JFK, LAG or EWR to NYC Pier

patseacruiser

I have a friend who wants to come with us on our Jewel 7/23 trip out of NYC. Their family of 4 is coming from Denver so my question(s) are:

Fly into JFK, LAG or EWR? Is there any hotels that have shuttles to the NYC Pier?

Maybe my question is what hotels have shuttles to the NYC Pier because once I know that answer I am familiar enough with NY/NJ to know what airport to come into.

LGA has no overseas international flights and few non stops from the West Coast. JFK has the longest runways on the east coast and for non-international flights that come in mid morning its not normally too crowded. Both JFK and EWR have international overseas flights and coast to coast non stops.

Its true LGA is the closest but frankly the small difference in taxi/limo or other costs, ts best to find the best fares and flight times than worry about getting the closest airport. LGA is the closest at 8 miles, EWR is 14 and JFK is about 20 miles. Depending on traffic(these are all non-traffic times) its 30 minutes from LGA, 35 from EWR and about 40 from JFK...with traffic its more and both JFK and EWR can take 1-2 hours by cab when the traffic is really bad. From LGA with a knowledgeable driver even with traffic it should never take more than an hour.

From LGA a cab is metered and about $35-40, from JFK its $45.50 plus toll and tip(about $60) from EWR a cab to the cruise terminal should also be about $60-80 with round trip tolls and tip. Both JFK and EWR have express buses that are about $15 pp to Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan and about another $10 cab ride. Both JFK and EWR also have a train way but you need to change at least once and then a cab with luggage the bus is easier. Going back to the airport from the terminal is the same except that going back to EWR from the Manhattan cruise terminal the cost is meter plus $15 plus round trip tolls(about $12.00) and tip around $80 in total....

normally limos charge about the same as a cab see www.carmellimo.com as an example....

as for free to the pier no hotel has that. The ones in NJ will arrange if for you but plan it to cost $80 or so each way. The free shuttles are only from close to the airport hotels back and forth to the airport. If you stay in Manhattan a cab will cost $15 or less from most places.....

I think that's going to be the only way to go is to tell them to stay in NYC and then cab it to the pier. If my house was big enough I'd say stay with me and then get a van over to the pier. So now I'm thinking maybe they can fly into EWR and get a hotel somewhere around there and a bunch of us will be taking a van or if need be I'm sure we can upgrade to a small coach and just have the driver get off by EWR hotel and pick them up as it's really not far from the turnpike and then continue to NYC pier.

Archived