Cambodia - Sihanoukville

segcruisers

Hi there, We were there last February 2010 on the Diamond Princess. We had a great time, the shuttle off the ship took us into town and then we hired a tuktuk thing and the guy took us all around for a few hours, took us to the beach first where we had a massage and a walk around then he took us to this lovely resort and waited an hour for us. It is a resort which is offered as a tour of the boat but we did our own thing and blended in with the guests and had an awesome time, had lunch and used the pool. We then went back into town to the markets and I bought a lovely diamond ring which so many people have commented on here. There is great jewellery there but you have to bargain.

We are a group of 6 people - My husband and myself with our 2 girls (10 and 12) and my parents (70s).

We are arriving in Sihanoukville in July 2011 and would welcome any suggestions for our day in Cambodia.

There is another long thread about the Don Bosco Hotel school in Sihanoukville. Following that suggestion, I organized a visit for 12 of us off the NAUTICA in January. The school did one excursion for 100 from a Princess ship.

Cambodia is a poor and struggling country.

Those who went to Phnom Penh wondered if it was worth the long drive. Ditto Ream Nat'l park. The snorkelling was also disappointing from reports. Angkor requires an overnight to do it justice.

We visited a local fishing village, the local waterfalls (a popular weekend retreat), a small temple which was unfortunately very poor and frequented by impoverished young children, and the main market. (counterfeit watches about $30 each) . Lunch was excellent- served by eager youngsters at the school and cooked in a spotless kitchen. After lunch, a visit to a local beach. The sand was fine and the water warm. Bring your bathing suits.

Total cost $50 per person plus $2 each for beer.

We walked about 1/2 mile to the port gate to avoid port charges of $20 per person. Our guide was very pleasant and spoke perfect English. The van was a bit small for 12 but two of our men were 6'4 plus.

We all agreed it was an educational and very pleasant day.

Contact Lukas at reservation@donboscohotelschool.com

Website http://www.donboscohotelschool.com/

We are a group of 6 people - My husband and myself with our 2 girls (10 and 12) and my parents (70s).

We are arriving in Sihanoukville in July 2011 and would welcome any suggestions for our day in Cambodia.

In the main, Sihanoukville (Snooky) isn't Cambodia as you'd expect it, its very much a new beach resort town, where folk come from Phnom Penh for the weekend.

As others have mentioned, PP is not really viable & certainly not worth the drive.

DIY is way best for fun & value.

For town/beaches a tuk-tuk.

We ventured just a little further so hired a minibus/guide at the port, cost about $60 for the vehicle for the day. Went to a beautiful waterfall (drivers will know it) on the way to Ream Nat Park (some wonderful new temples & carvings) and a boat out to an offshore island from near the park entrance (again, driver will know) for an afternoon on its beach. Cant remember cost of boat, mebbe USD 10 tops.

On the way back, a fishing village. Wow, what an eye-opener - the real Cambodia. Don't miss it

One minor snag. We should have berthed, with an 11pm departure, but were told that a broken-down ferry was blocking the berth so we'd have to tender ashore. And using tenders meant last tender back before dusk. Wrecked our plans for an evening ashore. C'est la vie. Then we found out that the ferry had been broken-down & blocking the berth for about a YEAR!!!! Just an example of why Cambodia doesn't figure amongst the "tiger economies". Will it be moved before your visit? Don't hold your breath !!!!

But you'll have a great day

John Bull

• 4 weeks later...

We had an absoutely fantastic time with the Don Bosco school tour...inexpensive, picked up at port, saw all the sights, small group, English speaking guide, great food, tour was outstanding!!!

Check out their website and if you need to know more contact me at colleen50@ymail.com I guarantee you'll not be disappointed.

we organised a tour to PP. this trip was the highlight of our 14 day cruise.

The drive was terrifying and long but the experience was worth every 'close our eyes and hope' moment on the drive to and from PP.

detailed description of our day can be found in our travelpod link (below) and then the 'legendary cruise down the coast of asia' blog

regards

pete

Archived