Galveston Port closed?

GreenZolie

I saw ETA 11:48 am for the Conquest. They are last of the 3 waiting to come in...Cannot believe it is so foggy there as we are just south of there on the gulf coast and the weater was beautiful yesterday...

Is it ever this foggy in April???

We were fogged out in April 09. However, not over night. We were just delayed a few hours. It happens, but still your chances are small that it will happen to you.

We've cruised out of Galveston 9 times and been fogged in or out three times. Once in April and twice in December.

The local news (ABC) reports the fog will burn off later this morning, their estimates are 11:00am or a little later. Today's high is reported to be 78 degrees, so mix in the wind and you can expect clearer skies.

As for a cruise to nowhere, it's a great deal. We did it over July 4th weekend due to tropical depression sized waves closing the port.

Galveston has few of these a year, with not much difference from other coastal areas along the gulf.

Cruise lines owe you a reasonable explanation at the port on what their plans are, but do they really owe cruisers a meal voucher due to acts of God like weather? I'm not sure.

Your fellow cruisers aboard also need to make travel plan changes, and if you booked your airfare through Carnival they will help you. Again, if you booked your travel on your own I am not sure they owe you compensation for things beyond their control.

You can rest assured those ships involved would like to get new set of passengers with a fresh supply of cash...

Call me if you need a ride :) we will be in Galveston for lunch after mass.

Hmmm... I'm sure, at this point, those ships unable to get in would be much more concerned about resupplying the ship than "a fresh supply of cash"....

I'm sure the delay in being able to disembark current passengers, screwing up their travel plans - and those waiting to board, losing time at sea consumes much more time and energy than "cash"....

I'm equally sure that none of us fully appreciate the resulting monumental problems delays like this cause for the company, the passengers, the longshoremen, the crew and staff.

I don't think "cash" is an issue.

God love ya G'ma...........as always M.O.M;););)

Hmmm... I'm sure' date=' at this point, those ships unable to get in would be much more concerned about resupplying the ship than "a fresh supply of cash"....

I'm sure the delay in being able to disembark current passengers, screwing up their travel plans - and those waiting to board, losing time at sea consumes much more time and energy than "cash"....

I'm equally sure that none of us fully appreciate the resulting monumental problems delays like this cause for the company, the passengers, the longshoremen, the crew and staff.

I don't think "cash" is an issue.[/quote']

The marine traffic website shows the three ships lined up in this order: Ecstasy, Voyager, Conquest. The only one currently moving is the Conquest, and she's just barely inching along.

That is what I ask earlier with the line up of ships the Voyager is coming in at 11 and the Conquest in at 11:48 then the Ecstasy at noon. Just strange. I know the Voyager always comes in ahead of the Conquest.

Still in houston at the hotel carnival bused us to. I was told by carnival that they are not sending buses back to get us until they know when the ship will be in. I am able to see the cruise cam and it looks much better down there did it did yesterday! I ask carnival when they would notify us about the buses and she said they will try to call the hotels we were sent to. I can't access carnival. Com from my blackberry so can some one post updates to thid this thread as they come out?

Still in houston at the hotel carnival bused us to. I was told by carnival that they are not sending buses back to get us until they know when the ship will be in. I am able to see the cruise cam and it looks much better down there did it did yesterday! I ask carnival when they would notify us about the buses and she said they will try to call the hotels we were sent to. I can't access carnival. Com from my blackberry so can some one post updates to thid this thread as they come out?

We are waiting to board the Conquest. We are still at our hotel in Galveston. It has cleared up quite a bit the last hour. The tracker isn't showing any movement much to speak of. All three ships lined up about 10 miles out. The Conquest is showing it is underway but at only .5 knot. So maybe we'll find out something soon. I will post here when I find out something.

We are waiting to board the Conquest. We are still at our hotel in Galveston. It has cleared up quite a bit the last hour. The tracker isn't showing any movement much to speak of. All three ships lined up about 10 miles out. The Conquest is showing it is underway but at only .5 knot. So maybe we'll find out something soon. I will post here when I find out something.

I don't see ANY info about this on the Carnival website.

Conquest is NOT moving at this time. We're dead still. It's funny, bright sunshine and less fog, but no movement. I'll post here when we hear more from the bridge.

All three cruise ships are still at anchor. Pilots have been dispatched, however, so we should see some action soon.

:)

Archived