Anybody Canceling Due To Airfare?

Toast1412

Booked for 6/11 on Dream out of Port Canaveral flying into Orlando.

We typically fly into Orlando or Tampa from Chicago at least twice per year and have never paid mor than $225 round trip over the past 8 years or so.

I know fuel prices are up but round trip for two is at $1,100+ today. We paid $2.6k for our cablin so at this price point for airfare the value becomes questionable.

We have 8 people going and now considering canceling and looking for alternatives. The same group of us went to the Valentin Imperial (Riviera Maya) all inclusive two years ago. We could actually see the cruise ships passing by on their way to Cozumel.

We can book that today for 7 days all inclusive including airfare for $2.6k or the cost of our cabin alone.

Anybody else been considering canceling your cruise due to the insane airfare to Orlando?:eek:

Next week we are booking either the Magic or Liberty for next February. I will be totally honest....I am VERY nervous about what airfare to TX or FL from NY for my family of 6 will cost. I hope that doesn't change our plans. We will be so upset! Hope everything works out for you!

We typically fly into Orlando or Tampa from Chicago at least twice per year and have never paid mor than $225 round trip over the past 8 years or so.

I know fuel prices are up but round trip for two is at $1,100+ today. We paid $2.6k for our cablin so at this price point for airfare the value becomes questionable.

We have 8 people going and now considering canceling and looking for alternatives. The same group of us went to the Valentin Imperial (Riviera Maya) all inclusive two years ago. We could actually see the cruise ships passing by on their way to Cozumel.

We can book that today for 7 days all inclusive including airfare for $2.6k or the cost of our cabin alone.

Anybody else been considering canceling your cruise due to the insane airfare to Orlando?:eek:

We booked ours a long time ago, aways try to have a cruise booked at all times, but we are fortunate, we get free airfare. Hope you can still go on your cruise!

Check out Air Trans I just took a quick look for June and found several for under 250.00 each

Have you considered driving?

After you add in the baggage fees most airlines are charging it's double the cost for us to fly out of Dulles/Washington airports to Orlande than it was two years ago. We kept checking flights and one Tuesday evening found round trip flights to Orlando for our March cruise for 157/pp. Baggage will be an extra 30/pp both ways = $120. I'd suggest that you be diligent about checking your flights and looking into every alternative possible, flying in two days early is a thought, although not everyone can do that. :)

Ms B

I'm not thinking of canceling due to airfare, but airfare does make a HUGE impact of my cruising decisions.

I examine the costs of getting to different embarkment ports closely, what day I actually want to fly in/out (sometimes it is actually cheaper to stay over or arrive an extra day ealier then I originally planned)...etc...

Right now I really want to do a southern carribbean cruise out of San Juan, but the airline prices are turning out to cost more then the cruise itself. Now I am looking at southern itineraries that leave from Florida to see if a longer cruise from Florida + airfare is more cost effective then flying to SJU.

So yes, I examine everything before booking, but won't cancel.

Unfortunately yes we did cancel our cruise that was scheduled to school vacation week here in Massachusetts Feb20th this year.

The airfare was outrageous for the 3 of us $1600.00 R/T

We won't take our daughter our of high school for vacation so this is what we face.

Oh well going to try again for next year on the Dream, hopefully we can buy airfare earlier and cheaper this summer.

I'm not thinking of canceling due to airfare, but airfare does make a HUGE impact of my cruising decisions.

I examine the costs of getting to different embarkment ports closely, what day I actually want to fly in/out (sometimes it is actually cheaper to stay over or arrive an extra day ealier then I originally planned)...etc...

Right now I really want to do a southern carribbean cruise out of San Juan, but the airline prices are turning out to cost more then the cruise itself. Now I am looking at southern itineraries that leave from Florida to see if a longer cruise from Florida + airfare is more cost effective then flying to SJU.

So yes, I examine everything before booking, but won't cancel.

Same thing here. We were primarily interested in the Victory from San Juan but the flights now are roughly $4500 for us 6!! More than the cruise & I'm sure by the time the schedules are up for next Feb, they will be more :rolleyes:. So the Victory for us is definitely out :(

AIR DEALS show up on Tues, Wed, and Thursdays. If you go to online travel sites.... they will start looking for you for a good deal on airlines. That happened to me. I noticed that several websites started sending me info on deals on air fares.

I was totally surprised at how they all started sending me the air deals.

I have decided to cruise just out of the west coast since I live in Los Angeles. I take the train to San Diego port for fun. I can also drive to San Diego. I live near the L.A./San pedro cruiseport and Long Beach cruise port. Every year new cruiseships come into town and I book those ships. I cruise for the fun I have on the ships.

Yes, flying is getting too expensive and I don't like the intrusive checking of my body at the airports when I am chosen to be searched. It would break my heart to see one of my grandkids be body searched.

Best not to fly with kids. Flying is getting ugly and expensive. That is just my opinion. We should only fly when we really have to fly.

Maybe using the train may be a better option with kids.

We (3)are planning on driving to Ft. Lauderdale for our Oct. Miracle cruise. We are going to St. Pete for 4 nights after the cruise so it makes more sense for us to drive. Hopefully gas comes down just a little.

I know fuel prices are up but round trip for two is at $1,100+ today.

OK, want to extend your vacation for cheap? Book AirTran one way from Midway to Sarasota, FL a day or two before. Book a one way return from Orlando. Find a nice accommodation in Sarasota (known for the whitest and finest sand in the world) and relax for a couple of days. (I see a place on Lido Key for about $60 since it's off season.) Check with one of the car rentals like Avis, Enterprise or Thrifty for a two day one way rental. You should be able to get it for about $100.

Airfare open jaw R/T: Approx $700

Hotel: Approx $150

Car: Approx: $125

Now for less than your existing airfare you have extended your vacation by two days and you have a jump on your suntan. Want to make it a real vacation? Join us down here a week before your cruise for the Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix! ;)

If June 11th is your date of cruise, I see where it can be done for under $300 p/p r/t from Midway on AirTran and other carriers for $320.00 p/p from O'hare either coming in a day early or day of sailing.

AIR DEALS show up on Tues, Wed, and Thursdays. If you go to ******.com and other helpful websites.... they will start looking for you for a good deal on airlines. That happened to me. I noticed that several websites started sending me info on deals on air fares.

Those sites are becoming less useful since a lot of airlines have pulled their fares. Check news.google.com for stories about ****** and airlines.

e.g. http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/07/business/la-fi-0207-travel-briefcase-20110207

Check out Air Trans I just took a quick look for June and found several for under 250.00 each

We typically only do non-stop when leaving on the day of the cruise but there was a first fight out at 5:25 getting to MCO at 10:16 that looks like an option.

$685.60 for the two of us which is $500 less than American. That must have just popped up since it wasn't there yetserday??

Believe it or not this time of year is probably the most expensive when it come to airfare because of school break over President's week I really do not know how families can afford it. I am single and I look for every deal I can when it comes to vacations but I do not fly during President's week. Good luck to all

Gary

Archived