iPad on Marina

dwelsh

Did any of the CC travelers use an iPad during the first voyages. If so could you please report on its efficacy. Also, I have asked on other threads, but have had no response, regarding the provision of an ipod(Phone) connection in staterooms, is there one?

I can't give you specific comments on Oceania but we have used our iPads (two actually) with good results on Celebrity's Eclipse and most recently on the Sapphire Princess. The challenge is the wi-fi connection, how strong & fast it may be, the cost of using it, whether there is wireless service in the cabin and/or do you have to go elsewhere on the ship to find a stronger signal, etc.

Once you resolve all of this, the iPad can be used just as if you have a laptop computer. It doesn't matter what the cruise ship is, although the newer ships seem to be more capable.

You want to do any email composing offline. There are iPad apps available that can allow you to set up group mailings from your address book. There are also apps that allow you to resize pictures (make the file size smaller) from your camera downloads, so you can include these in your emails if you choose. Then you jump online, the meter starts running, and you log off as soon as the message is sent.

Surfing the web is no problem, except realize that on most cruise ships where we have used their internet access, they all run slow, maybe a little better than a dial-up connection. So, unless you have money to burn, this may not be something you want to do regularly. Again, iPad, laptop, it makes no difference.

There are also apps that allow you to resize pictures (make the file size smaller) from your camera downloads, so you can include these in your emails if you choose.

How do you get your pictures from your camera to the iPad? I would love to know the answer to this.

TIA

How do you get your pictures from your camera to the iPad? I would love to know the answer to this.

TIA

Apple sells a kit for $30 which consists of two adapters that plug into the 30-pin connector on the bottom of the iPad. One of the adapters has a slot for an SD memory card. The other adapter has a USB connection so you can run the transfer cable from the camera to the iPad.

As soon as you connect in either method, the pictures in your camera automatically will transfer over. Later, you can transfer the pictures from the iPad to your Mac or PC when you sync it with iTunes.

Apple sells a kit for $30 which consists of two adapters that plug into the 30-pin connector on the bottom of the iPad. One of the adapters has a slot for an SD memory card. The other adapter has a USB connection so you can run the transfer cable from the camera to the iPad.

Thank you - I will look for it.

Did any of the CC travelers use an iPad during the first voyages. If so could you please report on its efficacy. Also, I have asked on other threads, but have had no response, regarding the provision of an ipod(Phone) connection in staterooms, is there one?

We just came off the maiden voyage of Marina. There was no docking station for either an I-pad or I-touch in the rooms - something I think FDR should consider because I saw lots of them on board!

There is wi-fi onboard, however, during the maiden voyage the system was still being "debugged", so it was intermittent and not very fast. However, I have read from those on the Panama Canal transit cruise who were also on the maiden voyage that the system is doing much better! Good news!

There was no docking station for either an I-pad or I-touch in the rooms - something I think FDR should consider because I saw lots of them on board!

I'm not sure what you mean by a "docking station". I know what that is for charging devices, but I've never seen one on a ship.

A docking station allows you to connect your phone to a sound system, eg radio.

I know what a docking station is. It also permits simultaneous charging. However, after 30 cruises, I've never seen one on a cruise ship. Perhaps in the "Owner's Suite" or in a standard cabin on Seabourne, but all of that is a little rich for our blood and we don't go there.

The regular veranda staterooms didn't have a radio so no docking station.

I used my iPad on the maiden voyage of the Marina---once at around midnight. There were only around 200 IP addresses (I think this is what the computer tech called them) and they were immediately taken up when people realized that internet was free. Usually, when you have to pay, you log in and when you are finished, you log out by typing 1.1.1.1 in the browser bar. Well, people weren't logging out. Only once was I able to log in and dumb me, I also logged out!!!

The regular veranda staterooms didn't have a radio so no docking station.

I used my iPad on the maiden voyage of the Marina---once at around midnight. There were only around 200 IP addresses (I think this is what the computer tech called them) and they were immediately taken up when people realized that internet was free. Usually, when you have to pay, you log in and when you are finished, you log out by typing 1.1.1.1 in the browser bar. Well, people weren't logging out. Only once was I able to log in and dumb me, I also logged out!!!

I also used my I-Pad onboard, and found several times I couldn't log out because I was cut off and could not log on again to log out! Hope that has been cured with the new router - supposed to have over 3,000 IP addresses according to the tech.

I think none of these issues are iPad related. Shipboard wireless internet access via satellite has always been a tentative thing, regardless of cruise line, ship, etc. Besides taking our iPads, I always take a MacBook Pro laptop. There are some conveniences in using the laptop vs. the iPad, but connectivity issues are the same regardless of what equipment you use to get online.

For example, the 1.1.1.1 logoff address applies also to internet service on Princess ships. This is the function of the satellite service the cruise lines use and is not a function of one ship vs. another.

Archived