Arriving in Southampton on Royal Wedding Day

Also within striking distance of Bath is Glastonbury, which complements Stonehenge/Avebury superbly. The commercial Abbey is the tourist trail draw, but its the mystic shops, hippy like locals and Glastonbury Tor, Chailice Well and thorn bushes that will captivate you.

Agreed,

Lots of folklore about Glastonbury Tor, including -

- It's King Arthur's legendary Isle of Avalon (the low-lying area around as far as the Bristol Channel was marshy sea before the area was drained by monks around the C13th, to form the pastureland of the "Somerset Levels"). Arthur & Guinevere are reputedly buried in Glastonbury Abbey.

- It's the hiding place of the Abbey's treasures when the Abbey was sacked by Henry V111

- It's the hiding place of the Holy Grail

- It's the entrance to The Underworld.

- It's on a ley-line connecting various mystic places, including Stonehenge.

As in my earlier post, strange folk in Glastonbury :rolleyes:

Wonder if its got anything to do with the local Scrumpy? :D

DorneyBoy's Lacock would slot neatly into my suggested day 1 route, Castle Combe is only a short diversion from my day 3 suggestion.

JB

What an interesting thread:

Just to throw my twopennyworth in -

Pubs are nearly always the best places to eat anywhere. You don't have to drink alcohol and there will usually be a good choice of food and drink at a reasonable cost.

Petrol is very expensive - currently £1.30 a litre around Southampton and rising (that is by my reckoning about $8 per US gallon).

When my husband and I went on our honeymoon 11 years ago, we went to every "standing stone" we could find. Our friends lived in Devon and we drove all over the place, running around fields with cows, crossing fences. I wish I knew what map we had that we were referring too, so that I could refer you, but we had such a fun time!! The funny thing is, we never went to Stonehenge!!!! We only went to the random ones on the sides or roads, and in giant fields. It was an amazing memory!

Wow, and I'm staying home more because gas is $3.62 here--but we do live in a rural area and have to drive about 20 miles to get anywhere.

Yes, we'll definitely try some pubs. Adding Glastonbury area to our tour ideas as well.

Archived