Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

As some of the younger generation might say; Tru dat:). My main reason for asking about the space ratio was, I just was curious how it was comparable to the Dream, because sooner or later a Carnival fanatic with try to come up with a remark about how RCI is desperate for revenue and, on paper, is cramming more people a smaller ship.

Gregg

And you were spot on with your comment. Didn't take long for the Carnivores to come out.:D They're so proud that Carnival has been the same ship for 15 straight years that they have lost site of what a good ship could actually look like. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1357666

And you were spot on with your comment. Didn't take long for the Carnivores to come out.:D They're so proud that Carnival has been the same ship for 15 straight years that they have lost site of what a good ship could actually look like. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1357666

Maybe they see that as Carnival having achieved perfection. What is left to build when one has already reached the apex?;)

Maybe they see that as Carnival having achieved perfection. What is left to build when one has already reached the apex?;)

Well maybe they need to step out and see what a real ship looks like!!!! Having cruised those glorified cattle carriers myself, I can tell you 100% that they are not perfection.;):D By the way, how many days now until Oasis?

Well maybe they need to step out and see what a real ship looks like!!!! Having cruised those glorified cattle carriers myself, I can tell you 100% that they are not perfection.;):D By the way, how many days now until Oasis?

Two weeks from today!

This puts the size between Freedom and Oasis class ships, which is really too large for my taste. I was hoping for something between Radiance and Voyager class - or maybe even Voyager Class with more of the Radiance Class features. I'm glad they're going smaller than Oasis, since that class has such severely limited ports.

Disney Dream.......................125' wide.........1115' long.....128,000 tons

Freedom of the Seas.............127' wide.........1112' long.....160,000 tons

Very close in dimensions, 32,000 tons difference.

Interesting, does the FOS have 2 more decks then the Disney Dream? Or is it that it "fans out" more for the passenger decks, as I believe that width listed is at the waterline. (For example, the max width for FOS is 184' at the bridge wings)

Also isn't FOS registered at around 154,000 tons? Still, 26,000 is a bit of a difference.

Oasis/Allure are 225,282 gt with 5400 pax, double occ. for a ratio of 41.7 compared to 38.5 for Sunshine if the numbers are correct -- that's why we are concerned.

The 5400 is a bad number to use, the ship sails regularly over 6000. So, 225,282/6000+= 37.5. And it doesn't ever come close to feeling crowded. Lets not worry about this anymore until the interior design comes out

The 5400 is a bad number to use, the ship sails regularly over 6000. So, 225,282/6000+= 37.5. And it doesn't ever come close to feeling crowded. Lets not worry about this anymore until the interior design comes out

Actually 5400 is correct. The standard procedure for measuring passenger to space ratio is taking the total tonnage of the ship and dividing it by the number of lower berths.

The reason being is that this new class of ship (Sunshine) will need less space for propulson and generation of power due to the Sunshine aspect. This new breed of ocean vessel will utilize solar power for a majority of the operating systems.

For obvious reason I cannot reveal my sources for this information. Many of you will flame me and discount this information as myth.

Thank you for addressing this. That really stood out in the press release (at least to me). And its a logical reason for the name "sunshine class"

I can't wait! :)

The problem with photovoltaic cells is that at the moment their efficiency is quite low - I heard that on some ships producing the fresh water required to wash the salt off the panels consumes more power than the cells produce, meaning that installing solar panels to promote the environmentally friendly image might be just another form of greenwashing. Of course they might've got around the problem somehow...

Interesting, does the FOS have 2 more decks then the Disney Dream? Or is it that it "fans out" more for the passenger decks, as I believe that width listed is at the waterline. (For example, the max width for FOS is 184' at the bridge wings)

Also isn't FOS registered at around 154,000 tons? Still, 26,000 is a bit of a difference.

Yes that is at the waterline. The 160,000 vs 154,000 are both numbers on the RCI information pages.

It all comes down to what counts in the measurements. Anyone can add a 50' bowspirit and call the ship longer.

Actually 5400 is correct. The standard procedure for measuring passenger to space ratio is taking the total tonnage of the ship and dividing it by the number of lower berths.

I understand the formula, but that ratio is only accurate if there are 5400 passengers on board. If you add 600+ passengers and you don't add any more ship, then ratio goes down. simple math

I understand the formula, but that ratio is only accurate if there are 5400 passengers on board. If you add 600+ passengers and you don't add any more ship, then ratio goes down. simple math

I understand that and that goes for any ship including but what I described is the formula that the cruise industry uses.

we've come up with some good names for the new vessels....

some are humor related. Can you figure out which are humor?

Reflection of the Seas

Shimmer of the Seas

Illumination of the Seas

Amore of the Seas

Temperance of the Seas

Sentiment of the Seas

Wonder of the Seas

Honor of the Seas

Dignity of the Seas

Serendipity of the Seas

Apollo of the Seas

Tranquility of the Seas

The Limpid of the Seas

The Parking of the Seas

Sparkle of the Seas

Twinkle of the Seas

Sizzle of the Seas

Crackle of the Seas

Bellweather of the Seas

Tsunami of the Seas

Vehement of the Seas

Cornucopia of the Seas

I'm still waiting on "Crapazite of the Seas". It would have its own Diamonds International on board.

Little dicky bird tells me that it is possible that it is intended to replace the Indie from Southampton and will have a covered pool area.

I got in first with the rumours!!! :D:D:D

Oh yes, forgot. One deck to be entirely dedicated to Diamond Plus members!!!:p:p

I understand that and that goes for any ship including but what I described is the formula that the cruise industry uses.

My point really was just that until an interior design comes out, why continue arguing over one tiny point. There is so much to a ship that never goes utilized but also factors into that ratio to throw it off.

I am very surprised at the tonnage. I was hoping for something in between Radiance class and Voyager class. This ship will have to be a radically different design considering that it isn't much larger than the Freedom class ships. Otherwise they may as well just build another Freedom class ship.

I was hoping for something along the lines of Radiance or Solstice.

What a shame they are building another monster.

Disney Dream.......................125' wide.........1115' long.....128,000 tons

Freedom of the Seas.............127' wide.........1112' long.....160,000 tons

Very close in dimensions, 32,000 tons difference.

According to specs on the RCI website, the FOS width is 183.4 ft

Archived