Oasis/Allure rocking

sirius802

Hey guys! I'm new here to the boards and wanted to say hi! I also had a question for anyone who's been on Oasis or Allure? Does/did the ship noticeably rock or move at all? I've heard that it's so big that movement like that isn't an issue.

My last cruise was back in 2001 on Sovereign, and there were times where she rocked quite a bit! To me, it's all part of the experience! :P

Also! Random question. I have someone traveling with me who is 19. Over 18, under 21. He is not my child. Do I need a notarized statement from the parents saying he can travel with me? Or is that only for under 18?

Thank you guys so much!

I look forward to posting here much more often! :)

On my recent cruise on the allure there was some noticeable rolling (side to side) although the bridge said it was much less than one degree of roll.

I thought it was sort of pleasant. Here is a photo of the waves in the Beach Pool that morning. (Look closely near the tables)

DSCN1509.jpg

Sorry but I can't help you with the age/permission issue.

Hey guys! I'm new here to the boards and wanted to say hi! I also had a question for anyone who's been on Oasis or Allure? Does/did the ship noticeably rock or move at all? I've heard that it's so big that movement like that isn't an issue.

My last cruise was back in 2001 on Sovereign, and there were times where she rocked quite a bit! To me, it's all part of the experience! :P

We have cruised both Oasis and Allure. Oasis in June and Allure in December. Can only remember one time when we were at the forward of the Oasis once in June when we felt any real movement. Don't know if the months we cruised are considered calmer sailing waters accounting for lack of feeling movement or just locations when we were on board.

Also! Random question. I have someone traveling with me who is 19. Over 18, under 21. He is not my child. Do I need a notarized statement from the parents saying he can travel with me? Or is that only for under 18?

Thank you guys so much!

Actually, they don't ever move. They're so large that the earth revolves around them:D

My DH is concerned that Oasis/Allure is top heavy. I am trying to convince him for us to sail one of these ships and at this point he will not. Does the ship has anything like stabizers or something to prevent movement?

There was an occasional sensation of movement on Allure, but nothing on board moved except for a small movement of the water in the toilet. Our cruise was a bit windy but there were no rough seas. I think these ships move less than smaller ships, not more.

Both Allure and Oasis do have stabilizers, both surprisingly so they only have 2, where as some smaller ships have four. Quite simply the width of the ship helps prevent too much rocking and rolling. Although the number of extra bars around the ship enhance it. :D

My DH is concerned that Oasis/Allure is top heavy. I am trying to convince him for us to sail one of these ships and at this point he will not. Does the ship has anything like stabizers or something to prevent movement?

The larger RCL ships (Voyager class and larger) use aluminum on the upper decks and steel on the lower decks. That with the big hole running through the center of the ship (Central Park and Boardwalk) and the heavy machinery located predominantly below the waterline keeps most of the weight in the lower parts of the ship.

Also the Allure/Oasis are very wide, and have a height-to-width ratio that is better than the other ships, which means they are less apt to list.

But given rough enough seas, any ship will rock and roll.

The larger RCL ships (Voyager class and larger) use aluminum on the upper decks and steel on the lower decks. That with the big hole running through the center of the ship (Central Park and Boardwalk) and the heavy machinery located predominantly below the waterline keeps most of the weight in the lower parts of the ship.

Also the Allure/Oasis are very wide, and have a height-to-width ratio that is better than the other ships, which means they are less apt to list.

But given rough enough seas, any ship will rock and roll.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that technical detail. Hopefully this will convince my DH for us to book Allure/Oasis and get him off his excuse box!!!

We just got off the Oasis last Saturday Feb 19th and that ship rocked on most days more so than any other ship we've been on but we didn't get sick. Not sure if it was due to the high winds. It rocked at winds at 21 knots and one night the winds were as high as 44 knots. I'm not sure what that converts to in mph or km/hr.

Thank you guys so much!

The age of majority in the United States is 18 for all states except two. Those states are 19. What that means is simply, is that they have full legal authority over themselves, and the parent is no longer legally responsible for them. A notorized letter would be worthless, since the parent would have no legal ground to give permission.

If you are form Mississippi or Puerto Rico, you might want to check the age, because it might be 21.

We just got off the Oasis last Saturday Feb 19th and that ship rocked on most days more so than any other ship we've been on but we didn't get sick. Not sure if it was due to the high winds. It rocked at winds at 21 knots and one night the winds were as high as 44 knots. I'm not sure what that converts to in mph or km/hr.

We were on the same sailing and also noticed more movement than on any other ship but also did not get sick. Someone in our group mentioned that although the ship might have good stabilizers, maybe because it is so large also provides more surface area when it is windy and might make the many decks more like a large sail and thus cause more movement. The rocking motion made for good sleeps at night though. :)

The rocking motion made for good sleeps at night though. :)

One thing I love about crusing is the ship rocks you to sleep at night. I cannot wait until our next cruise.

PS awboater I told my DH what you said and he has now AGREED for us to sail the Oasis or the Allure. Now to pick a date! :) Again thank you.

When my kids were younger we took alot of cruises where they brought their friends. You must have a notarized letter from their parents as well as their medical information, that is extremely important in case of an emergency. Your letter should say that you have permission to make any medical decisions necessary. I never thought we would have to worry about anything like that, but our sons friend ruptured his appendix while we were out to sea and thank g-d we had all the right paperwork with us.

As big as Oasis and Allure are, the ocean is so much bigger that, under extremely rough conditions, you will experience some movement even when the stabilizers are in use. You are, after all, on the sea and should expect to feel a certain amount of motion, but it is really minimized to the greatest degree possible. If you are prone to motion sickness there are various methods available to you to minimize or eliminate its effect, but you need to take those measures before you sail or begin to feel the effects of mal de mer.

I too like the rocking of a ship. After two cruises, i can report no ill effects.

I am not worried about myself, but my sister-in-law, who will be going on her first cruise in February 2012 on the Oasis.

She is convinced that she will get sea sick. I will have to get her to think positively and take some precautions nonetheless.

If you are concerned about sea sickness, book a cabin as low and as close to the center of the ship you can. The amount of motion is less in those areas.

If you actually get sick, there are a lot of home remedies, but you can also go down to the infirmary and get a shot. But the best advice is usually to go topside where you can see the ocean.

Theory has it seasickness comes from your inner ear feeling the horizon one way and the rest of you sensing the horizon the other. The confusion causes nausea. If you go topside, your eyes will sync to your inner ear. Or so I hear.

I have a good friend that has a sailboat. Anytime he goes below decks while underway he gets sick. If he stays in the cockpit, he is OK.

Archived