WDW and Port Canaveral

brazilgirl

Hi!

I am getting really excited about our next USA adventure and have a few questions for all you about Disney/Carnival Cruise trip.

We will be going on the Carnival Dream , leaving on January 21st. The ports are Roatan , Costa Maya , Belize and Cozumel...We´ve been to Cozumel , but the rest are new.

I´d love some tips about the best things to do in each port. We are considering the Ziplining/Cabe tubing in Belize , but I am a bit concerned about the 30 minute trek in the jungle , as we will be traveling with a big , diverse group.

We have been to Orlando before , but we stayed off the park grounds. We are really considering doing a resort this time. I am looking at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Port Orleans French Quarter (cheaper and being refurbished).I am in the planning stages , so open to suggestions!

Is it really worth it to stay in a resort?

We are palnning on arriving in Port Canaveral a day early in order to visit the Space Station...how much time should we allow for it?

Anybody been on the Dream? Did you like it?

Thanks!!!

Kim

The Space Center can take between 2 and 5 hours, depending on how interested you are in space. While I've never stayed at either of the resorts you mentioned, I've seen both and would definitely lean toward the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Because Disney will let you stay late in certain parks if you're a resort guest, I think staying in a resort is worth it.

Yes...if you can stay at DW, do it....they have their own shuttles to take you back and forth to the parks...and, you can get into the parks earlier and stay later than the general public...makes it nice and easy!

I LOVE Disney...you'll have a great time...it really is "magic"!

If you can work it out, staying in a WDW resort would be worth it. We have stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and loved it. The price isn't bad and the shuttles are great!

As far as the Space Center, it all depends on how much you want to see. There are guided tours and exhibits. I'd check out the website to try and gauge what you want to do. Do keep in mind that it is about 2 hrs from Orlando to PC.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous. I would stay there if I could. I agree, if you don't want to do much else in Orlando other than Disney, and don't want the hassle of renting a car, stay at a resort. The space station took about 4 hours for us. We did it as an excursion after our cruise, but before our flight home. It was really cool.:)

Have a FUN trip!!

RE: Belize

When we were planning our cruise to the Caribbean, cave tubing seemed like the fun and adventurous thing to do. The trek is a little hot, but not too bad. The river we were on (we did the excursion through Carnival) had next to no current. My feet were hooked under the arms of the person in the tube ahead of me, and I had someone's feet under my arms, and so on. We made it down the river courtesy of our guide who back paddled us. I have been told that there is more of a current and a little faster paced if it is around the rainy season as the river level is higher. And the drive is really long out there. Good luck.

Thank you all for the input so far!

I am soooo tempted to stay at a resort , I´ve contacted an agent and am checking prices.

Luvtravelbug...

Would you recommend the cave tubing? Or would have rather have done something else?

Please keep comments/recommendations coming!

Thanks!

Kim

We did this cruise and WDW last year. We went on the Carnival Dream and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (Next to French Quarter). We really enjoy the WDW hotels. Pleasnt staff and of course it's Disney and they do it right.

We flew down on a Wednesday night and took Disney's magical express to the hotel. They take care of your bags and bring them right to your room. We took the WDW transportation buses to/from the magic Kingdom and there is a boat that goes from Port Orleans to downtown Disney. We did one park and one resort day. On the resort day we went and rented a car next to downtown Disney and drove it to Port Canaveral Monday morning and dropped it off at a rental car office there. We got to the terminal at 10 and were on the boat by 11.

The ports you are going to are nice.

We went with our 2 kids (5 and 3 at the time) and had a blast.

Probably doing something similar this fall if we can make out mind up on what ship. May wait until next year and splurge on the Disney Fantasea Ship.

Rob Jen...

Very helpful info.We are planning to use the Disney Express too. I am debating about getting a car to go to Port Canaveral or a van ( we are going to be meeting up with a big group).

Can you tell me more about the Dream and the ports?

Thanks!

Kim

The Dream is a good ship. We had rough seas one day at sea and the ship handled them well. Shows were decent. Food was below average but then again allot of the lines are losing their good food appeal. Best free food is the deli in the back of the ship near the aft pool. Make a reservation at the Chefs Art steakhouse - This was AWESOME. The pools were not overcrowded and we found chairs easily. Ship was clean. The buffets in the morning were crowded. We had better luck going all the way to the back as many people went to the first few lines they saw. The kids camp was good for the kids. Kids keep asking for Freddy.

The ports

Cozumel - We like it there and usually go to Mr Sanchos or Paradise beach for a beach day

Belize - Waste of a port for us with the kids. To go to a beach we would need to go on an excursion as the ship is anchored way out and its ~30 minute tender ride to the port. Going to a beach would have cost our family of 4 - $240 for a few hours - NOT worth it IMO.

Costa Maya - the port is decent and we took a bus to the Mahahaul town (5 minutes away). The area was devastated by a hurricane a few years back and they are rebuilding. it was OK to see not great.

Roatan - My new favorite Island. Its what a Caribbean island should be - not built up, not commercialized and just beautiful. We did a island tour through Victor Bodden Tours and ended up at the West End beach - Absolutely gorgeous. We are looking into going there on a weeks vacation one of these years.

Anything else just ask away. Now I am got the itch to go away now. Thanks allot :)

Rob Jen...

Thank you so much for the Dream report. It will be my first experience on Carnival and I am curious.

I appreciate your input on the ports. Paradise Beach seems to get lots of favorable reports ...last time we were in Cozumel , we visited Chakanaab.

Kim

Thank you all for the input so far!

I am soooo tempted to stay at a resort , I´ve contacted an agent and am checking prices.

Luvtravelbug...

Would you recommend the cave tubing? Or would have rather have done something else?

Please keep comments/recommendations coming!

Thanks!

Kim

Belize in not an especially nice port. The cave tubing tour allowed us to see some country side and gave us an opportunity to get off the boat. We enjoy ports, and try to make the best of where ever we are. With that being said, I would have rather done something else. However, if nothing else interests you, cave tubing will fill up your time at port. If you are looking for something adventurous, this is probably not for you. If you want something that is interesting, you might still find it enjoyable. If we go back to Belize, we will not be cave tubing again, but I am glad we experienced it even though it was not the adventure we were looking for.

I would much prefer to stay in a WDW resort than off site. In 2009 we spent a week in Disney with the buy 4 nights get 3 free deal and then did a week long cruise. I would love to do that again! It's just so much more convenient than staying off site. Had originally planned on staying 3 nights but when that offer came up, DH agreed to it so I added those nights immediately. We also do the dining plan. We've stayed at Caribbean Beach (huge resort) and Coronado Springs.

I've been to Belize a couple of times and we did the cave tubing the last time we went in 2006. It was nice to do once but wouldn't do it again. We booked privately and we were also linked together in the tubes and the water was a LOT colder than I expected. It was fine when out in the sun, but not so great inside the caves. My parents and 3 older children were with us and they didn't think it was all that great. My youngest complained she was freezing! I liked the tubing better in Ocho Rios.

We did the zip lining in Roatan on the same trip and it was one of the best excursions we've ever done! Every one of us loved it.

And we went to Costa Maya which was in place of Cozumel (because of the hurricane) and went to the beach - much nicer than I expected. Enjoyed our day relaxing. Vendors can be bothersome - but not a problem. Not sure how much has changed since then.

We most recently went to Chankanaab in Cozumel to do the dolphin encounter with our youngest. Next time we'll probably go to Paradise Beach.

I've only stayed off site so I can't personally help. That being said I have several friends that have stayed all over WDW and they said the best was Animal Kingdom Lodge and they always recommend that to anyone. They and their kids always enjoyed seeing the animals outside in the morning, they said it was like they were on a safari.

The Boardwalk is the only one of those I've stayed at and it is gorgeous! You can walk to Epcot, take a boat to Hollywood Studios, and a bus to the other 2 parks. Plus, the 1920's style Boardwalk behind the hotel is lots of fun with a delicious bakery, awesome for breakfast.

I´ve pretty much decided the Boardwalk looks like the "one". The Animal Kingdom looks awesome , but it looks so far from everything and I like the idea of the boat....

I am thinking that cave tubing is going to be nixed and we´ll do something else.

It´s so great to hear from everyone!

Kim

Archived