Best way to get to Fort Zachary from pier - taxi or bike rental

World Gallery

Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Fort Zachary from the pier? We have kids ages 10 - 16 and would rather not walk. Is it possible to rent bikes right at the pier where the ship docks? Or is it best to take a taxi? Is so, are their taxi ready and waiting for passengers?

We are at the pier by Sloppy Joes (can't think of the name). The main one I think and we are on Carnival Triumph.

We dock at 10:00

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Fort Zachary from the pier? We have kids ages 10 - 16 and would rather not walk. Is it possible to rent bikes right at the pier where the ship docks? Or is it best to take a taxi? Is so, are their taxi ready and waiting for passengers?

We are at the pier by Sloppy Joes (can't think of the name). The main one I think and we are on Carnival Triumph.

We dock at 10:00

Thanks!

You'll be at Pier B, otherwise known as the Westin Dock. It isn't too bad of a walk if you know the shortcuts through Truman Annex, but I would otherwise suggest just grabbing a taxi. It will be the quickest and easiest way to get there.

• 5 months later...

The part I never remember exactly is the beginning---maybe someone else can fill that in, or when you're there, you can ask someone how to get to the Truman Little White House, which is in Truman Annex about a block or so from the pier. You walk past it until you reach a T, then make a right. Then the first left. From the pier, it's about 10 or so minutes to the gate to pay, but then another 10 or so minutes to the actual beach (but I walk fast).

Do not underestimate the walk to Fort Zachary. In the heat it can feel like miles. There is very little shade on the road from the entrance gate to the beach. I would take a taxi or rent bikes. As you pass all the people sweating on the way, you will be glad you did.

I must say I think visiting Fort Zachary is a waste of time for people who have never been to Key West. The beach is seriously over rated. While the setting is nice, the beach is more gravel then sand, and the water can be nice, but only if conditions are perfect, otherwise the water is cloudy and dirty looking. There are sharp rocks in the water so bring water shoes. My guess is most cruises have much better beach stops. I recommend exploring Old Town or taking an excursion out on the water and saving the beach for a cruise stop that actually has a nice one.

I think visiting Fort Zachary is a waste of time for people who have never been to Key West. The beach is seriously over rated. While the setting is nice, the beach is more gravel then sand, and the water can be nice, but only if conditions are perfect, otherwise the water is cloudy and dirty looking. There are sharp rocks in the water so bring water shoes. My guess is most cruises have much better beach stops. I recommend exploring Old Town or taking an excursion out on the water and saving the beach for a cruise stop that actually has a nice one.

I could not agree more. Key West (and the rest of the FL keys) are not know for beaches as they are all man-made and nothing like the beautiful sands of the panhandle of Florida. Enjoy Old Town Key West and save the beach stop for another port.

Mike

:)

I'm on the other side of this, as I love Fort Zachary beach, think it's beautiful and relaxing, and would much rather spend a day there than walking around the town. I do recommend water shoes because of the rocks.

Do not underestimate the walk to Fort Zachary. In the heat it can feel like miles. There is very little shade on the road from the entrance gate to the beach. I would take a taxi or rent bikes. As you pass all the people sweating on the way, you will be glad you did.

I must say I think visiting Fort Zachary is a waste of time for people who have never been to Key West. The beach is seriously over rated. While the setting is nice, the beach is more gravel then sand, and the water can be nice, but only if conditions are perfect, otherwise the water is cloudy and dirty looking. There are sharp rocks in the water so bring water shoes. My guess is most cruises have much better beach stops. I recommend exploring Old Town or taking an excursion out on the water and saving the beach for a cruise stop that actually has a nice one.

I agree too. If I was on a cruise that had other nice beach stops I'd save the beaches for those ports and do other things in Key West. I would only go to a beach in Key West on a cruise stop if a beach in every port was my highest priority. Also agree there is quite a walk without any shade.

As for how to get from ship to there, easy enough to figure out on google maps.

Archived