New RCL Commercial - stealing from Celebrity?

Mr. Luckytoo

I saw a Royal Carribean commercial during American Idol in which they were advertising winter terms and showing cruise ship scenes. For example:

Drafty windows - showing cruisers on their balcony

Dressing in Layers - showing someone snorkling

Slippery Sidewalks - showing someone on the Flowrider

Etc.,

The music and the way the scenes were shot...I liked it much better than the Why Knot commercials but I really thought the style and the music would have fit BETTER for Celebrity - especially with the X theme.

For those who didn't see it here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaje3jsBmoE

I did see the commercial on TV recently and thought it was very effective. Curiously though, it did make me think about X and wonder why I haven't seen any X commercials in quite a while. After seeing the new Royal commercial I'm hoping the ones for X will be even more impressive. ;)

Since they are part of the same parent company, advertising dollars are most likely going to be spent on the product that needs to be pushed the most.

RCI has many more rooms to fill when compared to Celebrity. In the last quarters earnings, RCI did say that the remainder of the year would have obstacles and the poor wave season is probably supporting the need for increased advertising.

An upscale product line like Celebrity is not going to suffer as much as the more middle of the road Royal. With Allure and Oasis they do have alot of beds to fill.

The first time I saw the ad, I thought it was brilliant but was surprised it was for Royal Caribbean. Like the OP, I think it's much better suited for the Celebrity product. It beats me how the suits at RCCL could choose such a winner while those at Celebrity thought X the Rules was the way to portray its product. Go figure!

Archived