Galveston Port closed?

GreenZolie

The last information I can find online was updated at 9 am, saying the port is still closed due to the fog. But, I haven't seen an update since then. I presume this means the port is still closed and the Ecstasy is still not able to dock.

Does anyone know where I can get up the minute, accurate information? I don't want to go to the port only to be turned away or to just to sit there and wait for hours. But I also don't want to be late. I am getting nervous!

I also don't want to call the port, because I figure they are being inundated with calls. Any info from you all is greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I am looking at the web cam, too, and although it is much clearer than it was at 9 am, it is still pretty foggy. I guess this is the best way to figure out if the ship has docked or not. If I can't see it on the web cam, then it isn't there! lol

Thanks for responding.

Looks like the fog is rolling back in. Drove by the port around 11am this morning and all the staff were standing around waiting. Best thing to do if your in the area is to go over and ask the folks there. Don't know if I'd drop off all my luggage, might be a good idea to keep an overnight bag with you. We've had this weather here on the Island for a couple of days now it usually clears by mid-afternoon but today who knows..........:(

IMHO if your in Galveston waiting for the ship to come in.......make a reservation at a local hotel and see if they will hold it for you until 6pm tonight. By then you may know if you need a place for the night or not. If you wait until you need a room there may not be many available as a lot of folks drive in and stay tonight for the Conquest and RCI Cruises scheduled for tomorrow. This fog has been rolling in and out all day and as soon as it looks like it's clearing back it comes.

I'm sitting on the ship right now. We are about 5 miles out, port is closed. You can stand on the jogging track and u can not see the water slide.

Are they letting you keep your cabins or have they asked you get out? I hope for your sake they've let you keep them as well it can be crowded on that ship if everyone is sitting in open areas with luggage.

Yep, still looks froggy out there. This happened to us on a Carnival Ecstasy cruise in December 2009. We circled the gulf for more than 5 hours until the fog lifted. We finally docked and got off around 6pm. We got to eat another meal while the next cruise got $15 each credit. There was no change in their itenerary. They opened up the phone lines for free calls so passengers could make alternate travel plans. The cruise director and other crew and staff did a wonderful job of getting everyone off in record time. Sometimes ship happens!

Yep, still looks froggy out there. This happened to us on a Carnival Ecstasy cruise in December 2009. We circled the gulf for more than 5 hours until the fog lifted. We finally docked and got off around 6pm. We got to eat another meal while the next cruise got $15 each credit. There was no change in their itenerary. They opened up the phone lines for free calls so passengers could make alternate travel plans. The cruise director and other crew and staff did a wonderful job of getting everyone off in record time. Sometimes ship happens!

over on the web cam site a poster said her Mom is on the ship. Lunch is being served, bars are open with non-alcoholic beverages, baggage has been taken but they can still use the cabins. Movies are being shown. So it sould's like they are planning on getting in today at some point. But only time will tell. They could come in and not get back out! :( Good news if there was no fog around Christmas this past year! ;)

We are being told that we will get an update at 6pm. We have been given a 15pp OBC to cover lunch. Very frustrated that Carnival did not up date their website till almost noon. Talked to carnival csr and was told that they called people yesterday to tell them to not come to the port. Bold faced lie! I didn't get a call or email and I checked carnival.com this AM and nothing. I would not have checked out of my hotel if I had of known or been notifyed.

We are being told that we will get an update at 6pm. We have been given a 15pp OBC to cover lunch. Very frustrated that Carnival did not up date their website till almost noon. Talked to carnival csr and was told that they called people yesterday to tell them to not come to the port. Bold faced lie! I didn't get a call or email and I checked carnival.com this AM and nothing. I would not have checked out of my hotel if I had of known or been notifyed.

I agree we didn't get a call or email either.

2/19/2011 - Weather Update posted 2:30PM.

The Galveston area is currently experiencing heavy fog and the port is closed. At this time, the Carnival Ecstasy remains outside the channel waiting for the fog to lift. We ask guests not to proceed to the cruise terminal before 8PM. Please continue to check Carnival.com for updates.

We're sorry Mother Nature is not cooperating with us this morning. We look forward to welcoming guests aboard the Carnival Ecstasy!

this happened to us last year on the ecstasy March 2010 cruise. We were on the cruise and the fog never lifted that day and we ended up with an extra night on the cruise....a bonus for us but not good for those waiting to get on the ship. It was a 4 day cruise that was waiting for it and I heard they had to make it a 3 day cruise to nowhere and that they gave them $90 credit for the lost day and for not making it to Mexico. On the ship there is a lot of waiting but carnival did a fine job trying to entertain us and feed us. They updated us as much as they could from their communications with the port.

Archived