NCL Sun - Aft Stateroom or upgrade to Mini-Suite?

missionblondie

My adult daughter and I will be going on our first cruise ever on May 8 (Baltics). On the advice of many on Cruise Critic, I have booked an aft stateroom (8th floor) and I am now wondering if it is worth it to splurge by upgrading to a mini-suite (NCL Sun).

What, if any, are the perks in doing so (other than a larger stateroom)? :confused:

No perks with a mini. Minis should really be called deluxe balcony. However, what type room have you reserved already? Is it a balcony? If so, the Sun balcony rooms are slightly larger and have more desk and storage space than do the other NCL ships. Also the couch is full length. The bathrooms are slightly smaller, but well designed to maximize useage and shelf space. The Sun balcony room balconies are also deeper than the other ships. The two of you should be very comfortable in a regular balcony room. However, I do understand that the Sun's minis are very nice also. There's a bunch of Sun pics at the following. I believe the first few have some balcony cabin pics.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/roganderson60/Sun/?start=all

I've had an aft balcony on the Jade and will again on the Sun. Wonderful place to be. If we don't have any smokers next door, we sleep with the door open and it sounds like waves at the ocean, just wonderful. Views are fantastic and there is plenty of room for two.

My little tip for women especially (take a hanging shoe bag with lost of compartments) for brushes, accessories, make up etc.

I can't address the difference between the balcony and the mini-suite, since we'll be taking our first trip on the Sun in less than two weeks.

I will say, however, that having done the Baltics on a cruise in a stern cabin, the views while leaving the different ports were absolutely spectacular! So if you are actually on the stern in a balcony, and not just aft, I wouldn't trade it for a larger cabin somewhere else.

:-) amcb

Aft as in on the stern cabin 8078 or 8278 or aft as the back 1/3 rd of the ship?

What is the location of the mini ??

I see by the various responses to my email that I was rather vague.

The cabin I presently have is 8278. I had initially been on the 10th floor midships balcony (0221) but after reading many messages on here about how wonderful being in an aft balcony I changed. I've already paid to upgrade once and so I'm fairly sure I won't do a further upgrade to one of the aft mini-suites (which was what I was looking at doing - 8276 or 8076. An upgrade to the mini-suite is an added $1,000 and by the sounds of it, probably not worth it.

Thanks for replying :D

I've had an aft balcony on the Jade and will again on the Sun. Wonderful place to be. If we don't have any smokers next door, we sleep with the door open and it sounds like waves at the ocean, just wonderful. Views are fantastic and there is plenty of room for two.

My little tip for women especially (take a hanging shoe bag with lost of compartments) for brushes, accessories, make up etc.

What a great idea, the hanging shoe bag... where can one purchase one? Would Ikea have them?

As for having the doors open to hear the waves, there's nothing better and hope there will be no smokers as well. I plan on spending some quality time on that deck.

Thanks again.

If this is your first cruise ever, you will be THRILLED with a Balcony Stateroom! I would totally save the extra money and use it for other things on the trip! Have a GREAT time!! :)

Thank you! I will... funny thing, my 32 y.o. daughter I'm taking on this trip is so excited because she gets to dress up each night! I haven't yet had the heart to say it is a casual type ship... but heck, there's nothing wrong with dressing up anyhow, right? ;)

Archived