News Flash-Splendor now skipping Maztalan!

gargoyle999

Don't delude yourself about Cabo being safe. Cabo has issues too but they are well hidden.

Well hidden:confused: Are you kidding....if anything, anywhere is happening in Mexico the media is going to jump on it. Don't kid yourself:rolleyes:

Mazatlan has bridges:confused:

Yes. And there were people hung right in front of everyone to see driving by. That I think was the final straw, so to speak, that made the cruise lines stop going there. Very similar to Acupulco, sadly, in the brazen crimes...

Go to cnn.com and google mazatlan violence and you can read all about it...

Yes. And there were people hung right in front of everyone to see driving by. That I think was the final straw, so to speak, that made the cruise lines stop going there. Very similar to Acupulco, sadly, in the brazen crimes...

Go to cnn.com and google mazatlan violence and you can read all about it...

I can honestly say I have never seen a bridge in Mazatlan and I have been there many times.......does anyone know where this bridge is:confused:

I also feel bad for the folks in the Mexican tourist industry.

Me too.

I too, do not recall seing a bridge in Mazatlan ( this isn't to say there isn't a bridge someplace....just that I haven't seen it).

I do know that there are places in Mexico that even the Mexicans from safe areas will not travel in...I just didn't think Mazatlan was one of those places.

here we go...

http://bluewater-greentree.com/mazatlan-mexico-bodies-found-hanging-from-bridges-in-popular-spring-br-p924-148.htm

and here is another article that talks about the hanging (last sentence) http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/travel/carnival-latest-to-cancel-port-calls-in-mazatlan-1304008.html

Me too.

I too, do not recall seing a bridge in Mazatlan ( this isn't to say there isn't a bridge someplace....just that I haven't seen it).

I do know that there are places in Mexico that even the Mexicans from safe areas will not travel in...I just didn't think Mazatlan was one of those places.

here we go...

http://bluewater-greentree.com/mazatlan-mexico-bodies-found-hanging-from-bridges-in-popular-spring-br-p924-148.htm

and here is another article that talks about the hanging (last sentence) http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/travel/carnival-latest-to-cancel-port-calls-in-mazatlan-1304008.html

I have read that article too. Note they just say a bridge in Mazatlan and then continue to say other bridge hangings in Monterey and TJ.......

Been to TJ and Monterey.....have seen bridges there......

Mazatlan....nope.....

Is there anyone that can tell us where there are bridges in Mazatlan:confused:

I can honestly say I have never seen a bridge in Mazatlan and I have been there many times.......does anyone know where this bridge is:confused:

If you really need to see it that bad send me your email, I will send you a picture(bodies and all)................not really a bridge, more like a freeway overpass

Please tell me where the freeway is in Mazatlan:confused:

MissDiva1: here is a list of recent events in Mazatlan (minus the pictures). I don't know where the freeway is, I have never been, it seems you are hard pressed to believe there is anything going on in Mazatlan. I just say be careful, make good choices, and stay safe.

2/23/11 Mazatlán – Gunmen throw beheaded body and dead pig in the entrance to the El Habal

restaurant. Head and body wrapped in plastic.

2/23/11 Mazatlan – Gunmen execute two people in the main entrance of a hotel in the Zona

Dorada. One victim identified as: José Cruz Sánchez Manjarrez (27)

2/24/11 Mazatlan - Municipal police officer, Juan Gabriel Morales Medina (38) executed outside grocery store.

03/01/11 Mazatlan – Five males found executed/tortured/hung from two bridges.

03/02/11 FEBRUARY EXECUTION STATS

135 executions in Sinaloa / 304 to date this year

28 executions in Mazatlan / 70 to date this year

03/04/11 Mazatlan – Gunmen burst into residence and attempt to execute two minors who were only wounded.

03/07/11 Mazatlan - Six gunmen fire weapons at restaurant "El Memín 3". No injuries reported

Mazatlan - Two unidentified males executed on the street in a neighborhood

Mazatlan - Explosive device found inside ice chest outside SSP building

03/08/11 Mazatlan – Gunmen attack “Habaleño” restaurant with weapons. No injuries

03/09/11 Mazatlan – Gunmen in two vehicles attack people outside “Antares” nightclub located on the Avenida Del Mar seaside promenade (tourist area). Six dead, at least 20 wounded.

03/14/11 Mazatlan (La Noria) - Two brothers executed. One victim was 16 years old

Mazatlan - Two unidentified bodies found covered in tortillas

03/17/11 Mazatlan - Gun battle between MX military and gunmen after kidnapping. Ramón Humberto Castro wounded/arrested. Police transport wounded gunman to hospital and gunmen fail in an attempt to rescue Ramon at the hospital

Mazatlan - Executed body found on Sunday, covered in tortillas identified as David Arturo (17)

Highway 15 in Mazatlan has bridges, just found it (with pictures) on google

Highway 15 in Mazatlan has bridges, just found it (with pictures) on google

I have heard about some of the others.....like the nightclub killing and know that was major drug related.

But I'm wondering where this hanging was. I know that highway travels to Guadalajara which is where most of the crime is coming from. Because there are no bridges in Mazatlan where any tourist would be. I just find it odd that they report bodies hanging from bridge in Mazatlan and don't say where the location is like the others...

Friends of ours that own a timeshare in Mazatlan said the singer that was killed at that nightclub sang songs about crime and gangs. And the owner of the club was big in drugs....

What a shame.

I have heard about some of the others.....like the nightclub killing and know that was major drug related.

But I'm wondering where this hanging was. I know that highway travels to Guadalajara which is where most of the crime is coming from. Because there are no bridges in Mazatlan where any tourist would be. I just find it odd that they report bodies hanging from bridge in Mazatlan and don't say where the location is like the others...

Friends of ours that own a timeshare in Mazatlan said the singer that was killed at that nightclub sang songs about crime and gangs. And the owner of the club was big in drugs....

What a shame.

It is a shame......and let me make one thing clear, I am not a Mexico basher. I have grown up in Southern California (San Ysidro and Chula Vista) in towns that practically are Mexico. I love Mexico, I love the people, I love the culture, and under some minor protest (to my wife and kids) I will be sailing the Mexican Rivera very soon. with that said.......Mexico is in the middle of a nasty, violent, and shockingly brutal power struggle right now over drug routes to the US. Mazatlan unfortunately is catching its share of this power struggle and has been deemed (in my opinion rightfully so) by the cruise industry as unsafe. And I know that some people will respond with, " LA has murders ever day.....Chicago...Detroit.....I feel safer in Mexico then I do in Miami"....I get it.....but when was the last time you saw heads being left on the street in Miami, skinned bodies in the streets of Chicago, people hanging from bridges in LA, or hand grenades being thrown into crowded nightclubs in the US. This is what the cruise industry is trying to protect you from seeing, or in the worst case scenario, being caught in the crossfire of............

It is a shame......and let me make one thing clear, I am not a Mexico basher. I have grown up in Southern California (San Ysidro and Chula Vista) in towns that practically are Mexico. I love Mexico, I love the people, I love the culture, and under some minor protest (to my wife and kids) I will be sailing the Mexican Rivera very soon. with that said.......Mexico is in the middle of a nasty, violent, and shockingly brutal power struggle right now over drug routes to the US. Mazatlan unfortunately is catching its share of this power struggle and has been deemed (in my opinion rightfully so) by the cruise industry as unsafe. And I know that some people will respond with, " LA has murders ever day.....Chicago...Detroit.....I feel safer in Mexico then I do in Miami"....I get it.....but when was the last time you saw heads being left on the street in Miami, skinned bodies in the streets of Chicago, people hanging from bridges in LA, or hand grenades being thrown into crowded nightclubs in the US. This is what the cruise industry is trying to protect you from seeing, or in the worst case scenario, being caught in the crossfire of............

See this is what grips me.........there are no bridges in the streets of Mazatlan to hang bodies......comments like this puts dilusional pictures in peoples minds. And I also hate when people say MEXICO is in the middle of nasty violence.......do you know HOW BIG MEXICO is:confused: Yes they are having nasty violence in various parts of Mexico.

By your discription you make it sound like when you leave the port and catch a taxi you are going to be exposed to this. Especially with your comments regarding Miami.

I am behind the cruise industries decision 100% also. But comments like this do nothing but cause wrongful fear. Stay away from where the violence is but the violence is not the whole country of Mexico...

See this is what grips me.........there are no bridges in the streets of Mazatlan to hang bodies......comments like this puts dilusional pictures in peoples minds. And I also hate when people say MEXICO is in the middle of nasty violence.......do you know HOW BIG MEXICO is:confused: Yes they are having nasty violence in various parts of Mexico.

By your discription you make it sound like when you leave the port and catch a taxi you are going to be exposed to this. Especially with your comments regarding Miami.

I am behind the cruise industries decision 100% also. But comments like this do nothing but cause wrongful fear. Stay away from where the violence is but the violence is not the whole country of Mexico...

Let me ask you this MissDiva1........what part of the country do you live in, and are you privy to any information about the violence in Mexico? I'm not talking about "the Mazatlan times" or cruise blogs, or local newspaper reports, are you privy to real, sensitive, information about what is going on in Mexico? You seem to be SOOOOOOO caught up in your point to prove that Mazatlan does not have a bridge to hang bodies from, that I feel you are missing the point completely.

I'm not trying to put "delusional" pictures in peoples minds, believe me, I can put the real pictures in your mind if you wanted to see them. What I posted previously was a piece (only reported) of the violence in Mazatlan over the past two weeks, TWO WEEKS!!!!!!

If consensus of people reading this thread is that I am out of control, and trying to scare you, then I apologize and will stop immediately. If I were traveling to another country, and someone could provide a piece of information about that country that travel industry did not, I would welcome it, take it into consideration, and make a decision that is best for me and my family.

What do you think would have to happen for an entire cruise industry to skip a port? Do you think it would have to be something serious? Do you think their skipping the port because of the violence hundreds of miles away, or close to that port?

I wish everyone great vacations, much safety, and happy times

What a shame.

and here's what "grips" me......

You state that most of the crime is coming from Guadalajara, how do you know this? how do you know the owner of the nightclub was in big in drugs???? comments like this put delusional pictures in peoples minds....

Let me ask you this MissDiva1........what part of the country do you live in, and are you privy to any information about the violence in Mexico? I'm not talking about "the Mazatlan times" or cruise blogs, or local newspaper reports, are you privy to real, sensitive, information about what is going on in Mexico? You seem to be SOOOOOOO caught up in your point to prove that Mazatlan does not have a bridge to hang bodies from, that I feel you are missing the point completely.

I'm not trying to put "delusional" pictures in peoples minds, believe me, I can put the real pictures in your mind if you wanted to see them. What I posted previously was a piece (only reported) of the violence in Mazatlan over the past two weeks, TWO WEEKS!!!!!!

If consensus of people reading this thread is that I am out of control, and trying to scare you, then I apologize and will stop immediately. If I were traveling to another country, and someone could provide a piece of information about that country that travel industry did not, I would welcome it, take it into consideration, and make a decision that is best for me and my family.

What do you think would have to happen for an entire cruise industry to skip a port? Do you think it would have to be something serious? Do you think their skipping the port because of the violence hundreds of miles away, or close to that port?

I wish everyone great vacations, much safety, and happy times

I'm not caught up in anything. It is how people portray Mexico. When you used your analogy about crime in Miami, L.A. etc.....why didn't you just say the United States:confused: Do you see what I am getting at:confused:

I know there is violence in several parts of Mexico. And if it is getting into the area of Mazatlan then the cruisleines are doing the right thing. I would stay away too. I never denied this.

And yes I do have family in several areas of Mexico. And they are all just fine by the way because where they live there is no violence.......and yes they live in MEXICO. But they also have common sense not to be hanging out in a parking lot at 2 or 3 in the morning drinking after a concert;)

Did you read the thread about the pastor that got in an accident while driving a jeep in Cozumel? And did you read the posts of how frightened alot of people are now to even go to MEXICO in that thread:confused:

And this is Cozumel.....and you and I both know it is safe there.

and here's what "grips" me......

You state that most of the crime is coming from Guadalajara, how do you know this? how do you know the owner of the nightclub was in big in drugs???? comments like this put delusional pictures in peoples minds....

If I said the most crime is from Guadalajara, then I apologize. I should have said alot of crime is happening there. Our neighbors are from there and still have family there.

Here is the singer in the band that was shot in the parking lot of that nightclub in the wee hours in the morning while drinking.

You can make up your own mind about what kind of people he draws to his concert. If I have time I will post his lyrics about drug and gangs that he sings. I could be wrong but I don't think he draws American tourists to

his concerts

sinaloa%2B100.jpg

Save the lyrics, I am very familiar with "narco corridos". Anyway, I'm not even sure where this took a turn......I was just trying to prove a point about the violence in Mazatlan, and you seemed to be in disbelief because there are no bridges in Mazatlan to hang people from......This thread was about Mazatlan specifically so I thought I would offer my two cents. I am surprised that you did not even question my "two weeks" worth of headlines about Mazatlan violence, and I would encourage you to look into them if you have the means, or vet me privately.

I hear what your saying about Cozumel, and I agree. however, now that I know you could be put in jail for a traffic accident (and I would research it before I ever go again), I would re-consider the pros and cons of a car rental. And I appreciate the information that allows me to make an informative decision. What killed me, was that you jumped on this thread with an attitude of "what bridge, there are no bridges???????", "what freeway, there are no freeways????????" therefore the violence does not exist....without having an open mind that maybe it does (and it does)

Save the lyrics, I am very familiar with "narco corridos". Anyway, I'm not even sure where this took a turn......I was just trying to prove a point about the violence in Mazatlan, and you seemed to be in disbelief because there are no bridges in Mazatlan to hang people from......This thread was about Mazatlan specifically so I thought I would offer my two cents. I am surprised that you did not even question my "two weeks" worth of headlines about Mazatlan violence, and I would encourage you to look into them if you have the means, or vet me privately.

I hear what your saying about Cozumel, and I agree. however, now that I know you could be put in jail for a traffic accident (and I would research it before I ever go again), I would re-consider the pros and cons of a car rental. And I appreciate the information that allows me to make an informative decision. What killed me, was that you jumped on this thread with an attitude of "what bridge, there are no bridges???????", "what freeway, there are no freeways????????" therefore the violence does not exist....without having an open mind that maybe it does (and it does)

Where did I say the violence does not exist:confused: I said I agreed that the cruise ships should pull out. Nothing took a turn you just refuse to understand who was targeted at that nightclub. You know...one of the shootings that was on your list. I guess maybe I shouldn't be surprised that the media just said bodies were hanging from a bridge in Mazatlan without saying where it was. Or letting the public know that it was not in the city. Afterall they don't let people know the truth about the people that were shot either. They just focus on the violence itself.

And it is ok that you totally ignored my grip;) But then again your last paragraph pretty much told me I am wasting my time with this little debate. You say you live close to the border and you didn't know that a traffic accident in Mexico is a crime not a violation?

And yes I still would like to know where this bridge is:p Happy sailings:)

Here's hoping we still have MAZATLAN on our April 1 cruise!

I doubt we'll be going but I continue to hope. We selected this cruise for the longer itinerary which included Mazatlan. I'm not worried about violence on Stone Island or with the goats on Goat Mountain. We were really looking forward to eating at the family owned and operated Lety's on the beach. Even the beach vendors are nice on Stone Island. :(

Gina

I doubt we'll be going but I continue to hope. We selected this cruise for the longer itinerary which included Mazatlan. I'm not worried about violence on Stone Island or with the goats on Goat Mountain. We were really looking forward to eating at the family owned and operated Lety's on the beach. Even the beach vendors are nice on Stone Island. :(

Gina

Thank you!!! Some really wonderful people are being hurt by this. May they find a resolution to these problems so innocent people can continue to make a living!!!

Hrdtail what is it like in tijauana (sp) ? we are sailing splender in august and want to take a day trip down there from san diego. since you live there I wanted your opinion if you would do a day trip or not we are 48 47 daughter 16 thanks:)

Archived