Snorkeling in Nassau and Castaway Cay

Ross1018

My husband and I will be on the Wonder April 10th, we love to go snorkeling, and are wondering if anyone has any input on the snorkeling excursions at Nassau (Catamaran Sail & Reef Snorkeling) and at Castaway Cay (Sea Horse Snorkel). We can't decide if we should go on both or if they're very much alike and only need to go on one, and which one? Any info would be appreciated.

We're not familiar with a snorkling excursion at Castaway Cay. Where do they go?

There is a free one there, though you have to rent equipment if you don't have your own. That one is a "trail" where they have placed a number of objects (including a statue of Mickey) underwater to create an artificial reef. It was still a little barren, but there were plenty of fish and even a stingray.

We did the seahorse sail and snorkel in Naussa and would not recomend it. They just kinda stop in the middle of a main channel leading in/out of Nassau and there is no beach or anything. I heard great things about Stuarts snorkel or soemthing like that "snorkel with sharks"

You have to check out www.stuartcove.com! This is a non-ship excursion for DCL, but I know NCL does book with them for about $20 more per person. My sister booked a few years back for us and we had an amazing time. (One of us had never been in the ocean before and the rest of us are part fish, and we all loved it.) I later took my mother on the same excursion and she loved it too. She even said it was better than when she was in Grand Cayman.

They pick you up just outside the cruise ship port fence and shuttle you over to Stuart Cove. (About 45 minutes as they stop at the Cable Beach hotels too.) Then you get your gear and board the boats. Both times, we stopped at three diffferent snorkeling spots, the last one with sharks! They explained the natural and "Hollywood" significance of the locations. (We sat on top where we could talk with the captain and mate.)

As someone who is accustomed to the "Disney way" and expect a lot from companies, this did not disappoint! :D I am now planning on taking my father-in-law on this excursion.

Whatever you do, don't forget the sunscreen and dramamine. Little boats rock a lot more than the big ships!

Archived