Traditional dining unavailable - what are my chances?

Infi

That is always the case. Both traditional and open seating are part of HAL's As You Wish dining. Actually all of HAL's onboard dining is part of As You Wish dining, no way to eat on the ship otherwise.

hmmmmmm, maybe you could order pizza . ( just kidding ). But I am thinking they should call is "As THEY Wish " because it seems like you can't get what you wish .

We don't even ask for traditional fixed early anymore , we gave up on it .

Open seating does have some benefits , like no set time, so no being late for dinner .

Service is about the same as a regular restaurant , unfortunately no ongoing relationship with the staff typically . we miss that .

Due to a change we made several months prior to sailing recently, we lost our Confirmed Early Upper and were placed in Open Dining. When we boarded we were surprised to see that we'd been assigned Early Upper at a table for two - exactly as we'd originally requested.

Funny thing was ... we'd recently, unexpectedly, tried Open Dining on another ship and had been quite pleased with it. We'll no longer stress about dining times. Either will be fine with us.

We sailed on the Statendam in Oct 2009 through the Panama Canal and on the Ryndam this last January 2011. Both times we were assigned "As You Wish Dining", although we had requested Early Fixed. Both times we visited with the maitre d' immediately after boarding the ship. He gave us a 5:15 seating at the same table every day for each 2-week cruise. To us, this was just like fixed seating (which we prefer), and we had the same stewards every evening. We did not have to call reservations at any time, and we did not have to check in -- we just walked right to our table.

We sailed on the Statendam in Oct 2009 through the Panama Canal and on the Ryndam this last January 2011. Both times we were assigned "As You Wish Dining", although we had requested Early Fixed. Both times we visited with the maitre d' immediately after boarding the ship. He gave us a 5:15 seating at the same table every day for each 2-week cruise. To us, this was just like fixed seating (which we prefer), and we had the same stewards every evening. We did not have to call reservations at any time, and we did not have to check in -- we just walked right to our table.

Well done!! just like fixed so you had 'your cake and ate it too'.

I didn't know you could make reservations for the entire cruise.

This is a very good tip and if all the ships do it, will solve a lot of problems for a lot of people including the op. :):)

He gave us a 5:15 seating at the same table every day for each 2-week cruise. To us, this was just like fixed seating (which we prefer), and we had the same stewards every evening. We did not have to call reservations at any time, and we did not have to check in -- we just walked right to our table.
Since the MDR opens at that time, you probably could have just walked up at that time every day and gotten immediate seating with the same stewards, and most of the time the same table too. You would have had to check-in, though. When we have made daily reservations we still have had to check in.

I didn't know you could make reservations for the entire cruise.

This is a very good tip and if all the ships do it, will solve a lot of problems for a lot of people including the op. :):)

I would bet that it would not be possible to get such a long standing reservation for a more popular time.

Call HAL directly to see if they can find you a table in the seating you prefer. When we first booked last month, there was only open seating available. When we called to confirm our infant related requests, we also asked for a table in the early seating. Not only could they get us into the seating, but they reserved a table for four for us so that we don't have to annoy anybody else with our kids for the week. HTH!

Thank you for this suggestion, I hadn't even thought of trying it. I did call HAL yesterday and they were able to put me on the waitlist for early seating. The waitlist is better than nothing - and at least I feel like I accomplished something. :)

Due to a change we made several months prior to sailing recently, we lost our Confirmed Early Upper and were placed in Open Dining. When we boarded we were surprised to see that we'd been assigned Early Upper at a table for two - exactly as we'd originally requested.

Funny thing was ... we'd recently, unexpectedly, tried Open Dining on another ship and had been quite pleased with it. We'll no longer stress about dining times. Either will be fine with us.

GmaPajama, that's a good story to hear. I'm glad HAL was able to accommodate you. Although we didn't have confirmed early to begin with, it gives me some hope about our situation.

What does "Main" mean -- that's whats on our e-docs! What is the Main time? Do you miss many shows or games etc doing Main?

What times can one go to "As You Wish"? Def do NOT want 5:15 -- 7-7:15 alot better.

We're 2 grandparents + 6 grandkids (11-18) -- Last cruise (on Carn) with all of them we had late sitting and it worked OK because they slept late so late bkft and mid-day lunch.

What does "Main" mean -- that's whats on our e-docs! What is the Main time? Do you miss many shows or games etc doing Main?
Main dining is 8:00p, and your shows are pre-dinner.
What times can one go to "As You Wish"? Def do NOT want 5:15 -- 7-7:15 alot better.
ALL dining on HAL falls under the AYWD umbrella term. The open/anytime seating is from 5:15 to 9:00, but during the most popular time between 6:30 to 7:30 you may have to wait for a table of the size you wish.

Archived