What A Bad Experience Getting To Florida!

Tammy25

Well, we made it here...and it's gorgeous weather here in South Florida. We are staying at a Beachfront hotel right on Hollywood Beach and have an Oceanview room. It's truly awesome!! I lived in Ft Lauderdale for most of my life and never once stayed on the beach! My fiance' is loving it. He watched the sunrise right from the bed...I was still sleeping and he didn't wake me up :(

I am trying to keep myself together as yesterday was a BAD day. A long day of driving and flying. Taking a wedding gown on a plane = nightmare! Especially when flying US AIR! They will be getting a nastygram from me when I get back! We got so much attention from people at the airport since I was carrying a David's Bridal Bag so we got lots of Congrats! It was great!

At the check in counter they told us that they would be able to hang the gown on the plane and the crew would "be more than happy to help us and accomodate us" LMAO! NOT!

At the gate, I asked the crew member about being able to hang the dress and also getting some help with getting on the plane (possibly boarding early)...hahahaha...yeah right. She told me she would let us board in Zone 2 instead of Zone 5. Then we go to get on the plane and we had the flight attendants from hell! I asked if I could get some help finding a place to hang/place my gown. She said "we dont help with that " ..just find a place to lay it on top of luggage in the overheads" PEACHY! I struggled with the dress all morning. Now I have to worry about laying it "somewhere". My fiance' was of No help...he wasn't worried nor seemed to care. My son on the other hand did and was a huge help. He tried to be anyways.

When we went to get off the plane...the dress was a disaster! It was folded in the overhead for the flight. THe dress came off the hanger along with the train. It was in a ball in the bottom of the bag. My fiance' again..no help! My son was trying to help. We got off the plane and I was ready to cry. I wasn't feeling well from the flight and now struggling with the gown. WE get to the chairs and my fiance' says with an attitude "just let me fix it" because he wanted to get to baggage claim. My son told him NO..he couldn't see the dress! So, I took it to the bathroom..trying to get it back on the hanger by myself with NO help! Just people telling me what a gorgeous dress it is! UGH! I have a bad arm and holding the dress up was almost IMPOSSIBLE! I'm trying to keep it off the floor...wasn't working. Dress is wrinkled and has a stain on it now. I got it back on the hanger but by the time we got down to baggage claim, it was off the hanger again and in a ball. WE had a limo service pick up us. I was a mess!

At this point, I just wanted to cancel everything. My fiance and I had a blowout cause I was PISSED! I wanted to cancel. I just didnt care. My son took my dress (he's 15) to his room and fixed the dress back on the hanger and looked it over. He's trying to help. Honestly, I just am not in the mood anymore. I really don't feel like wearing it. I don't care if I wear a skirt and a tank top. I mentioned that last night..I said ..maybe I should just wear a sundress and he said "that would be absolutely fine with me" UGH! I went through hell getting this dress and getting it here. Now this. I just don't care. I am laying here looking at the ocean trying to relax. I just don't feel into it anymore. Now what?

969516531_RoomView.jpg.ec8348aa25250a5848116892830721f1.jpg

I'm sorry you're so stressed! I think a long walk on the beach is a great idea. Deep breaths. Remember, it's NOT about the dress, or the ceremony, or the cruise, or anything else external. It's not about the WEDDING. It's about the marriage. You're getting married. Everything else is icing, or crumbs to be brushed away and forgotten.

Good luck with the rest of your trip! Stay calm!

I agree with the gals above. Just take a deep breath and focus. Just think, maybe this is the worst thing that will happen! Maybe everyone thing else will go smoothly and you'll be laughing later thinking you were stressing over a dress. As long as you and your family get to be together and make memories, it'll all turn out ok!

Sounds like your fiancee' is going to be a great support to you whenever you need it after you are married. Any chance of ditching him and finding someone who is supportive?

That said, there is only limited storage space on the plane and lots of people with the same right to carry on space as you. Was there any place that they could hang it? If I brought a legal sized carry on and your dress was taking up all of the overhead space, I might send the airline a nastygram.

DON

Oooo... hang in there, and don't let this get to you too much. You, your family and your gown all arrived safely, if a bit worse for the wear. A wrinkly wedding gown is certainly better than no gown at all! If you checked it, they might have lost your luggage and your gown. Being the glass half empty girl that I am, I keep thinking how much worse it could have been. :o

So soak up some of that sun and oceanview, relax and keep in mind the best part that is still to come. You get to get married and go on a cruise! Cheers! :D

@ Donald that's wasn't nice...I believe if you don't have nothing nice to say then don't say it at all...Ditching him and finding someone that is supportive(harsh comment). In conclusion, I agree with the other Ladies, take a deep breath walk the beach and enjoy YOUR moment. Don't let nothing or no one ruin this for you. Congrats on your upcoming ceremony and can't wait to read your review:)

Maybe your post will be helpful to others, especially those wanting to bring their gowns on the plane. Sometimes, it just depends on who the flight crew is that day. Maybe you ran into people who'd been through nasty divorces :).

1. Don't ever believe phone agents or agents at the check-in counter; they have no authority or control over what happens on the plane. There aren't any closets in economy, so most people end up placing their gowns on top of other bags in the overhead bins. You can send US a "nasty gram" if it makes you feel better, but the FAs didn't do anything against US policy; although you may see an FA helping people with their luggage, they actually aren't supposed to. I am surprised they let you board in an earlier group.

2. How did it get a stain on it? Is there a cleaners there who can do a rush job and get it cleaned up and pressed for you? Ask the hotel.

3. Your son sounds like a sweetheart. Your fiance is like most guys, but it's sad it seems as if he didn't acknowlege your feelings or try to help.

What should you do? See if you can get that gown cleaned, have a drink and take a walk on the beach. You will laugh at this someday.

Everyone has given you great advice...except for ditching the groom. Take that walk, breathe and try to relax. I dislocated and tore the ligaments in my finger and hour before the wedding. But I wasn't going to let it ruin everything. Put your dress on and smile and no one will notice the stain. Little things are bound to go wrong (fingers, hung over kids in their 20's who should know better than to drink heavily the night before), but none if will really matter in big picture of things.

You son sounds awesome. Know that you have done a GREAT job with him and think of how great of a groom he will be on his wedding day.

Just B-R-E-A-T-H-E.......

Tomorrow all this frustration will be behind you and when you're looking into your hubbys eyes ready to say your I do's u will remember why you fell in love with him in the first place. Congrats and have a wonderful cruise!

Archived