French Quarter to Garden District - walkable (day)?

sunnytropic

Hi,

I am staying in the French Quarter and am wondering if the Garden District is walkable during the day?

I am a New Yorker used to walking around a lot; sometimes 5-6 miles a day; my friend traveling with me would also be able to walk like this. I guess my question is more about the safety of doing so!

Thanks in advance!

It's walkable if you are used to doing a lot of walking and the weather cooperates. Stay on St. Charles Avenue for the first several blocks and you will be reasonable safe. If you have concerns with weather or safety, just jump on the streetcar.

It's worth the trip.

http://www.inetours.com/New_Orleans/Garden_District.html

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend taking the streetcar. At $1.25 pp per ride, it's cheaper than the NYC subway or bus. We boarded the streetcar at its last/first stop on Canal and Charles Street. Make sure you have exact change (they take $1 bills plus coins). The driver was taking his break so we waited a few minutes on line until his return. You can walk more once you get into the Garden District and watch where you step since most sidewalks areuneven due to the roots of the old trees that cause the cement sidewalks to raise, crack or buckle. You can even expand you walk by going to Magazine Street from the Disctrict.

My friend sent me the following links: http://www.neworleanscvb.com/static/index.cfm/contentID/260/sectionID/1/subsectionID/0

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/docs/FQWB.pdf

Have fun!

I have walked many times from the CBD to the Garden District. It isn't "pretty" but safe, getting there. Also walking back on Magazine is OK too, again, not an area of interest between the Garden District and Poydras. The suggestion to take the streetcar is an excellent one to consider. Do your homework on the area and get off at your areas of interest.

I'd take the streetcar for $1.25 and save my walking for a great walking tour that I just recently went on - Garden District/Cemetary Tour. You could walk to meet the guide in front of the Garden District Book Shop located in a little indoor "mall", for lack of a better word since it is a very small group of stores. Stores located in "The Rink", corner of Pyrtania St. & Washington. There was a tour around 11:00 or 11:30 if I remember correctly and then there was an afternoon one too. It cost $20. We had a guide named Dave who was so informative regarding this very old cemetary, of the different architecture styles of the homes in the area we walked, pointed out which homes belonged to famous people, etc. It was about 2 hrs. long - not all the time walking, often stopping to listen to the information. I'm sure you could find a brouchure with a number to call for exact times. One of the most enjoyable things I did while visiting New Orleans.

My friend & I were a bit early so we went into a little coffee/gift shop called Still Perkin' also located in that same mall. Cute little place. They have a variety of cannisters of tea & make tea bags of the tea of your choice. Nice with an almond croissants and they also had good muffins. From there we went to lunch and then walked along Magazine St. for a bit.

Archived