What is your definition of smart casual dress code

Sue&John

We are doing a back to back cruise on the Golden in 2 weeks time, and we have been told that there are four formal nights and ten smart casual. Whilst I dont have a problem with the formal wear, can I still wear a coctail dress on the other evenings and not feel out of place. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sue!

Welcome to cruising. I think (IMHO) that a cocktail dress may be too dressy for the other nights. Most women will be dressed in a bit more casual attire-skirts, slacks and tops-not tee shirts or jeans. I wear a lot of the"Slinky" brand clothing and feel very comfortable.

I think a cocktail dress would be fine for Smart Casual…most of the other passengers won’t be dressed quite as much, but you can be the object of everyone’s eye.

You don’t mention what cruise this will be, but it sounds like it might be a Mediterranean cruise…from what I’ve heard, they’re a bit more formal than Caribbean cruises – even on casual nights.

I think a cocktail dress would be fine for Smart Casual…most of the other passengers won’t be dressed quite as much, but you can be the object of everyone’s eye.

Agreed 100%. So much better to be dressed a little nicer than some folks, than the reverse. And if you turn a few heads, so much the better. The dining rooms on the Golden seat how many? Hundreds ---- you will see all types of dress and there's nothing wrong with looking stunning!

Wear what you feel comfortable in. However, do not dress like you spent all your money on your cruise and nothing on clothes. The word casual should be taken out of that term. Casual is used so many times. What is smart casual, country club casual, elegant casual, business casual, etc.? Why not wear something that is really pretty, cute, dressy or whatever you have. Some people dress up and some dress down. Personally, a cocktail dress is very nice and I would wear one. Happy Cruising!!

PS I am English, too!

We are doing a back to back cruise on the Golden in 2 weeks time, and we have been told that there are four formal nights and ten smart casual. Whilst I dont have a problem with the formal wear, can I still wear a coctail dress on the other evenings and not feel out of place. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

I guess smart casual is the opposite of dumb formal? :)

Sorry, I just don't get off on getting all gussied up for dinner. But, I do it ... or else eat in the Horizon Court that night. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've worn basic black cocktail dresses for smart casual nights plenty of times.

But..my usual wardrobe for those evenings is a short black or blue skirt with interchangeable tops...usually sleeveless linen or dressy cotton types. I wear heals, too.

I like getting dressed for dinner.

I say go for it! As stated you'll see the full range of clothes on all nights (incl. formal) so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm bringing a long dress on my Sea Princess B2B, that I'll wear for smart casual. Its not fancy enough for formal but I like it and it won't bother me one bit if everyone else has slacks and tops! Plus it rolls up into quite a small space!

I'm going to go dressier than usual for smart casual only because some of my print silky slacks will take less room than cotton. I have quite a few, can interchange with a beige or black jacket, add a scarf or some jewelry, and take less clothes with me!

Geesh, Sept. is 6 months away and I'm already talking which clothes I'm taking!

Susie

Susie

Smart casual means that your shirt knows the theory of relativity; your pants can find the center of a triangle; and your shoes are fluent in at least two languages. And for the nerds, their pocket protectors are fluent in at least five programming languages, including Delta V.

Archived