Troy from Istanbul

Does anyone have any information on a tour from Istanbul to Troy? I can find tours that go to Troy AND Gallipoli, but i really am only interested in Troy. I read somewhere that it could be done in about 16 hours, including the round trip drive. We are in port overnight, so that would be fine. I am not sure I can be that close to one of my "dream" ancient sites and not try to go.

I did a trip to Troy from Istanbul, but I wasn't on a cruise and I booked it through an Istanbul travel agency. My tour stayed overnight in Canakkale, but there was one that only did the Troy site and museum and was done in one long day. The problem is that I seem to remember it left very early in the morning -- probably before your ship would be docked.

Not sure if you can arrange this any other way than by private tour -- is that something you would consider? (It would be more expensive, definitely.)

As for Troy -- I totally understand about it being a "dream" site. It was for me too. I know some people are disappointed when they get there (it really is in ruins and somewhat confusing, especially if you haven't read about its long and confusing history), but I certainly was not. It remains one of the favorites among the ruins I've visited.

IMO, if it means a lot to you, and you don't think you would have another chance, I would definitely recommend you do it by private tour.

Archived