Cruise Ships to dock in London (maybe)

Wasser

Article in the Sunday Times Business Section says that:

Enderby Wharf in Greenwich could see the return of huge cruise ships if Mayor Johnson gives a development the green light.

If approved, work is expected to start this year with the hope of it being ready in time for the Olympic Games.

Would obviously be a popular destination, so a lot of competition among the cruise lines for the berths.

Hmm, not sure about 'huge' cruise ships. There would be the QE2 bridge to contend with first, followed by the Thames flood barrier before getting to Greenwich. Then of course there are the tides....

I know some small cruise ships can get up past that part of the river, I think Seabourne??? have docked a fair way past that before.

Tilbury/Purfleet would be a better location, then a water taxi service to central London - Westminster area would be great.

Silverseas already operate some itineraries from next to Tower Bridge, but I have always considered Tilbury to be the London Cruise Terminal. Sailed from there in the 1970s - we had to disembark by tender !:eek:

I never knew that Tilbury used to be a cruise terminal. How long ago did ships stop leaving from there, or are there still some that do?

http://www.londoncruiseterminal.com/

It's still active. It was P&O home port for line voyages until the 1960s when their new ship Canberra was too big to transit there. When they brought over Pacific and Island and Royal Princesses for summer seasons in the 1980s they were based at Tilbury.

Archived