Bergen & Stavanger excursions ??

WATB

We've taken a look at excursions available with P&O for Bergen and Stavanger, nothing seems to have grabbed us so were wondering if we're missing anything.........

We've chosen trips for Andalsnes and Olden but the trips described for the other 2 ports seem less of a dramatic (not sure if that's the right word !!)experience.

Does anyone have any recommendations for these 2 ports ?

Thanks for your time

WATB

Stavanger:

Last time we were there we visited the Petroleum Museum (much more interesting than it sounds) then had a pleasant lunch in Le Cafe Francais (not cheap but very nice).

It is very easy to walk around and we also took in the lake and the old town. Next time we would catch the local boat trip to Pulpit Rock from the other side of the port where the ship docks, much cheaper than P&O and you can change your mind if the weather is poor (we heard that some of the views were spoiled by mist on the official excursion).

Bergen:

We love this place. It’s an easy walk round the harbour to the fish market which is well worth a look. We have also got on local sightseeing tour buses in the past. I wouldn’t bother with the aquarium again, but definitely catch the funicular to the top of the hill. We bought a fish salad in the market then ate it at the top of the hill in the park. You can either catch the funicular back down or walk one of the various forest trails. We took the trail that goes back down to the centre (took about 1 hour I think) then we called in some of the old shops on the harbour front.

Stravanger.. there is plenty to see here just a short walk from the ship is the lovely old town. and as said before the Oil and Gas museum is worth a visit and not nearly as boring as it sounds

Bergan.. the shuttle takes you into town ,, walk along to the harbour and via the market you can walk around the old town plenty to see here again the museum is good and gives a good view of life in Bergan and how it began also in here are clean loos and a nice coffee shop that sell waffles. Further along is a castle .. there is also a cable car you can go on for a view across the harbour and town.

We were in Bergen and Stavanger last year on Aurora. Bergen had lovely weather, which is apparently rare as it rains most of the time. The trip we did isn't on your list, but it only lasted the morning and we had a great time exploring this lovely town on foot. The ship berths right at the nicest part of town for exploring (5 mins walk). I think, if Iwere to go back again, I'd try the Heights and Highlighs tour and spend the remaining time exploring on foot.

In Stavanger, we did the Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock morning trip and had the afternoon to spend at leisure in town. Again, the ship berths almost in the town (5 mins walk). I would recommend the Lysefjord trip - we had a beautiful day, and the boat winds its way among lovely islands and up Lysefjord with it's vertical rock walls. It probably includes a stop at a fjord-side eatery for waffles.

Weather permitting, you will enjoy whatever you do.

We didn't bother with a tour in Bergen. Plenty to see by yourself.

The free shuttle takes you into town, we headed straight to the Funicular Railway which goes up Mount Floyen for fantastic views . A good tip is to go as soon as you can after breakfast and head for the railway 1st, as it gets very busy with long queues after 11am ish.

photos of Bergen here, with railway...the market is very interesting too, I sampled whale meat, saw sites you don't see in the UK, like wolf and seal skins for sale, but also wonderful fish platters to try, there are also shops and cafes to see, so lots to do,

click link here set at Bergen in my album

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378443794365083394

At Stavanger, I would thoroughly recommend the trip to the island with the Tropical Gardens - sorry can't remember the name off the top of my head. It was one of our very best trips in 10 years of cruising with P&O and is spectacularly beautiful.

Just checked - it's the Flor and Fjære Garden at Sør Hidle.

Why?

The Norwegians should be discouraged from whaling. They are already on the back foot - they need to be clear that the civilised world finds the practice repulsive.

WD

I have to agree with you.

My mother also tried it and I was utterly appalled.

Cheers everyone for sharing your experiences of these 2 ports.......I'll take another look at the trips but glad to see that its easy to do your own thing too......we probably wait til we are on board before we decide if we'll do a P&O excursion and go with what we feel at the time and whatever suits the weather on the day !!

I too would recommend DIY in both these ports. The Town centres are small and easy to walk around. Stavanger has a brilliant maritime museum on the harbourside with free English audio commentary. The old town is delightful too if the weather is kind.

Bergen again is easy DIY, with the fish market, Bryggen and some lovely back streets to explore.

Archived