Best places to snorkle? St Lucia, St Kitts, St Thomas, Antigua, Barbados?

penlanspice

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess in October and want to do a few snorkeling trips and a few island tours.

We have only been to St Thomas out of these stops.

Which places should I definitely see some of the island? which stops have the best snorkeling?

St Thomas

St Kitts

St lucia

Antigua

Barbados

Thanks

Sam

Enjoy! Contact them via their website, spelling out what you want to do and the amount of time available. If you have done no diving at all, they will likely need to either spend extra time with you in advance or ask you to do some work in advance. They are a 15-20 minute ride from the cruise pier.

You might look into whether your local dive shop, YMCA etc offers scuba lessons before the cruise. Failing that, a video or book will help.

Coki will setup your equipment, so concentrate on learning how to equalize ear pressure; control ascending/descending; clear your mask if water gets in; retrieve your breathing mouthpiece in case it falls out; kick effectively; and breathe slowly to conserve air.

Buy an underwater camera and ask the instructor to take souvenier photos. Tip the instructors.

Very easy. For example, clearing the mask of water takes 10 seconds to learn and 5 seconds to do. And their staff was very patient with me--I was certified, but had never dived in the 2 years after that.

Your local library, book store or dive shop will have a how to book--the faster you see how easy the basics are (again, don't focus yet on how to set up the rig or how to calculate time between dives), the more relaxed you will be.

I think my husband is getting a little worried now I might enjoy it to much and it's something that might cost him a fortune in the future...lol

I'm a husband and I know a wife definitely costs a fortune, and more :D

We've been to Coki Beach a couple of times. I went boat diving with the owner Pete and they were good. My wife/inlaws/friends tried the Discovery scuba at the beach. It was good. Afterwards we can all snorkel together there, and also enjoy the beach.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Can I resurrect this thread & ask which of these 3 has the best snorkeling? Or if there's none, should we do something else while there -- a tour or something?

• St Kitts
  • Antigua
  • Barbados

I'm not interested in scuba diving, or beginning scuba or anything like that. Just some cool snorkeling where we'll see lots & lots of fish & other cool stuff. If you can tell me who you snorkeled with & who to contact -- all the better!

We're leaving April 17 on Emerald Princess.

THANKS! :D

Mary Ellen, I should note that I went on a boat at St Kitts, but not at Antigua--perhaps there is a reef near Antigua which offers better snorkeling than their lovely beaches do.

I take it your cruise does not include St Thomas or Tortola, which offer some excellent snorkeling?

Mary Ellen, I should note that I went on a boat at St Kitts, but not at Antigua--perhaps there is a reef near Antigua which offers better snorkeling than their lovely beaches do.

I take it your cruise does not include St Thomas or Tortola, which offer some excellent snorkeling?

Not Tortola, but yes, we're going to St. Thomas & are looking forward to going to St. John (for the first time!) and snorkeling at Trunk Bay. And we're also going to Princess Cays, which usually has really good snorkeling right off the beach.

Thanks again for all the tips & info.

:)

On Antigua, I enjoyed the Antigua Rainforest Canopy Tour (ziplining)--they also offer a combo with a beach stop and our ship offered a ziplining; beach and snorkel sail combo.

On St. Kitts, people enjoyed a private excursion called something like Xtreme Adventure, which included a visit to the "Pillars of Hercules"

Both tours are reviewed on Tripadvisor

Barbados - Swimming with the giant sea turtles was a memorable experience. Sorry I can't recall who we booked through (independent) but it was an island tour/ snorkeling with turtles. We saw some isolated gorgeous beaches and visited all except one of the parishes on Barbados. Lunch at a local restaurant was included (flying fish). Bottom Bay is one incredibly beautiful beach. I would search for a "best of Barbados" tour that included both island highlights and a swim with the turtles option so you get the best of both.

Antigua - Not great snorkeling. Island tour with beach time is a good option (English Harbor, Nelson's Dockyard, blockhouse). Beautiful beaches! Unfortunately, it has rained every time we have been to Antigua (last time it was torrential downpours) so, we waited til we docked and found a taxi tour that included island highlights/beach.

St. Thomas - my favorite so far has been taking the ferry to Trunk Bay and Caneel Bay on St. John - incredibly beautiful there!!!

Hope this information helps.............

Barbados - on the swim with the turtles you also snorkel over a shipwreck which was pretty good.

St. Lucia - Definitely take an island tour and see the Pitons. We visited a waterfall, botannical gardens, sulphur springs/volcano, ate at the Beacon Restaurant overlooking the Pitons (must see), marigot bay, a bread bakery (best bread/cheese I ever ate!), and so many more places. The island is very hilly and the van ride gets long; but, so worth it!!! We toured with Serenity Tours and it was a fabulous day.

Barbados - Swimming with the giant sea turtles was a memorable experience. Sorry I can't recall who we booked through (independent) but it was an island tour/ snorkeling with turtles. We saw some isolated gorgeous beaches and visited all except one of the parishes on Barbados. Lunch at a local restaurant was included (flying fish). Bottom Bay is one incredibly beautiful beach. I would search for a "best of Barbados" tour that included both island highlights and a swim with the turtles option so you get the best of both.

Antigua - Not great snorkeling. Island tour with beach time is a good option (English Harbor, Nelson's Dockyard, blockhouse). Beautiful beaches! Unfortunately, it has rained every time we have been to Antigua (last time it was torrential downpours) so, we waited til we docked and found a taxi tour that included island highlights/beach.

St. Thomas - my favorite so far has been taking the ferry to Trunk Bay and Caneel Bay on St. John - incredibly beautiful there!!!

greenscooter,

Thanks! Great info. I'll have to look for that tour (and, I think I was on a website the other day, that sounded very similar, and now -- of course! - I can't find it again :()

We've been to Antigua before, and took a cab over to Nelson's Dockyard. This time, we've decided to do an island tour with Gordon.

St. Lucia: that sounds like the tour we've taken before with Cosol. It was so good we decided to book it again!

Thanks for taking the time to post. Good info! :)

We just returned and had a wonderful day on Sail Calabaza in Barbados. We first swam with the turtles and then snorkeled 3 shallow water wrecks. After snorkeling we were fed an 8 item buffet lunch along with non stop beverages. This trip was the highpoint of our cruise. During lunch we sailed up the coast and back before retuning to the ship. Gina,the boat owner keeps her bookings at a maximum of 12 people an often fills up quick so try to book early! This was our second time on this excursion and everyone from our roll call that went along with us loved it!

We just returned and had a wonderful day on Sail Calabaza in Barbados. We first swam with the turtles and then snorkeled 3 shallow water wrecks. After snorkeling we were fed an 8 item buffet lunch along with non stop beverages. This trip was the highpoint of our cruise. During lunch we sailed up the coast and back before retuning to the ship. Gina,the boat owner keeps her bookings at a maximum of 12 people an often fills up quick so try to book early! This was our second time on this excursion and everyone from our roll call that went along with us loved it!

Wow, that sounds great. Do you remember what you paid

Hi there,

Can I resurrect this thread & ask which of these 3 has the best snorkeling? Or if there's none, should we do something else while there -- a tour or something?

• St Kitts
  • Antigua
  • Barbados

I'm not interested in scuba diving, or beginning scuba or anything like that. Just some cool snorkeling where we'll see lots & lots of fish & other cool stuff. If you can tell me who you snorkeled with & who to contact -- all the better!

We're leaving April 17 on Emerald Princess.

THANKS! :D

Hello, I have some options...for Antigua we went to Turners Beach. There is good snorkeling to the left and around corner, also we swam out to little island as well. Even saw Octopus. St kitts...We have gone to cockleshell beach twice and heading there again in 2 weeks...they have good snorkeling as well to the left and around the corner..lots of fish and lobster...also saw my first cleaning station there. Barbados...have gone to folkstone national park which has good snorkeling right off beach and did Calabazza turtle sail last year...Gina the owner is really nice and had a good time but i prefer more snorkel time...i think we paid around 80-90pp. Dont remember , it might have been more. Hope that helps!:0)

• 2 years later...