Helicopter - Juneau vs. Skagway

Cherylc2

Based on very positive feedback from this group, we booked in Ketchikan for Southeast's kayaking and Misty Fjords flight. (Many thanks from a first-time and reluctant cruiser!) We then realized that, after this, we probably wouldn't want to do the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway (too repetitive). Instead, we'll do some hiking in both Skagway and Juneau, probably the the Tram in Juneau, and, we want to do a helicopter ride.

So, with a long intro, I'm wondering if anyone has done the helicopter out of both Skagway and Juneau and could compare. We'd be looking for:

* great views

* a good amount of air time

* some down time on a glacier but not a trek (I live in the NW...)

Already know about both Coastal and TEMSCO. I just can't compare them based on the info on their web sites.

Many thanks!

CC

I have glacier helicopter landed out of both ports with both venders. ANY landing is worthwhile and comparisms less than ideal due to the constant state of change with glaciers. :) Always something new, so my recommendation is to book where the time fits best. If looking for independent bookings- your choice may be made for you as TEMSCO has VERY limited independent bookings available.

I guess I should clarify. Because we were also interested in seeing the view from the air, we were planning on booking 'pilot's choice', which is says it's 1.25 hours in the air, vs. the helicopter glacier tour's 10 minutes each way (per this board). So what we're wondering is: which is more scenic from the air - the terrain around Juneau or Skagway.

And yep, I bet 'if you've walked on one glacier, you've walked on 'em all!' ;)

Many thanks!

CC

Cheryl,

There is so much that we have planned to do in Juneau that we opted to do our glacier helicopter tour in Skagway. We are doing the afternoon run of the Valley of the Glaciers tour with Temsco. We will be doing the White Pass RR in the morning.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

Deb

We did the helicopter tour out of Juneau, and the weather was miserable. It is not as fun to walk on the glacier in the rain, and more difficult to see/spot wildlife in the rain. I would go with another port rather than Juneau, which VERY OFTEN has miserable weather.

Archived