tan and change foundation color, but the lipstick I pulled out was more plum and it didn't feel right. Summer shades I like are dark pinks, Clinique Chubby Stick Watermelon, etc. And my blush is rosier.

Eye make-up doesn't change - a bit of Lancome plum eye shadow for contouring, Violet-Black Smashbox eyeliner and various brands of black mascara.

Even shower soap changes - mint and citrus in the summer; vanilla, spice in winter. Moisturizer never changes - always an SPF 20 EVERY day.

QUESTION: What about you? Do you switch out cosmetic colors with the seasons? Do you wear less makeup in summer?

I use the same. Which is hardly nothing. Most times I wea rno makeup. I love clothers with color but don't wear much in the way of makeup.

Edited by geocruiser

Here are some photos from our recent Alaskan Cruise. I tried to put together some layered looks that were at least a little colorful and co-ordinated:

For our Whale watching excursion I wore cargo pants from Eddie Bauer, a t shirt, a sweatshirt, and this coat from REI. Oh and hiking boots. I was warm and dry

545272_334203076654717_1688767614_n.jpg

For our Skagway excursion we chose to rent a car and drive up the Klondike Highway to Emrald Lake.

I wore another pair of cargo pants from Eddie Bauer, a tshirt, and this sweatshirt that I bought in Pike Place market.

196106_334210053320686_1074926002_n.jpg

For the glacier viewing (we didn't leave the ship for this), I was told that this would be the coldest weather and it was, plus we were up at 4.30am to photograph the appraoch to the glacier.

I chose yet another pair of cargo pants from Eddie Bauer, this time in grey, I wore a longsleeved grey & white striped t shirt from Ralph Lauren, then a sweatshirt (very thin but warm for layering) topped with a quilted vest (both also from Eddie Bauer). I also had my coat from REI for when I went out on deck to take photos.

229898_334210226654002_376866486_n.jpg

This is what I wore for formal night

246483_334211329987225_1538829905_n.jpg

I love this dress, and it is such a great color for you! And you look great in all your other photos too. I've never done a cold weather cruise, but have recently vacationed in Japan and Washington, D.C. in the late fall, so I totally get needing to pack to be warm but yet not wanting to be wearing the same thing in every photo!

Jsim2011: First - you look fabulous in the Formal Night photo! The dress appears to be easy-to-pack fabric and is very classy, great line and color.

DH would love to cruise Alaska...and I have been reluctant to spend $$$$ and have to wear the same winter clothes that are worn during the long winters at home...but...maybe a couple new pairs of pants and some sweaters could persuade me....

Thanks for posting photos. They are great and you are showing us that a CCF can look stylish anywhere:).

Indiana, don't wait another minute, book that Alaskan cruise. I was very reluctant too as I like to vaction in warm places. The scenery is worth it though. I will be posting photos in other threads of some of the things we saw.

I will post more about the experince later.

Indiana: I do wear less make up in summer unless going somewhere...don't want to scare people:) I like Almay products. I don't wear lipstick because hubby doesn't like to kiss it:), but do try to wear some gloss. That is my last thing to check on today. My last two days before vacay have gotten busy with other obligations since some friends have come from Montana and I am subbing for Bunco(hope to win some money). Bought another Tankini top(DD talked me into) yesterday...gotta pack.

As far as Alaska, this was my fav land and cruise EVER!!! We have done Med, Baltics, Hawaii,Mex. Riviera, and Carib. many times, but nothing compares to the beauty of Alaska. It was darkish and drizzly and we never even noticed. Vancouver was hot and fun too! We spent 18 days between renting a car, then doing land tour, and then cruising.Can't wait to go back some day!