?? Regarding NCL Pre and Post Cruise Hotel - Miami

NengEuis

Hi all, glad to be back on the CC boards as we are planning another cruise (without kids this time) for our 10th Anniversary in January. This will be our first cruise as Suite Passengers, and I am counting down the days!

My question is about the pre and post cruise hotel thing. We are planning on staying in Miami for 2 nights before and 2 nights after the cruise. I am on the fence as to whether I should include the hotel as part of our NCL reservation, or just do it myself.

Besides Transfers, what are the benefits to having my PCC add the hotel as opposed to doing it myself?

How does payment work? Does the hotel rate just get added to the final balance due?

Are the hotels that NCL lets you pick from of good quality? I am looking for a romantic experience all around here, and don't want to be shuffling around in a big group of cruise pax (I worked for Princess in Alaska (land ops) for 10 years and have shuttled my fair share of mobs around LOL)

Any other experiences you have regarding pre and post cruise hotel options in Miami would be appreciated. We have never been there before. Thanks!

We booked our own pre-cruise hotel (Intercontinental) and were quite happy not just with the accommodations (which were great) but with the location as well (walking distance to Bayside). When we awoke in the morning, there were 4 cruiseships (including our Pearl) docked almost directly across from the hotel - it was still dark and seeing the ships all lit up was fantastic. The hotel is a $24 cab ride from MIA. The next morning it was another $10 (or so) to get to POM.

Hi all, glad to be back on the CC boards as we are planning another cruise (without kids this time) for our 10th Anniversary in January. This will be our first cruise as Suite Passengers, and I am counting down the days!

My question is about the pre and post cruise hotel thing. We are planning on staying in Miami for 2 nights before and 2 nights after the cruise. I am on the fence as to whether I should include the hotel as part of our NCL reservation, or just do it myself.

Besides Transfers, what are the benefits to having my PCC add the hotel as opposed to doing it myself?

How does payment work? Does the hotel rate just get added to the final balance due?

Are the hotels that NCL lets you pick from of good quality? I am looking for a romantic experience all around here, and don't want to be shuffling around in a big group of cruise pax (I worked for Princess in Alaska (land ops) for 10 years and have shuttled my fair share of mobs around LOL)

Any other experiences you have regarding pre and post cruise hotel options in Miami would be appreciated. We have never been there before. Thanks!

I don't know what NCL wants to charge but from what I read on CC they charge quite a bit more. I have always booked my own as I like to determine where I am going to stay. The first trip I stayed at the Hol. Inn - POM and it was kinda okay 3* but from then on I have paid less than that for the Intercontinental 4-5*. They are both within walking distance to Bayside. In the future I will always stay here before the cruise as I love to wake up in the morning and look out and see the ship!:D

Some people say they like using Priceline but I don't as I haven't been able to figure out a fool proof way of knowing that I am getting the hotel I want so I book the IC through last minute travel dot com and get it for a great price. Paid $83.00 for night before our cruise in December.

After the cruise you might want to try a different area just for variety. A lot of people like South Beach, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, etc. You should check out the Florida board for a lots of info. which is where I found out the secret to booking through lmt and knowing which hotel I am getting for a great price.

Oh, and if you like bbq you must go to Shorty's. OMG - it really is the best baby back ribs I have ever eaten (shh... don't let dh know... his are great but it may even beat his) shhhh... :eek:;) Oh, it's not a fancy place - has benches to sit on and everyone just squeezes in but they are sooo worth it. Oh no... just made myself hungry for some of these and it's gonna be a long time before we get back to Miami :( hmm... may buy some ribs next weekend for hubby to cook up.:D

Have a great romantic cruise!:D

Book your own. You can get lot better prices. Most people who go 4 star in that area using priceline end up at the Intercontinental for a great price. I have not stayed there, but every review I've seen of it has been great, and I love the chain (used them in various cities)

Thank you for the insight! I know how to use Hotwire to my advantage by using the Hotel Lists and forums at betterbidding dot com. I was leaning toward booking my own, but wasn't sure if people were getting some great deals from NCL. Yeah right! :)

Anyway, I'll start surfing around and bookmarking places to stay. And I like the idea of staying in two different places for variety. Then maybe we can spurge on the first one and then save a bit by heading to something a little lower on the $$$ scale.

Definitely book your own hotels. You at least will have control over where you will want to stay. Also, I'm sure the price you'll end up paying will be cheaper. Last November we stayed two days pre cruise at the Intercontinental in Miami. This is a very nice hotel but Bayside is not that exciting if you've been there more than once. You may want to stay in South Beach which is very popular. Post cruise we stayed 1 1/2 days at the Westin Diplomat Resort in Hollywood (beach location). Loved this hotel and wished that I had also booked this hotel pre cruise. Anyway, you've got lots of time to decide. I booked both hotels in February of last year as well. Well in advance of our cruise and saved $$$'s by booking with Last Minute Travel and Hotwire.

Archived