First Time Cruisers: Enchantment of the Seas in August 2011

klees4lh

My fiance and I are going on our very first cruise after I've finished taking the bar at the end of July. We're thinking of going on the Enchantment of the Seas 9 Night Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore (that way, we save some money because we won't have to fly). I have been reading a lot of the forum threads and you all seem to be complete experts -- I will take any and all advice you can give me - cabin location, balcony/outside/inside cabin, on-shore excursions (San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Samana, Dominican Republic; Labadee, Haiti), good restaurants, etc. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

If you can swing a balcony, it's a really nice way to cruise! I always try to pick a deck closest to where I'll be spending most of my daytime hours (for me, the pool!)...it really makes life easier if you can run up and down the stairs, rather than waiting on elevators!

Midships will give you a somewhat smoother ride, if seas get choppy.

What sort of things do you like to do? Beaches, shopping, physical activities....? Things like beaches and shopping are easy to do on your own...no excursions needed for those things! A guidebook on your ports will really help you know what there is in each place, and how to get to the things that interest you! It's really worth the time to do a little research! And, check out the "Port of Call" boards for excursions others have done...they can recommend private tours....less $$ than the ship's and fewer folks, in most cases!

Labadee is one of RCI's private beaches....it's basically a "sea day", but on land! A BBQ lunch is part of the day, and any sodas/alcohol you buy goes on your seapass acc't..just like on the ship. Lots of sun and shade....several different beach areas....keep walking past the 1st beach if you want to get away from the crowds!!!!

Remember, it's high summer, and it's going to be HOT and HUMID...especially in SJ....it's got to be one of the most humid places I've encountered! Bring water ashore with you!

And, for ALL outdoor activities....sunscreen...lots and lots and lots! A sunburn will ruin your vacation totally. Protect yourself! (You have no idea how many glowing, lobster-like folks you'll see by day 3....and they are miserable!!!)

We did this cruise last year in July. It was hot in some areas. We loved all the ports except Samana. Go to the board that gives info on ports. We did not have a good day in Samana partly because it rained and caused problems with every excursion. They had to delay leaving the port because so many people were not back from RCCL run excursions. Roads were flooded and electrical poles were blocking the road.

So if you can get an aft cabin go for it! Balcony is bigger and no more expensive. Whether you are in front back or middle of ship does not matter in terms of movement. If the ship Is moving you are moving lol

I prefer early sitting because late it too late and you are tired after a meal at 10 pm. If you go outside and get independent tour much cheaper than ship tours and usually more intimate. Be sure to be back 1 hour before sailing if not a ship sanctioned tour the ship will sail without you!!

Have a blast !!!

We always sail in an inside cabin. We spend almost no time in the cabin. We are there to sleep, shower and change clothes. If we want to look at the water we go where there are big windows or out on deck. There are many things to do. We really like the Trivia games. We use the money saved for excursions, bar tab etc.

First off, welcome to Cruise Critic!

The best advice on selecting a stateroom aboard Enchantment is to find a cabin in the center of the ship. These cabins are newer as they were added during the stretch. Inside or balcony? Because Enchantment is one of the older ships in the fleet it is also one of the best values so you may be surprised at how affordable a veranda cabin might be.

Regarding shore excursions. Fort San Christobal in Old San Juan is fascinating.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2738985-imago_theatre_portland-i

St. Thomas is great for shopping or a beach day at Magen's Bay if you've never been there before. There are lots of great tips on the Cruise Critic Ports of Call forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Samana may get an undeserved bad rap but I understand it can be a lot of fun.

Here's an independent tour service we're strongly considering as it offers everything from beach time to horseback riding..

http://www.toursamanawithterry.com/

Feeling adventurous? Check out the Dragon's Breath zip line (extra charge) while in Labadee.

Good luck with the Bar exam. A cruise is a great reward!

Archived