Another Cruiser Fell........

sail7seas

We all now understand the purpose of your post starting this thread and what Irish was trying to do, both of you having the good intention to help KK. But entirely blaming other posters for where this thread ended up is a little disingenuous. No one was trying to "find a negative", but from the beginning, and especially since you gave so little information about this mysterious injured cruiser and then virtually disappeared when so many were being so helpful, led many to legitimately question what was going on.

It just didn't ring true from almost the beginning for many regular CCers, not all of whom even bothered to post. Unfortunately sometimes good intentions backfire. To perpetrate a thread which actually turned out to be a hoax, offer no explanation as people started to have questions about a very unusual original post and your silence afterwards when helpful posters just wanted to know more, and then blame everyone else and accuse them of gang-bullying you is just a little self-serving.

As you can see I'm new at this and obviously don't know what I'm doing. I tried to cut and paste (which I have seen on other posts) to respond to cruisin'girl - didn't work. Soooo cruisin'girl - have you never told a small white lie in your lifetime to surprise someone? This is all this post was - and now I've learned that cruise critic is not the place to do this. I will learn in the future. To just keep reading and not post.....I put Sail7Seas in the middle, which again, I will never do.

Erewhon - thanks. Just doing what my mother taught me - ha, and all those years she thought I was hopeless....

Irish

Of course I have, Irish, we all have. The problem with his little white lie was that it was too little. It needed to be a big enough one with appropriate embellishment so that it was believable. "I heard of a cruiser who fell and I want to take her food" and then nothing more, not even answers to questions asked by helpful posters, just wasn't going to cut it. There was no happy ending to this little white lie, so it just continued to be talked about.

Three followup sentences in one post would have ended this thread with no problem: "This cruiser is a neighbor who was to have left on a Princess cruise in a week, but slipped on the ice and broke her collarbone. I know her casually to say hello to, but thanks to you all helping me I have decided on the roast chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots and chocolate pudding. She loved it all when I took it over to her house last night and thanks all of you for helping me surprise her."

End of thread, all questions answered, and everybody's happy. When you start out with a lie, even white and little, you have to end it for those that got caught up in it. It was the quick withdrawal from the thread with no further information for posters who were replying and no closure as to the outcome that was the mistake. Sometimes silence is not golden. I don't know why Sail just didn't do this and the thread would have ended.

No one has anything but the highest respect for all you did for KK. I know she appreciates the food and all the effort you went to.

BTW, all you have to do is click on "Quote" at the moment of the post you want to feature in your reply and then type under it in the box that appears with the quote.

Of course I have' date=' Irish, we all have. The problem with his little white lie was that it was too little. It needed to be a big enough one with appropriate embellishment so that it was believable. "I heard of a cruiser who fell and I want to take her food" and then nothing more, not even answers to questions asked by helpful posters, just wasn't going to cut it. There was no happy ending to this little white lie, so it just continued to be talked about.

Three followup sentences in one post would have ended this thread with no problem: "This cruiser is a neighbor who was to have left on a Princess cruise in a week, but slipped on the ice and broke her collarbone. I know her casually to say hello to, but thanks to you all helping me I have decided on the roast chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots and chocolate pudding. She loved it all when I took it over to her house last night and thanks all of you for helping me surprise her."

End of thread, all questions answered, and everybody's happy. When you start out with a lie, even white and little, you have to end it for those that got caught up in it. It was the quick withdrawal from the thread with no further information for posters who were replying and no closure as to the outcome that was the mistake. Sometimes silence is not golden. I don't know why Sail just didn't do this and the thread would have ended.

No one has anything but the highest respect for all you did for KK. I know she appreciates the food and all the effort you went to.[/quote']

You had a choice as well.

You could have chosen like almost everyone else who responded to assume the best of intentions from the beginning, to not publicly speculate about the personal motivation of others, and to not second the use of biblical quotations to shame others.

But you chose otherwise.

As you said, "Sometimes silence is golden." Pity you didn't take your own advice.

Those quoting biblical verses might want to reacquaint themselves with Matthew 12:34 through Matthew 12:37. Or not.

Irish

You did a very kind and compassionate thing and you do deserve big Kudos (wheter you want them or not). Your heart was certainly in the right place , you wanted to make sure you would make something that would be enjoyed and used by Yonnie and Joe and went about finding what that was in the best way you knew how (asking Sail).

Sail out of the goodness of her heart wanted to eb of help and did what she thought was best by asking folks here .

Both of you are to be commended for your actions .

Then come the people that have to question and complain and comment about every little freakin thing.

There are some people that would have a complaint if Christ came off the cross and handed everyone a million doillars in cash. :)

"Ooooooh he didn't wipe his feet when he came in with the bag of money and tracked mud on my floor with his dirty sandals "

"Christ should know I have a bad back and can't carry that heavy bag of cash, he should have given me a check so I could take it to the bank easier."

Complain, complain, complain.

Ironin,

Don't feel bad , I feel the same way.

I think people who have to quote scripture or anyone else are just like stand up comedians who have to curse 6 times in one sentence.

They don't have anything original or interesting to say in their own words , so they fall back on the old reliables. And they think it makes them look intellectual.

Unless the people questioning and commenting want to get up and make a dish to bring over they should mind their business.

Where do I start? I'll try to make a long story short. I wanted to stay anonymous as I don't need any pats on the back. I'm the one who brought Yonnie and her husband, Joe, the food. I have not seen Yonnie for at least 5-6 years, but back then she not only told me about cruise critic, but gave me so many wonderful suggestions about my cruising - that I have not forgotten. Yonnie lives 8 minutes from my house (I never run into her anywhere with us living so close) - all I wanted to do was help in her time of need. I don't have a clue what Yonnie and Joe like, today so many watch what they eat. I couldn't call her on the phone, her number isn't listed. I didn't want to take something that would possibly go down the garbage disposal.

Soooo, knowing Yonnie would respond to an email (as she always does) I asked Sail7Seas for help in posting a thread to get ideas what to take to Yonnie, again, knowing Yonnie would respond - what better way to find out what she likes (I thought)..... Again, wanting to stay anonymous taking more food to Yonnie and surprising Yonnie again with more food.

So now it ends up some are flaming Sail7Seas for her post and it's all my fault and I feel awful for Sail. It ends up we're both helping Yonnie in our own way.

I apologize to Sail for getting her involved.

I don't post much, but want to thank you all for all the information I have gathered on CC. And hope someday I'll meet some of you on one of those Dam ships.

Irish

IRISH, you and Sail are both wonderful and neither of you have any need to apologize to anyone for going out of your way to help another human being, whether they are CC members or not!!

You've both stepped up to the plate to help another in their time of need and I Applaud not only the 2 of you, but all the other CC members who have jumped in so positively with suggestions for helping Yonnie and Joe!!

God Blesses those that act on the Golden Rule!!

For those that have forgotten that rule it is: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." You are doing just that!!

And for those VERY few who like to flame those of us who do like to do good things and post positively go ahead and quote my latest over on that other site where you love to bash us. You can try and belittle us, but you will never win against the goodness of our hearts.

Joanie

I hear where you're coming from, and again, my fault it even happened.

Irish

Irish, you absolutely owe nobody an apology, least of all anyone here. You are obviously a generous, warm hearted person. There is no one who would debate that and what happened here is all a matter of confusion and misunderstanding that really could have been righted early on, but for some reason it wasn't ... water under the bridge.

Any CC member who has not been here too long may not know how many times many have been made to feel like idiots. People have posted all sorts of convoluted, strange, unbelievable things and we have fallen for it time after time only to be made to feel fools.

Sometimes we forget that most of us don't know each other at all. I often say it's all words on a page, we can make up whatever we want, be whoever we want. Except for those I have met personally and have a personal friendship with, I am extremely wary of most people here as I am anywhere on the internet. Everyone should be.

This whole thing got out of control and mostly because of omission. It is puzzling that Sail never came back to post to the many who had offered up all kinds of suggestions. She could easily have wrapped up the story in one post. So it made a few people who don't know her suspect of the whole coincidence.

Just to make a few of you really mad .... judge not lest you be judged. I didn't put quotes around that because I'm not sure I got it exactly right, but you get the idea.

Speaking of convoluted, I have no idea in the world what Joanie is talking about in her last paragraph, but it is another example that there's a lot more going on than what we see here on the printed page. That's why I disappear for weeks at a time just scratching my head. Life is too short to spend it upset with people I'll likely never meet.

This was just a nice gesture on Irish's part on behalf of a well respected CC member. And at the end of the day none of the rest of it is really going to matter at all.:)

Irish & Sail - what you did was truly very kind for KK.

I can understand how difficult it was as KK was back on the boards, so you didn't want to give away the surprise.

Thank you both for your generosity and kindness to Krazy Kruisers and we wish Yonnie nothing but a quick recovery.

I knew that Irish wished to remain anonymous and it wasn't my place to relate any of the story. I would much rather have the usual style attacks than betray her confidence or to be the one to write something regarding the kind assistance to KK without Irish's approval. It was not for me to relate.

Most of you here know that when the attacks start, I rarely respond. I won't get into the mud slinging and ugliness. I have very thick skin, have survived numerous attacks and am prepared for whatever else may come. I made a choice to help Irish in her attempts to truly help KK with her kindness.

I feel terrible KK had this accident and missed her cruise and I have very much welcomed assistance in circumstances of illness and will always do what I can to help others in like situation.

I have no interest in anyone's approval or lack of approval. I was asked to help and it is just that simple. That's all there is to it and I state right now........

IF, IN THE FUTURE, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO HELP ANY OTHER CC'ER, BE THEM FRIEND OR NOT SO FRIENDLY, PLEASE ASK ME. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW I CAN HELP. IF IT IS POSSIBLE, I WILL ALWAYS SAY YES, and it will be my pleasure.

It is obvious how to reach me.

The 'whole story' is not always anyone else's business.

If anyone should feel "bullied" and "ganged up on," it is those of us who realized the story told by the OP did not ring true and called her on it.

A lie is a lie. Put lipstick on a pig -- you still have a pig.

Fabricating a story, even in the endeavor to do good, is still lying.

I'm not an "the end justifies the means" kind of girl. :rolleyes:

Apparently marching orders have gone out, the troops have responded, and they're on the attack.

Anyone who posted that this thread did not belong here (for various reasons) was targeted.

I guess those of us who are not in lock-step with the commander don't stand a chance.

Witness the number of views this thread has, versus the number of posts.

I find it very interesting.

Bottom line, this whole thread began with a lie.

I think it's time for it to disappear.

If anyone should feel "bullied" and "ganged up on," it is those of us who realized the story told by the OP did not ring true and called her on it.

A lie is a lie. Put lipstick on a pig -- you still have a pig.

Fabricating a story, even in the endeavor to do good, is still lying.

I'm not an "the end justifies the means" kind of girl. :rolleyes:

Apparently marching orders have gone out, the troops have responded, and they're on the attack.

Anyone who posted that this thread did not belong here (for various reasons) was targeted.

I guess those of us who are not in lock-step with the commander don't stand a chance.

Witness the number of views this thread has, versus the number of posts.

I find it very interesting.

Bottom line, this whole thread began with a lie.

I think it's time for it to disappear.

As you've been here on CC for quite some time, you are undoubtedly aware of the terms of use. If you think a thread or post is inappropriate, you have the ability to bring it to the attention of the moderators and ask that it be removed. Their decisions are final, though, and public debate about such decisions is not permitted.

Archived