How formal do you get on formal night?

Neotericisis

Hey guys! I am new to CC and cruising in general, but let me tell ya- I am SOOOOO excited!! (I'm actually in my office on cruise critic instead of drafting some Wills ;)). As my siggy states, I'm setting sail in April on the Imagination, there will be one formal night. I was thinking of an evening dress, sleeveless, dark purple- mermaid type cut ( I saw one at a good price on sale at Macys LOL). No jewels, embellisments etc. Would I be over dressed? Should I just wear a knee length cocktail dress? What have you guys worn on your Fantasy Class cruise on formal night- I don't want to be the odd one out- but I do want to feel special! Oh, and men, feel free to answer too! Do you think my husband will be fine with just a business suit, or a button down, tie, and vest- I don't think he needs the full on tuxedo right?

Oh, I am 24 and I'll be going with my husband who is 26 if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys! I am new to CC and cruising in general, but let me tell ya- I am SOOOOO excited!! (I'm actually in my office on cruise critic instead of drafting some Wills ;)). As my siggy states, I'm setting sail in April on the Imagination, there will be one formal night. I was thinking of an evening dress, sleeveless, dark purple- mermaid type cut ( I saw one at a good price on sale at Macys LOL). No jewels, embellisments etc. Would I be over dressed? Should I just wear a knee length cocktail dress? What have you guys worn on your Fantasy Class cruise on formal night- I don't want to be the odd one out- but I do want to feel special! Oh, and men, feel free to answer too! Do you think my husband will be fine with just a business suit, or a button down, tie, and vest- I don't think he needs the full on tuxedo right?

Oh, I am 24 and I'll be going with my husband who is 26 if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

I have done this cruise on this ship many times. Go as you feel comfortable. I always bring my tuxedo along and sport it... Formal is formal to me, although over the past years, Carnival has laxed the guidelines and you will see t-shirts even on formal night. Most of the people are dressed to the nines, though.

And as for your husband - a sport coat or business suit is perfect. That is what most others will be wearing.

For you - a great dress will be awesome and you will NOT be overdressed...

Thanks for the replies! I am def. going to check out that link- I love to look at pics of people on their past cruises. I'll tell the hubby about the tuxedo- he LOVES to look all GQ :D. He will pack a business suit as well just in case though! I think I'll buy the evening dress before the sale ends- as long as I look good then I will be fine- after all, its not like I will be wearing a Cinderella ballgown (checked that off my list at the wedding :p).

Thanks for the replies! I am def. going to check out that link- I love to look at pics of people on their past cruises. I'll tell the hubby about the tuxedo- he LOVES to look all GQ :D. He will pack a business suit as well just in case though! I think I'll buy the evening dress before the sale ends- as long as I look good then I will be fine- after all, its not like I will be wearing a Cinderella ballgown (checked that off my list at the wedding :p).

BUT - I wouldn't spend any money to rent a tux... simply put, I own my tuxedos so for me it is a no-brainer... if he owns his, then hell yeah, don't bother with the business suit, you both go and knock their socks off!

BUT - I wouldn't spend any money to rent a tux... simply put, I own my tuxedos so for me it is a no-brainer... if he owns his, then hell yeah, don't bother with the business suit, you both go and knock their socks off!

Haha, he INSISTED on buying his tux for our wedding- the rest of the party just rented them! So he has one sitting in the closet that he hasn't worn since we got married! He has tons of business suits for work, so he'll just pack one of those- but I'm gonna convince him to wear the tux- why not! It'll be fun!!! He loves to dress up, as do I, so if we get stared at- it will be good stares :rolleyes:

short, inexpensive cruises mean that many passengers won't be very formal at all. I stopped bringing a suit on Carnival cruises several years ago. While you still see some men wearing suits, you see more and more men just wearing long sleeve shirts, maybe with ties. I still bring a blue blazer and match it with slacks and a tie though.

Save the tuxedo for Cunard or a similar cruise line where formal truly means formal

you will see a big variety of outfits on elegant night and as long as you are not in jeans or shorts, you will be let into the dining room, usually! I tend to dress nice for every dinner in the dining room, like how I would dress for work, and then on elegant night, I wear a dress like I would wear to church or to a wedding. I have a couple of dresses a bit fancier, worn on Christmas eve and in a singing competition, and I have worn them on elegant also. Like I said, you will see all kinds of outfits, so dress how you feel comfortable.

You will not feel odd in any formal, there will always be others in formals too. I wouldn't skip the jewels either unless you want to keep them safely at home. You're on a cruise if you want to dress up and feel fabulous go for it. I usually wear a gown for formal night and fit right in.

My husband alway wears his dress blues and I normally wear a cocktail dress. This cruise I plan on wearing a floor length dress.

While I was still in the military, I always wore either mess dress blues or whites...

Again - it is up to you, but I love dressing up, so WHY NOT! The people who say "Wait for a longer cruise" or "another cruise line" may be frequent cruisers and can do that. It doesn't sound like you are, so GO FOR IT! You will NOT be out of place!

Not to get technical, but there are no longer formal nights on Carnival. They are "elegent" . The only reason I am mentioning it is that I would not want you to consider what you will see on Carnival as what would be standard on other cruise lines that are truly formal.

Having said that, I will be on a Carnival Caribbean cruise in April. While I own a tux and love to wear it, I'll leave it home and wear a sport jacket with shirt and tie on elegent nights. My wife will probably wear nicer dresses, but not the formals we would take on a Holland America or Cunard cruise. On Carnival, you will probably see most wearing suits or jackets and ties, some with slacks and golf shirts and a few tuxes on the men.

My wife and I always dress for "elegent night". I wear the tux I bought when my granddaughter married since I don't get the opportunity too dress "elegently" very often. On a few occasions I even enjoyed the opportunity to wear my kilt in my family tartan.

Wear what ever makes the occasion special for you and your husband and enjoy.

Cheers!

For me it is a suit and tie on 7 night cruises. To save packing room, I reduce it to long sleeve shirt and tie on the shorter cruises.

I think Dh may do the same on our next cruise (a 3 day one). He usually brings the whole suit and tie, but this time I think we'll go more casual. He'll wear the shirt and tie and I will go with a cocktail dress versus a gown.

Three reasons why....short cruise will be more casual, we have enough formal cruise pics from our other cruises, and it will save some luggage space. That said, our friend who is cruising with us will wear his tux. Fine with me.:)

I think Dh may do the same on our next cruise (a 3 day one). He usually brings the whole suit and tie, but this time I think we'll go more casual. He'll wear the shirt and tie and I will go with a cocktail dress versus a gown.

Three reasons why....short cruise will be more casual, we have enough formal cruise pics from our other cruises, and it will save some luggage space. That said, our friend who is cruising with us will wear his tux. Fine with me.:)

Your DH will be fine with that attire. There will be some dressed up more than he, and some dressed up way less than he! :) He'll be right in the middle.

Your DH will be fine with that attire. There will be some dressed up more than he, and some dressed up way less than he! :) He'll be right in the middle.

He'd be fine in less, but I always made him dress up ;). I loved the formal pics, but I now have plenty. Also, he's lost weight and his suit jacket is too big (Yes, he only has one. He doesn't need them for work), so I can't see buying one for this weekend cruise.

He'd be fine in less, but I always made him dress up ;). I loved the formal pics, but I now have plenty. Also, he's lost weight and his suit jacket is too big (Yes, he only has one. He doesn't need them for work), so I can't see buying one for this weekend cruise.

You sound like my DW. I used to have to dress to the 9's until she got her fill of formal pictures. Now I'm allowed to escape with just a tie (no jacket) on the shorter cruises. LOL :)

Archived