I come to see the canal - but what else, how and how to save money??

lahore

Hi, we are Aussies going on Legend of the seas full canal crossing in December. I am VERY interested to see the actual canal - not so bothered about floating around in the lake. So, what to do? If you go on the ship's tours (which we are REALLY struggling to afford anyway, but this might be the ONE place to make an exception due to inability to get off ship otherwise), then does being on a tour mean you miss the industrial wonders of the canal?

I am interested in culture, culture and more culture (and taking photos) - in the anthropological sense not the 'high culture' sense - so any tours people have done to historical/native places I would love to hear about. Also any suggestions for saving money icon_confused.gif

australia_gs_e0.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=a0522d&cdt=2004;12;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

IMHO you should not get off the ship if you are making a full transit.. just can't get an appreciation for this engineering marvel. On Princess and HAL they usually have some onboard programs to highlight the building of the canal etc., not sure about on Royal Caribbean. The perspective simply wouldn't be the same if you took a tour

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time! icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

One can never have too many days at sea..</font>

Archived