How formal do you get on formal night?

Neotericisis

On our 8 night we had 2 formal nights and for one I wore a long gown and the other one i wore a short cocktail dress...hubby and my sons wore black suits and ties for both nights. There were a lot of people dressed to the 9's on both formal nights.

Now on our first cruise which was a shorter cruise on formal night seemed most was dressed up very nice but I wouldnt say as formal as the longer cruise...our upcoming shorter cruise I am going to wear the same thing as our other cruise, black flowing pants and a fancy sequin top and hubby will probably wear a suit (we are celebrating our 25yr anniversary so we will dress up and not care what anyone else is wearing)

To the op I think what you said your planning on wearing will be just fine and you will look great :) Enjoy your cruise!

We would ALWAYS,no mattter what cruiseline we are on, go full on formal! My DH wears a variation of his highland dress, ie kilt trews, full highland, "casual" highland, and I will always wear full length evening dress. I dont really care if folks think we are over dressed, and my DH always gets a smile anyway in his kilt, so...for us..full on formal! AND on casual nights, we are probably dressed as some would refer as "formal"..do we care..nope...as much as the guy in his string vest and flip flops sitting next to us! :D

We would ALWAYS,no mattter what cruiseline we are on, go full on formal! My DH wears a variation of his highland dress, ie kilt trews, full highland, "casual" highland, and I will always wear full length evening dress. I dont really care if folks think we are over dressed, and my DH always gets a smile anyway in his kilt, so...for us..full on formal! AND on casual nights, we are probably dressed as some would refer as "formal"..do we care..nope...as much as the guy in his string vest and flip flops sitting next to us! :D

Agreed - even on short cruises on non-formal nights, if I am going to the MDR for dinner, I dress in a collared shirt, slacks and dress shoes. After all, it is dinner... Just as if you were going to a nice restaurant...

I dont really care if folks think we are over dressed, and my DH always gets a smile anyway in his kilt, so...for us..full on formal! :D

I don't think you can be overdressed. Even so, better overdressed than underdressed. :)

My Dh and I also like to wear more than the minimum on non-formal nights. I think a collared shirt is the minimum I would let him out of the cabin in and I like to wear mostly dresses. My CC avatar was on a regular night. ;)

Since I am single there is no dress code for me I wear what I feel like as long it is neat and clean however I do dress up more than usual when I am on a cruise.

Ahhh - nice point. I am single as well and that actually makes me ensure I dress well... As my sister says "The only thing almost as sexy as a man in a military uniform is a man in a tuxedo who wears it well"... Call me crazy...

I don't think you can be overdressed. Even so, better overdressed than underdressed. :)

My Dh and I also like to wear more than the minimum on non-formal nights. I think a collared shirt is the minimum I would let him out of the cabin in and I like to wear mostly dresses. My CC avatar was on a regular night. ;)

I love the "I would let him out of a cabin"... lol nice touch

Hey guys! I am new to CC and cruising in general, but let me tell ya- I am SOOOOO excited!! (I'm actually in my office on cruise critic instead of drafting some Wills ;)). As my siggy states, I'm setting sail in April on the Imagination, there will be one formal night. I was thinking of an evening dress, sleeveless, dark purple- mermaid type cut ( I saw one at a good price on sale at Macys LOL). No jewels, embellisments etc. Would I be over dressed? Should I just wear a knee length cocktail dress? What have you guys worn on your Fantasy Class cruise on formal night- I don't want to be the odd one out- but I do want to feel special! Oh, and men, feel free to answer too! Do you think my husband will be fine with just a business suit, or a button down, tie, and vest- I don't think he needs the full on tuxedo right?

Oh, I am 24 and I'll be going with my husband who is 26 if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

I have dressed to the nines on some cruises and just worn a pant suit on others. It usually depends on if we are traveling with guests or as a couple. I have to wear ladies suits to work every day so if traveling with just my husband and myself that is fine. I don't like to take away from the experience of our guests though if we are not cruising alone. If you want great pics though, i reccomend you dress as formal as the picture you would want to produce.

We try to do as informal as we can without looking casual. I have a nice pair of black carpis, dressy black sandals and a light weight fancy top. With weight limits on luggage we try to go light. Plus, cruising has become less formal so we really dress down to nice casual that packs light. I hope this helps

Hubby always packs his tux and at least 1 suit plus a blazer that he can mix/match with other slacks/shirt, whether we've been on a 4 day, 5 day, or 7 day. Of course it makes a difference that he owns his own tux. The guys in our family are generally comfortable in their suits or tuxedos. Having proper fitting suits and a proper fitting shirt(neckline) makes a world of difference in how comfortable a guy is in them. They always look so great when dressed and I love that they know how to wear them well and can manage to sit down and eat etc in them when many others feel the need to remove their jackets or go change.

I usually bring at least 1 dress that is a ful length dress and 1 shorter cocktail length dress. For me ... I felt conspicuous and overly casual when I wore a pair of black slacks with a "cocktail' blouse on our last cruise. But that was just me.

Having proper fitting suits and a proper fitting shirt(neckline) makes a world of difference in how comfortable a guy is in them. They always look so great when dressed and I love that they know how to wear them well and can manage to sit down and eat etc in them when many others feel the need to remove their jackets or go change.

My Dh ends up taking his jacket off at dinner and then changing out of his suit altogether as soon as possible (you can tell he never wears suits to work). Seems silly for him to even wear a jacket if he's only going to wear it walking to dinner and then walking to the theater...maybe.

You'll find that most will dress for the occasion. Suiits, Tuxes, cocktail outfits for women, some will wear gowns.

I take a pair of dressy black slacks and pair them up with a couple of dressy tops and nice accessories....that does it for me. When my grandson cruised with me (from age 8 to 17), he wore a tux when he was little..when he outgrew that, a suit and tie.

Archived