Beer lovers: a list of brew pubs in every port

cardamon

This thread came from a suggestion by fellow beer lovers (Moose and Crewsweeper) that we create a list of brew pubs in every port. That way, we'd know the best places to gather before or after a cruise for great beer. Besides, brew pubs generally have the best food, too. And beer is food. Since we are from York, PA, we know the brew pubs in Baltimore very well! The following are recommendations from my DH (beer snob):

Baltimore:

Mahaffey's:2706 Dillon St.

Max's Tap House: 737 S. Broadway, Fell's Point

Pratt St. Ale House (formerly Wharf Rat): 206 W. Pratt St.

DuClaw's, a long time favorite, is no longer in existance.

Please continue this list by adding your favorites!

My city's full of brew pubs (we're very lucky :)) but it's hardly cruise ship territory. Otherwise I'd give you some good suggestions!

If anyone knows of good beer to be found at the European ports, fire away. We're going to be thirsty come October.

Not familiar with European ports or brew pubs but this site may help:

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewpubs-directory.asp

I do know there is a brasserie in Monaco's inner harbor that's a brewpub, can't recall the name. Also there's a place in Amsterdam, browsjki or some such, that brews in an old windmill.

In the Caribbean, Hammerheads in Georgetown Grand Cayman has a pilsner that's pretty decent.

Old Harbor Brewery in San Juan on Calle Tizol has a very good selection of a number of varieties, their IPA and Pale are very pleasant with good malts and hops.

Some folks like the Tap Room in Cruz Bay, St. John if you're over that way. Never been.

Also Ft Christian Brewpub in Christianstad on St Croix and The Plantation on Rodney Bay , St Lucia have fairly generic brews. Nothing to brag about but better than the big beers.

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking for a place to hoist a few w/friends before we get back on the ship in Grand Cayman. Found this place called Hammerheads. Anyone been there? Will be there in April trying a few micro brews after snorkelin!

It's a great atomsphere with good views, if you're down toward Eden Rock snorkeling. But very overpriced, as are most tourist places in Georgetown. Don't eat there, food is only so-so. Go to Breezes instead, albeit still expensive. Hammerheads often have only a couple of local brews on tap. A Cali Light is commonly there as is what passes for pilsner in the islands. If busy, service can be poor.

My suggestion is to try a Caybrew at one of the local eateries. If you're tendering from the Royal Walter tender dock, just head for the Liquor store in the shops and buy some singles and sit out on th eplaza and have a few. Include an Ironshore Bock in your purchases. Also a short walk to the smaller tender pier. If you're hungry, just head up to the store ont he second floor and get some great ice cream.

It's a great atomsphere with good views, if you're down toward Eden Rock snorkeling. But very overpriced, as are most tourist places in Georgetown. Don't eat there, food is only so-so. Go to Breezes instead, albeit still expensive. Hammerheads often have only a couple of local brews on tap. A Cali Light is commonly there as is what passes for pilsner in the islands. If busy, service can be poor.

My suggestion is to try a Caybrew at one of the local eateries. If you're tendering from the Royal Walter tender dock, just head for the Liquor store in the shops and buy some singles and sit out on th eplaza and have a few. Include an Ironshore Bock in your purchases. Also a short walk to the smaller tender pier. If you're hungry, just head up to the store ont he second floor and get some great ice cream.

Hey Sweeper-Thanks for all the tips! We are going to try snorkeling on our own from Eden Rock, Devils Grotto, and a couple ship wrecks...thinking the Gamma & the Callie, & maybe Cheeseburger Reef. That's the plan although we might not make all those spots, will see how the day goes. But I do like having a plan in GC where there's so many sites to snorkel.

Afterwards we'll cool off drinking some brewski. Will search out a Cali Light, a Caybrew, & An Ironshore! Hope to sail with you one day. I've read several of your suggestions/reccomendations helping folks out. Kudos to U.

If we ever do meet up, the first one's on me!

Dawg

In Juneau Alaska be sure to stop at the Alaska Brewery for some free samples. Be sure to taste their rough draft special of the day. And in New Orleans, Crescent city Brewhouse is a good stop to eat and drink.

Anyone know the best place to get micri brews in Key West? How about Nassau? This is urgent- have to keep my husband happy on this cruise so he will want to go again, and having his microbrews are essential to his happiness.

Anyone know the best place to get micri brews in Key West? How about Nassau? This is urgent- have to keep my husband happy on this cruise so he will want to go again, and having his microbrews are essential to his happiness.

In Key West, go to Kelly's at 301 Whitehead St.

Nassau, try Sands (or Kalik) at the bars. Sands is brewed in Freeport and is Bahamian owned. Kalik is brewed in Nassau by a large brewery that also makes the local version of Heinken and Guiness (2 million cases of Kalik brewed each year). For local bars try Cozy Corners over in Old Sandyport or head for Awark City (short cab ride from pier) and sit outside one of the places there. Cruise line crews head for Drop Off Pub on Bay Street.

Second Kelly's for Key West.

Archived