Triumph - New Orleans - Beignet

tkabrk

I noticed on the posts that alot of people enjoy the Beignets from Cafe DuMonde while visiting New Orleans. I was just shopping at Fresh Market and found the Cafe Du Monde Beignet mix. Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to the real deal?

Thanks.

I noticed on the posts that alot of people enjoy the Beignets from Cafe DuMonde while visiting New Orleans. I was just shopping at Fresh Market and found the Cafe Du Monde Beignet mix. Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to the real deal?

Thanks.

I have, no it does not compare to the real deal....

The mix is okay.

This is better

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=50400000109955

The recipe uses yeast instead of baking powder.

I mix it up at night and use it in the morning.

When the kids were growing up it was a Christmas morning ritual.

The main thing with both recipes is to be able to keep the oil at the right temp.

Too hot and the insides will be raw...Too cold and the beignets will not puff up nicely and will absorb too much oil.

A deep fryer or a good electric fry pan and a themometer to monitor the oil temp are helpful.

Also if you put in too many at one time the temp of the oil will drop and the beignets in that batch will not be as good.

It's not hard but you kind of need to play with it a bit and be prepared to throw a few batches out or use them for dog treats or something.:)

the trouble for me is, that once you mix up that batter, you have to deep fry it. Deep frying is something I dont like to do at home, and dont do. I do however occasionally like to indulge in deep fried treats when I dine away from home. Love those beignets, but also love our local "beaver tails", especially this time of year, in my home town, whether I'm skating on the world's longest ice rink, or just watching others!:D

Archived