Free Cruise Offer

golfb4cruzing

I need advise from the seasoned and folks that were in the industry.

Received a card in the mail from a new travel company (internet based) that will give me a 8 day 7 night cruise for 2 (Carnival) with an outside cabin leaving from any major port plus they are throwing in 2 roundtrip airfares. This has to be too good to be true (like the old saying) I called the 800 number and they said that this companty is branching out and they spend their advertising dollars in this fashion. States no Timeshare or landbased sales pitch. Have to attend a 90 minute presentation at a local Marriott. Could not find the local company with Google. I signed up but still wondering.

Your thoughts?

I got that. they said free 4 day from Galveston, my choice was $179 pp for 4 day or $299 pp for a 7 day. I say ok, and sent the money. A year later they were still giving me a run around. there are so many dates you cant go, bait and switch to miami, I live in texas. I sent $358 for the 4 day, not flying to miami to do a 4 day.

I finally contacted BBB and they refunded my money, but I complained they had promised something and now they were not delivering. The company you send the money to, says they are not bound by the offer on the postcard, as they are a separate company and by sending in the money you agree to not hold them to the offer you got.

I finally got 4 days on Truimph (so I had to repay the $358 which they refunded when I complained to BBB), bottom deck, last inside aft, and ceiling and walls shook with the lound engine noise which including banging. The tv was green and didnt work. Usually a storage cabin for the cabin steward. They dared me to complain and pay full price for a upgrade.

PS the sale pitch was for a vacation company, not a timeshare.

Received a card in the mail from a new travel company (internet based) that will give me a 8 day 7 night cruise for 2 (Carnival) with an outside cabin leaving from any major port plus they are throwing in 2 roundtrip airfares. This has to be too good to be true (like the old saying) I called the 800 number and they said that this companty is branching out and they spend their advertising dollars in this fashion. States no Timeshare or landbased sales pitch. Have to attend a 90 minute presentation at a local Marriott. Could not find the local company with Google. I signed up but still wondering.

Your thoughts?

These offers are often very restrictive with additional fees to be able to go when you want. In addition sometimes they sign you up for a free trial in their vacation club for 6 mos. and then start billing you for it. Often these offers do no include port charges (which are include din your regular fare) and can be quite hefty. Sometimes the included airfare is from a certain city and anywhere else is extra.

Be cautious.

Remember, nothing is truly free!

Thanks fire that's my concern as well. Nothing turns up on Google and when I called back the 800 number to get the company's phone number, they said that all will be given at the presentation. But the presentation is 10 minutes from the house and thought I'd check it out. Haven't found anything for free lately. Card states I am responsible for applicable deposits, port charges and taxes and/or fees.

Thanks fire that's my concern as well. Nothing turns up on Google and when I called back the 800 number to get the company's phone number, they said that all will be given at the presentation. But the presentation is 10 minutes from the house and thought I'd check it out. Haven't found anything for free lately. Card states I am responsible for applicable deposits, port charges and taxes and/or fees.

By the last night, I was ready to scream from the racket from the engine. I had no idea there were cabins that noisy.

All the cruises from Galveston were premium, but it took a year for them to come clean on that. Cant pick within a week, or maybe its two weeks of a holiday, which lets out Jan and Feb.

The only time left is sept thru early dec to pick from ...and then they still ran me around. I cruised Dec 16 - 20...within a week of xmas after all, but I had to drive to New Orleans and pay the more expensive hotel rates there.

Port taxes and fees are a significant amount of you cruise fare. So many times I have seen people try this and end up paying nearly the same amount for a cruise as if they had paid full price. Be very careful about what you sign and ask all the questions brought up here before you do. i.e. What are the travel restrictions, black out dates, cruise restrictions etc before you sign up for anything. If they won't tell you before you sign.. RUN away....

Try searching for the phone number on Google.

Port taxes and fees are a significant amount of you cruise fare. So many times I have seen people try this and end up paying nearly the same amount for a cruise as if they had paid full price. Be very careful about what you sign and ask all the questions brought up here before you do. i.e. What are the travel restrictions, black out dates, cruise restrictions etc before you sign up for anything. If they won't tell you before you sign.. RUN away....

At the time Ecstasy prices started at $299 pp plus tax, so I knew that going in before I sent in my money. I knew it was still a deal.

Ecstasy prices have dropped some since then. If you dont mind having to fight with them, you will eventually get it.

ask waiting4acruise and his wife ..they did something similar... except they finally got ecstasy, but the year before I signed up.

Your thoughts?

nothing is free. probably the cheapest possible cabin and expect to pay hundreds in taxes, fees, etc. obviously you will have to use their travel agency and they might various fees, too.

if you decide to upgrade would have to go back through them and the price might not be a bargain.

you better believe that there will be some sort of a sales pitch, again with a too good to be true punch line.

"States no Timeshare or landbased sales pitch. Have to attend a 90 minute presentation at a local Marriott."

If it not a timeshare pitch what is the 90 presentation about? Sounds fishey to me, but I am a born skeptic and do not trust anyone.

"States no Timeshare or landbased sales pitch. Have to attend a 90 minute presentation at a local Marriott."

If it not a timeshare pitch what is the 90 presentation about? Sounds fishey to me, but I am a born skeptic and do not trust anyone.

I answered that question above how its possible. It was for a vacation club...which did cruises and worldwide travel suppposedly at a discount.

Of course it cost thousands to join the club. I think first they sell them outright..then they offer one someone supposedly wants to resell cheaper ..and cheaper.

I got one of those about a month ago, and noticed in the microscopic print that they have the right to book you on Carnival or "other". I have heard some horror stories in the past on what "other" can be... May want to check the fine print.

Sorry that's the extent of my pic insert skills. Never got into the cut paste insert and whatever else there is. (Just stopped using crayons last week.) Anyways, I will probably just cancel my reservation on it because I'm sure, as everyone believes, it's more hassle than it would be worth. The wife didn't believe it either. Thanks for everyones input.

I got the same card today! Mine offers an 8day/7night outside cabin for 2, leaving from any port, plus roundtrip airfare. I thought it sounded too good to be true, but I could put up with a lot for a free cruise, including airfare.

gagirl that's exactly the same card I received.

When I called to do some homework, the person speaking couldn't handle my question. SO her supervisor basicly said you find out when you get there, it's not bogus, and if you don't want it let us know so we can get someone else to go.

Last week while I was sailing on the Spirit, I got the call on my cell phone. I was concerned at first that there may have been an emergency at home...I text my daughter immediately. Fortunately, everything was fine with my family. I don't give out my cell # to many people, so I chose to wait to check my voicemail when we were back in San Diego. I still have the message on my phone. It is for a vacation company (no timeshare) it is for a 7 day cruise & includes rt air for two on America West. The location is in Palm Springs, CA. I live about 2 1/2 hours from Palm Springs. I don't plan on going to their presentation...I believe if it sounds to good to be true, it is!! I use to work in banking and it reminds me of how excited customers would come in with checks that were scams. I remember the disappointment on the faces of many, as I told them they had been scammed. I just found it ironic that I would get this call while I was on a cruise.

Your thoughts?

I'd trash can it.

These scams have been around for years... It's a time share push....

Plus, there is no such thing as free. They will have registration fees which they will pocket. Port Taxes, Gov't fees and gratuities are on you..plus some have booking fees....and other charges tacked on. You'll pay all the airline taxes and fees, baggage charges, etc.

In addition, you will have great difficutly in getting that "free cruise" and "free airfare"....you'll find that they won't "be available" for the dates you want...ever.

If they don't have an online website...and if they don't come up on google...that is a good indication that it's a scam..

Remember this: "A fool and his money are soon parted". Some wise old farmer said this a couple hundred years ago...and it's still true.

Archived