Lots of Fog in Galveston now

Raven Days

I arrived to today at around 4pm and it was rolling in quick and heavy. I just got back to my hotel and it was very difficult to drive. So if you are reading this be aware that there is heavy fog here right now.

Issued by The National Weather Service

Houston/Galveston, TX

Thu, Feb 17, 2011, 11:00 PM CST

... DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A DENSE FOG ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST SATURDAY.

AREAS OF DENSE SEA FOG WILL BEGIN SPREADING INLAND LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO 1/4 MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A DENSE FOG ADVISORY MEANS VISIBILITIES WILL FREQUENTLY BE REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER MILE. IF DRIVING... SLOW DOWN... USE YOUR HEADLIGHTS... AND LEAVE PLENTY OF DISTANCE AHEAD OF YOU.

&&

More Information

... DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT...

.AREAS OF DENSE SEA FOG WILL BEGIN SPREADING INLAND LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT.

We've also done the fog hop on Carnival Ecstasy. You circle the gulf as many times as it takes for the fog to lift. Then it takes another 2 hrs to come into port, dock, and start debarkation. But this ship has a great crew and staff and it is amazing how they do a really good job of getting everyone off and the next cruise on and going. Last time it happened to us, they opened the phone lines for free calls to make alternate travel arrangements, kept feeding us, showed movies in the main lounge, and let us stay in our cabins until debarkation was called. So we didn't get home til much later but everyone still had a good time.

I hope they all get in sometime tomorrow...all that marine traffic will be backed up into the Gulf. What a mess, but you know, it's that time of year down here! I drove up to Sugarland around 10 a.m. today and it was foggy all the way from Freeport to there. Then, out comes the sun and it was 78 degrees so it all burned off. I hope it does the same tomorrow!

I am cruising out of Galveston at the end of April. Are the fog issues usually better by then?

Fog along the Gulf Coast is caused by the warm air vs chilly water temps. By the end of April things are usually equalized and fog is not so much of an issue by then. It's more of an early spring, late fall issue.

Fog along the Gulf Coast is caused by the warm air vs chilly water temps. By the end of April things are usually equalized and fog is not so much of an issue by then. It's more of an early spring, late fall issue.

what about the end of March with the fog thanks

Archived