The Importance of Outstanding Travel Insurance

apollobeach

No one feels they will be landed off a cruise because of being ill. Last month, one of us became ill on a Carnival ship. In our opinion, to prevent liability Carnival "landed" or should I say completed abandoned us in St. Lucia.

We can appreciate the fact that most people can not identify with this and/or feel it will never happen to them.

We are both so grateful we had outstanding travel insurance.

Did you buy the cruise line insurance or seek an independent provider? Are there any particular rider(s) you recommend?

Hi Steve,

We use a company called Travel Guard:

Phone 1-877-255-7083

Fax 1-262-364-2203

They may be a little more expense than other companies but based on

our own personal experience; they are outstanding. Their staff is very helpful and caring. We simply contact them and book our travel insurance

on our own.

Best Regards,

Rick & John

We've used insuremytrip to buy Travelguard insurance. Travelguard staff were very helpful and it always felt like I was supported whether it was during a trip or afterward.

I think it's actually a great value. When I use the insurance offered by my travel agency for the cruise, I only have the cruise covered (and there seemed to be a lot more limitations when they pay -- such as I have to get my regular insurance to reject it first), but when I purchased independently so that it was the primary insurance during my travel, I didn't have to go through so many hoops to get reimbursed.

Also, as a couple both with demanding jobs, I liked that we could pay a little more for a package that covered car rental insurance, and even insurance for if our trips are canceled for work reasons.

My partner (now my spouse) and I have used Travelguard for many years, and I've been very pleased with their products and their customer service. Most important, we've had to file several claims over the years, including for the last minute cancellation of a cruise (about a week before sailing) because of a medical issue. They have processed the claims promptly and fairly, certainly one of the most important things you want from a travel insurance company.

One of the reasons we chose them way back when was that their definition of "family" included one's partner and his/her family. That was not the case with all insurers back then (and for all I know it may not be now). Always important to check any policy before buying, and make sure it includes the things that are important to your own situation.

Archived