Self-Service Beverage Stations: Are they becoming a thing of the past on RCI???

SWLinPHX

After doing a 10-day ultimate Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Equinox followed by a 5-day on RCI Navigator of the Seas, I noticed some specific areas with the most apparent contrasts. I have posted my list of prime differences under both the Celebrity and RCI cruise line forums today if you care to read them.

However, something surprised me on RCI vs Celebrity. On Equinox there are multiple full-featured and self-service beverage stations opened 24 hours. You can even refill your own water bottles and thermoses to take back to your cabin. On Navigator, all beverage stations were off limits to guests and you had to request drinks or choose what had been poured and sitting out already in cups. And worst of all, unlike Equinox, Navigator did not have 24-hour beverages, just food (I'm talking cold, thirst-quenching beverages other than water and coffee or hot tea). I was often so thirsty late-nights/early mornings and longed for something besides water or hot drinks. Is that a more recent cutback? Last time I cruised RCI (way back in 2002 on Vision of the Seas) they not only had 24-hour beverage stations but it was self-service. I think all drinks other than soda & alcohol should be that way, as they still are on Celebrity. Are they that way on other lines like Norwegian, Carnival and Princess

Similarly (and conversely) there are no self-serve soft-serve ice cream machines on Celebrity as with many ships, but instead they did have a free ice cream "parlor" (counter) where you could get delicious and varying multi-flavored hard scoop ice cream (and soft-serve too), albeit only during business hours.

It might be a sanitary issue for RCCL, though I don't know why they would then allow it on Celebrity. People refill glasses they already drank from, contaminating the "push lever" on the machine. (Machines that use a button are better for this reason.) But I've never had a problem with a waiter filling my drink. And RCCL Cafe Promenade has self-serve coffee (with a push button). I've often wondered about people refilling their drinks at fast-food restaurants because of this same sanitary reason.

It might be a sanitary issue for RCCL, though I don't know why they would then allow it on Celebrity. People refill glasses they already drank from, contaminating the "push lever" on the machine. (Machines that use a button are better for this reason.) But I've never had a problem with a waiter filling my drink. And RCCL Cafe Promenade has self-serve coffee (with a push button). I've often wondered about people refilling their drinks at fast-food restaurants because of this same sanitary reason.

I don't buy that because 1) Their fountains do use buttons, not levers 2) My drink bottle never touches the spout, it just "sits" there 3) They allow it on their sister cruise line 4) They don't even allow self-serve via their own provided cups 5) Coffee is not a cold, thirst-quenching beverage 6) It is more unsanitary to have filled cups just sitting there in the open air, not to mention ice melting and watering the drinks 7) That still doesn't address why cold drinks are not 24 hours anymore, just hot ones

I never remember free sodas or self service beverage machines in the Windjammer. Maybe way in the past. Whatever the case...it's all about $$$ with RCCL. I can only assume that on Celebrity it's consider more upscale (higher fares) and older passenger base that just doesn't drink all that much soda to justify NOT have the self serve drink fountain for those that want it. Celebrity doesn't have tons of kids drinking soda. RCCL wants them to buy those soda cards and get refills from the bars. I don't think it has anything to do the health issues. Just my thought.

You can not compare RCI against Celebrity Equinox. They are in no way the same. You are comparing apples to oranges.

RCI does not provide and has never provided free self-service soda machines. They do, however, offer soda packages.

On our recent Enchantment cruise, there were two self-service drink stations located inside the WJ where you could get hot/cold water, ice tea, lemonade and 4 different flavored waters.

Radiance does have drink stations inside the WJ, but the drinks are already poured and are on trays.

On Radiance and Vision class ships, there is a self-service drink station outside of the WJ. There you can get hot and cold water plus usually iced tea/lemonade.

I'm really surprised to hear that you can not get anything to drink 24/7 on Navigator. I thought that Cafe Promenade was opened 24/7.

From the RCI website............

Cafe Promenade - Navigator of the Seas

Serving

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Late-Night Snacks: 24 hours a day

Costs

All meals (including regular coffee, tea, water, iced tea or lemonade) at the Café Promenade are included in the price of your cruise. Specialty coffee drinks, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices.

I never remember free sodas or self service beverage machines in the Windjammer. Maybe way in the past. Whatever the case...it's all about $$$ with RCCL. I can only assume that on Celebrity it's consider more upscale (higher fares) and older passenger base that just doesn't drink all that much soda to justify NOT have the self serve drink fountain for those that want it. Celebrity doesn't have tons of kids drinking soda. RCCL wants them to buy those soda cards and get refills from the bars. I don't think it has anything to do the health issues. Just my thought.

Wait, what did I miss? Who said anything about soda?? Not me.

On our recent Enchantment cruise, there were two self-service drink stations located inside the WJ where you could get hot/cold water, ice tea, lemonade and 4 different flavored waters.

Radiance does have drink stations inside the WJ, but the drinks are already poured and are on trays.

Yes, which is exactly what I explained above and don't like (seems more unsanitary sitting out in open air, not to mention wasteful and allowing ice to melt).

On Radiance and Vision class ships, there is a self-service drink station outside of the WJ. There you can get hot and cold water plus usually iced tea/lemonade. I'm really surprised that you can't get on a huge ship like Navigator/Voyager Class what you can get, even 10 years ago, on the smaller and older Vision Class ships.

Yes, my last RCI cruise before Navigator was Vision of the Seas with a little 24-hour beverage station at Windjammer.

I'm really surprised to hear that you can not get anything to drink 24/7 on Navigator. I thought that Cafe Promenade was opened 24/7.

Serving

Costs

All meals (including regular coffee, tea, water, iced tea or lemonade) at the Café Promenade are included in the price of your cruise. Specialty coffee drinks, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices.

I was just there. I saw no self-service (or even sitting-out) cold drinks at the Cafe Promenade: No lemonade, no iced tea -- only cold water from your sink, unless you ask I guess. As far as coffee and hot tea go, I have specified thirst-quenching (not hot), drinks many times already. The Promenade gives you all sorts of heavy food 24 hours, but nothing to wash it down with while eating, unless you want to slowly sip a hot drink which is obviously not the same.

I will sail Radiance Class or Celebrity or other cruise lines which many have indicated still allow for 24-hour and self-service beverages, as do most $10 all-you-can eat low-end buffet or fast food restaurants on land.

There are self-service stations on the Majesty. I believe this was something they were testing out and may implement on other ships. This was just soda though.

As for juice...we could go down to the Promenade Cafe and get ice tea/juice/water at any time (on Liberty).

Rome service is also available 24/7.

When I first cruised on RCI the WJ was open 24 hours although not always the food line. I could get my sport bottle filled with ice and water or tea anytime doing it myself. Now the WJ is open only specific times and they will not allow pax to touch the ice, water or tea dispensers. One time I went to where the glasses were setting out filled and poured two of them in my sport bottle only to be yelled out by the staff. You have to be sitting at a table and given the drinks by a waiter! I still go get my own drinks despite their complaining.

If you want ice and water, you have to get it at a bar. The IC offers ice water out of a container so just water and no ice. I always insist my stateroom attendant keep two ice buckets full for me. For some this may not be a problem but for those of us from the south, ice is required.

I agree with you on this and do not understand why RCI does it this way. This is one of the main reasons I prefer Princess since the HC is open 24 hours and you can serve yourself ice and free drinks (water and tea, lemonade at lunch, juice at breakfast). Princess also allows you to bring onboard your own wine. I took a case of wine on my last Princess voyage.

There are self-service stations on the Majesty. I believe this was something they were testing out and may implement on other ships. This was just soda though.

As for juice...we could go down to the Promenade Cafe and get ice tea/juice/water at any time (on Liberty).

Rome service is also available 24/7.

We had only hot coffee, hot tea and water at the Promenade Cafe on Navigator; I remember after sampling their sandwiches and pizza I was looking all around for something to wash it down with and that's when I realized there was only hot drinks (I eventually found some water). And yes, the older RCI ships like Majesty (Monarch, Vision and Radiance classes) have self service, which is one reason I was surprised all their new mega-ships do not. Also, room service with RCI (unlike Celebrity) costs money after midnight, and it is nighttime I am talking about when I am thirsty. I doubt anyone would pay a $3.50 surcharge or whatever it is every time they want a drink at night. I need refills (and my sports bottle)! On Equinox we could get not only coffee, hot teas, hot cocoa, etc. at a self-service fountain, but also 3 different punches and lemonade. It make sense when their buffets all keep a station open for pizza and 24-hour snacks that they allow you to drink something, if nothing else so that you don't choke. :p

You can not compare RCI against Celebrity Equinox. They are in no way the same. You are comparing apples to oranges.

RCI does not provide and has never provided free self-service soda machines. They do, however, offer soda packages.

On Radiance and Vision class ships, there is a self-service drink station outside of the WJ. There you can get hot and cold water plus usually iced tea/lemonade.

Serving

Costs

Yes, the promenade cafe is open 24hrs..no problem getting water,,coffee,etc...

Yes, the promenade cafe is open 24hrs..no problem getting water,,coffee,etc...

Man, I feel like a broken record... I never said you couldn't get coffee. People keep quoting some text they read from somewhere as if that changes how it actually was just a week ago when I was onboard and what I was also told by the staff. And yes, you can probably order lemonade or something from a waiter during meal time as it stated. Notice it said nothing about 24-hour drinks in your quote, and definitely not self-service, the two things I was referring to when I started the thread. The whole thing about having to take what has been sitting out even during meal times and their attitude about it really rubbed me the wrong way; being treated kind of like kids in a school cafeteria. I can see satxdiver had the same experience.

When I first cruised on RCI the WJ was open 24 hours although not always the food line. I could get my sport bottle filled with ice and water or tea anytime doing it myself. Now the WJ is open only specific times and they will not allow pax to touch the ice, water or tea dispensers. One time I went to where the glasses were setting out filled and poured two of them in my sport bottle only to be yelled out by the staff. You have to be sitting at a table and given the drinks by a waiter! I still go get my own drinks despite their complaining.

If you want ice and water, you have to get it at a bar. The IC offers ice water out of a container so just water and no ice. I always insist my stateroom attendant keep two ice buckets full for me. For some this may not be a problem but for those of us from the south, ice is required.

I agree with you on this and do not understand why RCI does it this way. This is one of the main reasons I prefer Princess since the HC is open 24 hours and you can serve yourself ice and free drinks (water and tea, lemonade at lunch, juice at breakfast). Princess also allows you to bring onboard your own wine. I took a case of wine on my last Princess voyage.

I couldn't agree with you more! :)

Okay so I have to ask this one more time, because I am even more mixed up!

I am on LOS sailing in 41 days (YAAA) TA to Spain, I have a five year old daughter, who other then a sip of soda has never in her life had her own glass of soda. Not to keen on starting now.. two weeks? Forget it, she will be a coke monster within days..

I was going to bring a sippy cup with a lid, and refill it with juice/water mix during the day (room service, WJ)

But now I am reading you may not be able to? I have never been on ANY cruiseline that did not have a self serve drinks station (hot/cold) on the pool deck. :eek:

T

Okay so I have to ask this one more time, because I am even more mixed up!

I was going to bring a sippy cup with a lid, and refill it with juice/water mix during the day (room service, WJ)

But now I am reading you may not be able to? I have never been on ANY cruiseline that did not have a self serve drinks station (hot/cold) on the pool deck.

From what I've gathered, the Monarch, Vision and Radiance classes do have 24-hour, self-service beverage stations, but the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis classes do not. That is probably not a steadfast gauge as they are always changing things on their older ships to match current policies and features. You will have no trouble getting juice or other non-soda/non-alcoholic drinks during the day, but you'll either have to ask someone or take the glasses that are sitting out pre-filled in the open air and fill it from there. They are apparently much more restrictive and less trusting in certain areas than their sister line Celebrity such as with beverages, towel check-outs, room-service fees, etc. I guess they are used to dealing with too many kids and families so they have started to run things where guests are more supervised and rules are enforced. That reminds me of being at grade school, so as a paying guest I won't be sailing certain ships again.

From what I've gathered, the Monarch, Vision and Radiance classes do have 24-hour, self-service beverage stations, but the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis classes do not. That is probably not a steadfast gauge as they are always changing things on their older ships to match current policies and features. You will have no trouble getting juice or other non-soda/non-alcoholic drinks during the day, but you'll either have to ask someone or take the glasses that are sitting out pre-filled in the open air and fill it from there. They are apparently much more restrictive and less trusting in certain areas than their sister line Celebrity such as with beverages, towel check-outs, room-service fees, etc. I guess they are used to dealing with too many kids and families so they have started to run things where guests are more supervised and rules are enforced. That reminds me of being at grade school, so as a paying guest I won't be sailing certain ships again.

Allure (Oasis Class) does have self-serve, non-soda beverage stations in the Park Cafe and Solarium. Maybe Windjammer, not sure.

I've seen the glasses of tea, juice, lemonade on Freedom class. I don't see what the big deal is, just grab one. They are not unsanitary, unless someone is putting their fingers in the cups or spitting. One difference is that you don't have to wait for anyone, just grab a glass.

Allure (Oasis Class) does have self-serve, non-soda beverage stations in the Park Cafe and Solarium. Maybe Windjammer, not sure.

I've seen the glasses of tea, juice, lemonade on Freedom class. I don't see what the big deal is, just grab one. They are not unsanitary, unless someone is putting their fingers in the cups or spitting. One difference is that you don't have to wait for anyone, just grab a glass.

To clarify, I am defining "self-service" as being able to fill your cup or water bottle at the fountain with the drink of choice and ice if you want it, as with any conventional land buffet, fast-food restaurant or convenience store. This last cruise on RCI was the first time that was no longer available. The week before this was all readily available on our Celebrity ship.

You can pick a pre-filled cup off the tray yourself or sometimes with a crew member manning the station, but my point is sitting out in open air is not less unsanitary than filling up your own cup at a push-button fountain, if that is their reasoning. Also, beverages sitting out may or may not have ice and if they do are often watered down if sitting too long. Finally, I think it would be a waste for their crew to pre-fill dozens of cups without knowing which drinks people want or how much they need. I just think it is a lousy system all together, and this is the first cruise of 5 where this is the new protocol.

To clarify, I am defining "self-service" as being able to fill your cup or water bottle at the fountain with the drink of choice and ice if you want it, as with any conventional land buffet, fast-food restaurant or convenience store. This last cruise on RCI was the first time that was no longer available. The week before this was all readily available on our Celebrity ship.

You can pick a pre-filled cup off the tray yourself or sometimes with a crew member manning the station, but my point is sitting out in open air is not less unsanitary than filling up your own cup at a push-button fountain, if that is their reasoning. Also, beverages sitting out may or may not have ice and if they do are often watered down if sitting too long. Finally, I think it would be a waste for their crew to pre-fill dozens of cups without knowing which drinks people want or how much they need. I just think it is a lousy system all together, and this is the first cruise of 5 where this is the new protocol.

Walk up to the drink counter.

Say to the worker (and there is ALWAYS at least one there):

"Excuse me, may I please have a fresh glass of iced tea/lemonade with/without ice?"

You will have one immediately.

WHY you need to be the one to pull the lever on the dispenser is something that utterly eludes me.

:rolleyes:

By the way, RC has now extended that hours that room service does NOT have a fee. I believe that it now begins at 2 a.m.

Walk up to the drink counter.

Say to the worker (and there is ALWAYS at least one there):

"Excuse me, may I please have a fresh glass of iced tea/lemonade with/without ice?"

You will have one immediately.

Although I have provided many reasons I will address your comment directly: First, there isn't always someone standing there. Second, that doesn't mean you have drinks available in the non-meal times or overnight or 24 hours. Third, you can't fill your own water bottle or thermos as we did on all our shore excursions, something that really comes in handy. Finally, some people like getting their own food and drink at a buffet, just like they do with the food anyway. ...enough reasons?

WHY you need to be the one to pull the lever on the dispenser is something that utterly eludes me.

:rolleyes:

See reasons above in this post or in the many previous posts. Don't strain your eyes rolling them though, LOL. ;)

By the way, RC has now extended that hours that room service does NOT have a fee. I believe that it now begins at 2 a.m.

Nope. Just came off RCI. Time was midnight or 12:30, can't remember which. We had room service late night as we watched movies in our cabin on Celebrity... no limit, no charge and awesome ordering system via the interactive room TV.

I was recently on the Navigator and noticed the drink station thing at breakfast, since we are used to filling our own glasses of juice on Carnival and Princess. I actually preferred walking up and grabbing a glass already out for me. It's not like it's been sitting there more than a minute or 2 getting all diluted, as they don't have hundreds of glasses out at once. I assume they do it this way because they probably go through less juice and lemonade. I can see some people being bothered by it being this way, but there are also people who would rather not have to fill up their glass like they are at a 10 dollar buffet or McDonalds when they are on a cruise either LOL.

As for Cafe Promenade at night, I spent a little time sitting there each night after midnight, and although I had a soda card, other people had no issue asking the bartender for something else. They do make mixed drinks, so orange juice is available, and of course, ice water is no problem to get there either.

I was recently on the Navigator and noticed the drink station thing at breakfast, since we are used to filling our own glasses of juice on Carnival and Princess. I actually preferred walking up and grabbing a glass already out for me. It's not like it's been sitting there more than a minute or 2 getting all diluted, as they don't have hundreds of glasses out at once. I assume they do it this way because they probably go through less juice and lemonade. I can see some people being bothered by it being this way, but there are also people who would rather not have to fill up their glass like they are at a 10 dollar buffet or McDonalds when they are on a cruise either LOL.

As for Cafe Promenade at night, I spent a little time sitting there each night after midnight, and although I had a soda card, other people had no issue asking the bartender for something else. They do make mixed drinks, so orange juice is available, and of course, ice water is no problem to get there either.

For the record, I heard the reason RCI stopped was that they were afraid of contamination, which to me is silly. You can get the same human fluids from reusing their glasses as well as your own water bottle. Besides, their fountains used push buttons where your cup just sits there under the stream, not pushed against a lever.

As long as you don't mind going to the Cafe Promenade, waiting and asking for a drink anytime that is fine. You can pay the $3.50 room service charge for a drink too I suppose. I personally much prefer the way it is on other ships (and was on older RCI ships) for the reasons I gave above. I loved being able to fill my water bottle and keep it in our cabin or take on shore excursions for example.

SWLinPHX,

I understand EXACTLY what you mean! When I first started sailing with RC, they had a beverage station set up outside the Windjammeer where you could get fruit punch, lemonade, and ice tea 24/7. There wasn't an attendant to dispense the drinks. It was all self-serve - you had to put your glass under a nozzle and push the button.

Last year on Serenade, my mom and I expected to have the same beverage choices available. We went looking for iced tea one night after a show. There was a beverage station outside Windjammer in the usual location, but the only things available were coffee and water. The water was available as cold or hot to make tea or cocoa. The dispensers that usually held the other drinks were all empty. We tried the Sea View cafe and a couple of bars but no one had tea. We were told that we could order iced tea through room service but would have to pay the $3.95 service charge. Even when we checked during normal WJ hours, the beverage station only had water and coffee. They never filled the other dispensers. :(

I had brought a couple bottles to fill with water to take on shore excursions. We ended up filling them with tea or lemonade when WJ was open so we'd have something besides hot drinks or water in the evenings.

I couldn't ever get a reasonable answer on why allowing passengers to push the button to dispense the non-water beverages was a noro risk but having them push a similar the button to dispense water was okay.

Hey kyriecat, it's nice to see someone who understands and experienced the same thing. :)

Providing food round the clock but making you work for a beverage to wash it down with is ridiculous. Actually, if only one thing could be 24 hours and self-service, it's much more important to have beverages than food. People eat and gain enough weight as it is, LOL. I appreciated our Celebrity cruise a lot more after experiencing all the changes RCI has made.

There is nothing preventing anyone from filling up their own water bottles in the comfort of their own cabin. The tap water is perfectly fine to drink. Make sure your room steward keeps you plenty of ice and wah-lah! You have a "thirst-quenching" non supply of beverage in your cabin.

There is nothing preventing anyone from filling up their own water bottles in the comfort of their own cabin. The tap water is perfectly fine to drink. Make sure your room steward keeps you plenty of ice and wah-lah! You have a "thirst-quenching" non supply of beverage in your cabin.

Cool... just as soon as they decide not to make food 24/7 I'll accept settling for water. Until then, I think the few grand I drop on a cruise more than warrants something you get at a low-budget buffet or fast food restaurant, on other cruise lines, and on other RCI ships, at least in the past. Obvious cutbacks and reduced service and increasing restrictions all around are not something I need to spend money for when I can get better elsewhere. It's called competition, and we have every right pointing it out, especially after leaving one line and hopping onto another the same week. Plenty agree with me, have experienced the same thing, and completely understand. Luckily there are forums like this for consumers to band together to discuss product ratings and business satisfaction on the Internet.

However, if none of this bothers you and you'll settle for whatever cutbacks they see fit while still paying the same for the cruise, then why even concern yourself with it here? Many of us still believe in consumer satisfaction and improvement through competition and alternative choices.

Archived