Seward to Anchorage

Yochell

Hi everyone! I just booked our 25th anniversary cruise!!!! I'm so excited!! We are doing the 7 day Alaska cruise - one way from Vancouver to Seward, 8/14/2011. My question is this: what is the best way to get from the cruise ship in Seward to the airport in Anchorage? Easier, cheaper to go by bus, train, rent a car? I appreciate all of you 'experts' and know there are many of you who have done this and can give me wonderful advice! Thanks in advance! :)

Until you have been to Alaska and seen the "lay of the land" this won't make sense, but trust me.

You only have two viable options: The HAL bus to Anchorage, or the Train Ride from the pier to Anchorage (again, book it through HAL).

There is one road from Seward to Anchorage. One. If you haven't already booked a rental car in Seward, they are probably all rented already. I believe there is only one rental agency in town. It's an interesting drive north to Anchorage, but the train ride is a lot of fun albeit a bit pricey. But the scenery is great, they slow down for wildlife, and the 4 hours goes quickly.

There is a local bus to Anchorage. One bus a day. In the afternoon from the Post Office. If you have a flight to catch this is not a good idea.

You can email me if you want more information than I dare put here and clog up the thread. eshellybell@comcast.net

My DW and I did the rental car - took a couple days to get to Anchorage - drove down the Kenai Penn. - spent the night in Homer - Next day stopped @ portage glacier - took the tram up to restaurant at Aleayska(sp) - Had dinner @ Club Paris in Anchorage and flew out the next day.

Just a couple of ideas - You only celebrate your 25th once.

We had arranged a hire car well before our cruise, then spent two nights in Seward so that we were able to spend time there, visit Exit Glacier and do a 10 hour Kenai Fjords National Park boat trip (Northwestern Fjord Tour) which was one of the highlights of our trip.

The drive to Anchorage is wonderful and gives you the flexibility to stop to admire the views! We spent two weeks driving round Alaska which was amazing, but we all agreed that the road between Seward and Anchorage was one of our favourites.

Enjoy celebrating your special Anniversary!

Sounds like you already have your plane fare booked.I agree take the train from Hal with airport transfer.As mentioned The Seward Highway to Anchorage is busy and since Alaska has one very short construction season that is summer,and if there is an accident you could be tied up in traffic for a long time

My vote is for the train! My second favorite sound to the horn on the ship when we leave port, is the choo-choo & whistle of the train. DH & I spent 10 days on the Alaskan RR many years ago, went to every stop & saw everything! Train rides were the best part! :D

Congrats on your 25th! DH & I are celebrating our 25th on Feb 22, from aboard the Golden for 2 weeks to Hawaii! :D:D ALOHA! 5 days till boarding! YIPPEE! If it weren't for my laptop, I couldn't sit still! :p:D

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary.

Whether you take the train or the bus to Anchorage -- be prepared to be up early!! The train leaves first -- usually around 7 -- boarding can begin anytime between 6 and 7 AM. The bus leaves shortly after that.

Yes -- breakfast is early that day -- the Lido opens early -- the dining room opens early. Those of us who were staying on for the return cruise and others going on the land tours also had to be up early to eat as they closed down everything by 8 AM.

My family 'reunion' started in Anchorage then we took the train to Seward.

You can just book it yourself. I am sure the cost through HAL is much higher.

It is a wonderful train ride. Beautiful. And slow at points because of the tracks.

We took the train in 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, you have to get up early and you're on the train early, but it is a great ride. As I recall, the train terminates at the Anchorage airport. We boarded a bus there and went on, but it looked like a real convenient walk to the airline terminals. You can book the train through HAL.

We have always rented from Hertz. We have rented everything from cars to 13 passenger vans, and always had good luck, even booking at a relatively late date. You do have to call the local hertz office for the one way rental, the 800 number will not do it for you, and will claim it can't be done. We love to go to exit glacier, portage glacier, and Whitter (where the world's best halibut is served), and go through the long tunnel to Whittier. In addition, we never fail to see mountain goats or sheep, and frequently moose. You can spend all day getting there, as most flights are LATE at night. Let me know if you need more info.

Bill

Thanks, everyone, for the anniversary wishes! Most of you seem to like the train. Can someone give me the website for the train that runs in the am that travels from the ship to Anchorage airport? The only thing I found when I was looking was a train that left Seward at 6:00PM and got to Anchorage at 10:15PM. That is too late for us to catch our flight.

Thanks again! :)

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary.

Whether you take the train or the bus to Anchorage -- be prepared to be up early!! The train leaves first -- usually around 7 -- boarding can begin anytime between 6 and 7 AM. The bus leaves shortly after that.

Yes -- breakfast is early that day -- the Lido opens early -- the dining room opens early. Those of us who were staying on for the return cruise and others going on the land tours also had to be up early to eat as they closed down everything by 8 AM.

According to the 2011 train schedule, the only (northbound) train from Seward to Anchorage does not leave Seward until 6:00 p.m.! Could you please direct me to the 2011 train schedule that indicates that it leaves Seward at "around 7" (a.m.)?:confused:

I agree with dadroy. The trains chartered by HAL won't show on the schedule if you are looking at The Alaska Railroad website. The Alaska Railroad has a train that leaves Anchorage about 7AM and gets into Seward about 11AM. It sits there until later in the afternoon or suppertime, then heads back to Anchorage with passengers.

HAL has chartered trains with them as well and you will have to check with HAL to see what time it leaves Seward to head back to Anchorage. It might be listed under the Excursion tab of your cruise itinerary. If it doesn't tell the time, you might have to call HAL for an estimate.

I agree with dadroy. The trains chartered by HAL won't show on the schedule if you are looking at The Alaska Railroad website. The Alaska Railroad has a train that leaves Anchorage about 7AM and gets into Seward about 11AM. It sits there until later in the afternoon or suppertime, then heads back to Anchorage with passengers.

HAL has chartered trains with them as well and you will have to check with HAL to see what time it leaves Seward to head back to Anchorage. It might be listed under the Excursion tab of your cruise itinerary. If it doesn't tell the time, you might have to call HAL for an estimate.

Thanks for the info, dadroy and Shelly. Shelly, I would have contacted you directly, but for some reason, I thought you had mentioned in an earlier post about the train being later. So I thought I'd ask if anyone else had any other info. Now that I look back, I don't see you saying that. Oops.....sorry. You are still my #1 'go to girl'! LOL ;)

I was pretty sure there was one train back to Anchorage and it was later, but there could be an earlier one that I was not aware of. Getting off the ship in time to make your flight probably precludes the train ride as it is a 4 - 4-1/2 hour ride. Somehow I doubt the train will be leaving early enough. Have you talked to HAL about this yet? They do have train and bus options back to Anchorage listed under shore excursions for Seward, but they don't list a time.

IME, DH and I did an in-transit excursion for our b2b/collector's voyage in 2009. Our bus was scheduled to leave at 7:00, and the train was to leave shortly before our departure. It was our understanding that tickets for that early train were only available through the cruise (to the point that someone in Seward on a private trip had to purchase from the ship!).

We pulled out for a distance of about 50 feet when we headed back to the ship to pick up some disgruntled passengers who had missed their train... silent disembarkation doesn't work for those who refuse to read the letter!

We spent part of the day in Anchorage and thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon train trip back to Seward. Much of the trip is the same (along the same route), but the views are better from the train. Also, the train gets much closer to Portage Glacier than the bus can ever show you (bus driver says, "Down that road there...").

Looks like the train leaves Seward at 6.00pm and arrives at Anchorage around 10.15pm.

That's probably the Alaska Railroad scheduled service anyone can book.

The HAL train will not be listed on their schedule. And if the HAL charted train does leave at 7AM, Yoshell, you MIGHT make your flight but I would be checking very carefully with HAL about arrival time at the airport.

Archived