Visa info for port morseby png

wwjd1947

Confused! Do we need a visa if we do not get off the ship in Port Morseby.

I have read conflicting information. On a PNG tourist site it says we need a "seamans pass" if we do not exit the terminal. From what I read a visa costs around $38 per person. Seems crazy to pay $76 per couple if we don't get off the ship in a country that everyone says is not safe. Wondering why RCCL even stops there!

Hi - we went to PNG on a cruise in 2009 - it was on Princess and they arranged the Visas - at that time you needed to have a visa, even if you weren't planning on getting off the ship. Given all the aid Australia gives to PNG it seems like a ripoff, however that's there rules

Why are you saying that PNG is an unsafe area? Ive not ever heard of that. My mum is going alone - she's 81 and quite fit and young for her age I might add - on what I presume you are going on the Royal Caribean 17/2/11? She picked this cruise because my late dad worked for Shell at Port morseby and she wanted to see the area. He was also in the war around this area as well.

Her travel agent has not said its unsafe and I doubt the cruise ships would stop there as they also have shore tours you are able to book here.:confused:

Liz

Confused! Do we need a visa if we do not get off the ship in Port Morseby.

I have read conflicting information. On a PNG tourist site it says we need a "seamans pass" if we do not exit the terminal. From what I read a visa costs around $38 per person. Seems crazy to pay $76 per couple if we don't get off the ship in a country that everyone says is not safe. Wondering why RCCL even stops there!

we did a cruise to PNG late 2009 and everyone had to have a visa, it cost us approx $45 each and was charged to your card....we did a half day private tour and it was ok, not dangerous so go off and enjoy yourself

Hi, for what its worth my TA phoned the cruiseline who confirmed that a Visa was required, but they will arrange them for us on board at a cost of $us50. It was suggested that we bring a spare passport photo with us.

There are areas that could be unsafe but mostly it is OK where the ships dock and give tours. When last there I organised a prvate tour and this was excellent MUCH better than that organised tours by RCI We had a qualified guide the ships tour had 6th formers from school practicing.

We had a bathroom stop at the airport The ships tours did not have a bathroom stop at all We also had air conditioning and water on board and the ships buses did not. Of course if enough people complained to the tour office these things may have been changed by now.

We had time at the Australian cemetery but the ships tours did not.

The price was better as well If you are interested I will try and fidnd my contact list for you:eek:

Visited Rabaul in 2009... $40 visa fee arranged and paid for onboard, this applies even if you are not going ashore. A pasport photo was required. Yes, it is a 100% ripoff by PNG govt.

Join a roll call for your cruise and you will usually find someone there has up to date information.

You can obtain a visa prior to your trip which did require sending your passport to Canberra etc but it is not worth the risk.

Rabaul was very safe but I have heard that Port Moresby is not the safest. Just like a lot of ports always make sure of your surroundings and travel in a group where possible.

I would not take a travel agents opinion as I have found them to be often wrong. Do your own research ... google is your friend.

Archived