Jewel Questions

bangzoom6877

We're sailing on the Jewel at the end of July and I have some questions.

1. Can you request to see all the dinner menus for the MDR for the sailing? This would help us decide which night(s) to go to a specialty restaurant.

2. What time does the fitness center open in the morning?

3. Could guests use the aerobics room when there is not a class going on in there? I am thinking of bringing my workout DVDs and a small portable DVD player. (I know, I'm crazy...DH told me that when I told him this idea!)

4. Is there a passenger talent show?

5. Could you get a table for 2 in the MDR? DH and I might go to dinner one night alone when the kids are doing the kids' activities.

6. Do they still have a separate area before you board for Latitudes Members? Our last cruise was in 2006 on the Spirit and they had this, along with snacks and coffee.

7. Does the lunch menu in the MDR change daily or is it the same?

8. Do they serve lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, or only in the buffet?

9. Do they serve you at the Blue Lagoon or is it self-service? Is it hard to get a table there?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions!

1. Can you request to see all the dinner menus for the MDR for the sailing? This would help us decide which night(s) to go to a specialty restaurant.

Never check to see. There may be a resent Jewel traveler with copies of the menus. Maybe you could call NCL and ask.

2. What time does the fitness center open in the morning? Don't remember

3. Could guests use the aerobics room when there is not a class going on in there? I am thinking of bringing my workout DVDs and a small portable DVD player. (I know, I'm crazy...DH told me that when I told him this idea!)

Can't answer this one

Don't remember any the two times I was on the Jewel

5. Could you get a table for 2 in the MDR? DH and I might go to dinner one night alone when the kids are doing the kids' activities.

Yes

6. Do they still have a separate area before you board for Latitudes Members? Our last cruise was in 2006 on the Spirit and they had this, along with snacks and coffee.

No "special areas" for Latitudes members, however separate line. There is a special area for "suite" guests.

Don't remember for the Jewel. However on the Sun the lunch menu stayed the same

Yes, just check the Free Style daily for the open MDR, or ask once on ship. Of couse the staff will try to direct you to the buffet. Just let them know you want the open MDR.

9. Do they serve you at the Blue Lagoon or is it self-service? Is it hard to get a table there?

They serve you. Only went once, no problem getting a table.

Enjoy your trip.:D

1. Can you request to see all the dinner menus for the MDR for the sailing? Yes, just check with the desk in the atrium. This would help us decide which night(s) to go to a specialty restaurant. Regular passengers, without a Concierge, can only make specialty reservations 24 hours in advance for those restaurants.

2. What time does the fitness center open in the morning? 6 am to 11pm

3. Could guests use the aerobics room when there is not a class going on in there? Yes, I've seen others doing stretch exercises on the floor area. I am thinking of bringing my workout DVDs and a small portable DVD player. (I know, I'm crazy...DH told me that when I told him this idea!) The small portable DVD player could also be plugged into the tv in the cabin to watch movies....

4. Is there a passenger talent show? Idol show, and karaoke...but I don't remember any other type of passenger talent show. There was a crew talent show one evening.

5. Could you get a table for 2 in the MDR? Yes, definitely. DH and I might go to dinner one night alone when the kids are doing the kids' activities.

6. Do they still have a separate area before you board for Latitudes Members? There is a seperate check in line, and VIP lounge....which sometimes accepts gold/platinum latitude members. Our last cruise was in 2006 on the Spirit and they had this, along with snacks and coffee.

7. Does the lunch menu in the MDR change daily or is it the same? Same lunch menu in the main dining room each day. Try the Blue Lagoon or buffet for another option.

8. Do they serve lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, or only in the buffet? One of the two main dining rooms, usually Tsars palace will be open on embarkation day...as well as the Buffet which will be a zoo.

9. Do they serve you at the Blue Lagoon or is it self-service? Is it hard to get a table there? The Blue lagoon is a sit down restaurant, with a wait staff. Not hard at all to get a table there.

Enjoy your cruise....

2. What time does the fitness center open in the morning?

5. No problem getting a table for 2 in the MDRs.

6. No. (Just a separate check in line.)

8. Yes they do. Well kept secret...shhh....

9. The "service" in the Blue Lagoon was atrocious. The only place on board where this was the case.

Have a great trip!

Updated for the Jewel as of this past week's recent 7 night NYC-Bahamas sailing: with changes being noted below -

#4. No pax talent shows on stage except for the Karaoke fun stuffat the Fyzz (noticed 3 VIP lounge - not sure if surcharges apply ??)

#5. Noticed much more tables for 2 and 4 in both Tsar & Azura (vs. other similar NCL ships we're on earlier like the POA, Star and Dawn) Very busy on Day 2 as it was lobster tail night and pax were asked whether to share a larger table at peak time.

#8. Azura, Deck 6/Mid was open for Embarkation for sit-down lunch, a crew member was "guarding" the stairs when we boarded around 1 pm TRYING to direct everyone to the buffet on the deck 12. We insisted and she yielded - wasn't crowded at all.

The buffet was a zoo all week long, except when we had choppy seas on Day 2 lasting into Day 3 sailing south. Tables & chairs marked for the handicapped pax were ignored & occupied by abled bodies. There is a marked off section set aside also for smaller children w. kids menu in the buffet, it was full - since we had 500 children onboard last week.

#9. Blue Lagoon - many more tables now since it's on deck 8 than the older BL typically on deck 7 & more crew assigned, but speed of service swing wildly after getting seated by host/ess. It's a quieter place vs. the zoo (oh, the buffet, I meant) and it seemed that NCL had eliminated several popular items on the all-day menu (fewer choices) .... going to check on my notes & compare menus to see :mad:

AND, on debarkation morning, Azuar was open for sit-down breakfast (instead of the MDR/Tsar) and it was quite busy in there - since it seating is less than the Tsar, but it's centrally located midship & easy to get to from everywhere.

Here are the Main Dining Room Menus and Freestyle Dailies from October:

http://www.thomaskelly427.com/ncl/MDR_Menus_Oct_Jewel.pdf

http://www.thomaskelly427.com/ncl/FreestyleDailies_Oct_Jewel.pdf

They are fairly large files (>75mb) so please allow a minute or two to download/view depending on your internet connection.

Here are the Main Dining Room Menus and Freestyle Dailies from October:

http://www.thomaskelly427.com/ncl/MDR_Menus_Oct_Jewel.pdf

http://www.thomaskelly427.com/ncl/FreestyleDailies_Oct_Jewel.pdf

They are fairly large files (>75mb) so please allow a minute or two to download/view depending on your internet connection.

Thanks for the menus. Clearly, in OCtober, there were different menus for lunch on a daily basis. Has that changed? :confused: I hope not!

Mine bad for previously posting incorrect info on which MDR was open for lunch on Embarkation - it was Tsar's Palace - deck 7, Aft and NOT Azura - my apologies. It was not crowded at all, hardly anyone eating around 1 pm last Sunday. Crew will try to direct you to the buffet, don't - it's crowded & hard to find a place to sit & eat.

Azura - deck 6, Mid was open for sit-down breakfast on Disembarkation day. It's busy & quite full, but you get to be served one last time you get to listen to the PA announcements and no kids running around & all over unlike the buffet.

The previous Jewel menu from 2010 looked similar to ours for dinner, it does vary and it's fine with us for it to be changed & rotated around.

However, the Lunch menu NEVER changed during our 7 day Bahamas cruise last week, it stayed the same all week and was getting boring - and the choice of selections could be better.

One last tip - while waiting to disembark, if you are waiting for your "color" to be called and already "vacated" your cabin - there are plenty of chairs & space to sit around up on Deck 8 around Blue Lagoon, it's not crowded & there are restrooms nearby - no need to stand around the Reception area/Deck 7. A short walk down the stairs as the elevators tend to be packed, if you can manage your own carryons and you can hopefully get to the gangway(s) without a huge line in front of you.

Happy Cruising & as the girls say, "Washy, Washy !!!!" :D

SDC7141.jpg.058d0f91bceea486904ba0220f01edfb.jpg

SDC7142.jpg.c2744d90fbe88fca84baa2618d11c053.jpg

Archived